How long do you stay in love?

by Thegoodgirl 58 Replies latest social relationships

• oompa
    oompa
    Vivamus: "I've lost that loving feeeeeeling, whooho, that loving feeling" ... Thats a song right? Well, It's me too. But perhaps I just never have fallen in love for real.

Geeze Vivamus....I love your avatar and now feel like flying to a cold country to teach you about it!!!........................oompa

• lesterd
    lesterd

The honeymoon started July 2, 1966 and ended March 27, 2000 when she died of cancer. It was a high that has never been match and I'm still in love with her.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

A question as old as can be.

The newness of the relationship wears out for most, but the love doesn't wear out for all.
    Most people who are not at each other's throats over issues can keep the love. But they
    do lose that "spark" of excitement in most cases.

Changing something helps. When the kids are grown and gone, vacations might keep
    a couple going, or a shared hobby such as golf or sailing or wine-tasting or whatever they
    want to try. Also, major remodeling of the home or their life keeps a spark going.

Some just get more used to each other and don't need the spark anymore.

Sorry, the answer is all over the map. Some need that spark and feel they lost it and
    see a new conquest walking down the street. Many people like new stuff, so they ditch
    the old. What a shame.

What helps me is not to put my standards on others. Some married (or became partners)
    for their own reasons- security, pregnancy, loneliness, sex, excitement. Who are others
    to tell them they must stay together? Although, if you really loved the other, you would do
    your best to communicate your feelings with them and maybe go to therapy together before
    just walking away. Still, if that were done, maybe they both wanted to split, or maybe one
    never loved the other.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

lesterd - that is very touching that you remain in love. I'm sorry you lost her.

• JAVA
    JAVA
    The one I lost because he was not a Witness still hurts the most. It's just one of those "what if" thangs.

This is so true! I dearly loved a girl in my Jr & Sr year of HS, but she was Catholic and I broke it off. I love her to this very day, and that was 42-years ago.

Yes, I still wonder, "what if?"

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

Quote:
    "I think that the "in love" feeling can actually happen with long standing relationships/marriages. But you can't have it like that ALL of the time. It would wear everyone out. It ebbs and flows, trickles and gushes throughout the passage of time together."

I totally agree, Crumpet... well sad.

• oompa
    oompa
    lestered: The honeymoon started July 2, 1966 and ended March 27, 2000 when she died of cancer. It was a high that has never been match and I'm still in love with her.

Lester, I really don't know how you get over it. This post touched me deeply. I had that high with my first wife, and it went sour.....I really with she had just died as I may have been able to move on better.................take care..............oompa

• Vivamus
    Vivamus
    Geeze Vivamus....I love your avatar and now feel like flying to a cold country to teach you about it!!!........................oompa

Lol, cold country and cold people as my sis-in-law once said ... Well, I believe love will last forever, so hence my statement (somebody teach me! )

Lester, your words are moving My grandparents talked of each other like that, how wonderful you have had such love.

• Maddie
    Maddie

The initial feeling of being ïn love" is when you think the person is perfect, when this stage passes and you start to see the flaws but you still love them is the "real love".

Maddie

• oompa
    oompa

I soooooo want the spark back.....Sometimes I wonder if everytime I have been "in love" if it was only infatuation......I say infatuation rocks!!!! There is nothing higher!............................damn I wish I was 22 again..........................................................................oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit