How long do you stay in love?

by Thegoodgirl 58 Replies latest social relationships

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth
    Maxwell said: " Real love is much more rational, and permanent. You might start out "in love", but after a while you see the faults, then each person does that something pisses the other off really bad, and they decide that they still love each other."
    Burn said: " "Real" love is not like that, and it is not easy either-even though it usually starts with the "falling in love" stage. But over time, it grows, and becomes something much greater than the emotional mania of "falling in love". Any crumb bum can fall in love. The other love, like all good things, requires a certain kind of commitment."
    FHN said: "Define love. Love isn't infatuation or lust, though it can include those things. Real love is sharing and sacrifice. Real loves grows and transforms over years and decades. It's not static. And the initial magic can change into a bigger, richer, more complex magic. When I had real love, it did not ever die.
    Sparkplug said: I think there are people I will always love. But being IN love. Well that is different. I truly believe that. I have friends I love. I really wish them well. But I am not in love even on a friendship level to where I will do anything for them as I would when I am IN love. I believe you can fall in love with your friends...even of the same sex. That is what makes the love so strong. It is just maybe you don't need sex from them. If sex is not love...than I love many........"
    Lesterd said: "The honeymoon started July 2, 1966 and ended March 27, 2000 when she died of cancer. It was a high that has never been match and I'm still in love with her"

Maxwell you made me laugh with your "then someone pisses the other off and then they decide to stay." In the vernacular, that just about sums it up For the first couple of years, nothing the other person does can take away that passionate glow of love. The power of attraction, be it physical, emotional or spiritual is so strong that no one can tell you anything negative about your lover. No one can "reason" with you that this person is not the right one for you. Then reality sets in! If you are not truly committed, truly love that person, the marriage can fail. We have a daughter (came to us at 14) who has been married 5 times. She tells me that she "loses that feeling of being in love" and then she goes looking for it in someone else. She believes that marriage is the right thing to do, hence her five marriages.

I have heard people says "they fall in love". I do not think that is true. I think people fall "in lust" and mistake that physical attraction for love. I believe in todays world through television, movies, the media that sex has been mistaken for love, hence the expression "make love = sex." Almost every movie, there is someone jumping into bed with someone else, it is almost as casual as "would you like a cup of coffee". I think this portrayal of "love" is very dangerous for young people, because I believe that the sex act binds you to a person on an emotional level to some degree and when you have multiple sex partners you fraction your being.

Burn said it well. Love requires a committment through all the hard times. There are times when your mate may be so exasperating that you feel like killing them, but if you are committed to the relationship, you get through it. Love conquers all things.

FHN said that love is infatuation and lust. Yes it is, at first. If you really love someone, at first all the wonderful feelings of love, sex, passion are the whole reason for being. You don't even have to think about anything else. The relationship carries you through. But when the feelings wear off, (and they will to some extent more or less over the years) then you are left with the more important things like committment, caring for the other's needs and accepting them for who they are. Love becomes deeper and more meaningful when you encounter hardships and get through it together.

I agree with Sparkplug, I think you can truly love many people, deeply love them without sex. Over the years of my life, I have had a few of these deep, loving relationships. They are powerful and enduring.

Lesterd: I am so sorry that you lost your love at such an early age. I can't even imagine your pain. Please accept my love and condolences.

By coincidence, today is my husband Joe's and my 59th anniversary. When we got married it was the passionate, soul-mate relationship that you think will never leave, but it does. If you don't have a deep loving committment in place at that point, if each person does not nurture the relationship, it will fail. Over the years, as some of you know, the sex becomes a little less and finally (in some cases) is gone entirely. Joe is almost 81 and has diabetes, but we love each other more than we did at the beginning of our marriage. One day, one of us will go on to be with our Lord (or as some believe on this board to non-existence) however our lives have been full. I will not regret whatever happens because I have loved and been loved largely.

Love and hugs,

Gramma Velta

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

I haven't been married long (not like some of the posters on this thread have), but I can safely say that I do love my husband more today than the day we got married.

As for the future, I hope it stays that way.

• Bourne
    Bourne

As long as it takes......but seriously, after reading all the posts thus far, I'm both depressed and encouraged. Depressed in that I'm presently without that kind of lasting,

passionate love that some write about....and encouraged in that I know that, to some extent, life is what I make it. There is always the future. One thing that

has helped as well is acknowledging that life is finite. It is to be lived. "Life is not a dress rehearsal." ............That said, BRING IT ON!

Bourne (of the..."any takers?" -women, that is....sheep class )

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Lester...my honeymoon started in 1958 and sadly ended in 2002...we would have been married 45 years that year.I too am still so in love with him. When you have that deep love I don't think it ever goes away.

Someone here said that they become an extension of yourself, that is true.That is why it feels like your heart is broken when they die.... And no matter how long they have been with you it is never enough.

We had plenty of problems..life wasn't always a bowl of cheeries..fights over kids..money..relatives..friends..but we never considered divorce.

One of the hardest things we faced was when we left the JW religion and later he went back. That hurt my heart. I felt like I lost a part of him then. I have a feeling that he knew he was getting sick. He really needed religion in his life then. I accepted that and it still hurt, but the pain went away when he squeezed my hand and told me he loved me before he died.

Snoozy..

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Forever - depends on if you are asking how long do you stay in LUST and how long in LOVE

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Well, Stilla, if I have ever loved a guy and I have loved at least three, I have never stopped lusting after him.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Lester and Snoozy, thanks. It's beautiful that you have shared such a lifetime with your mates.

OnTheWayOut: thanks for the practical tips. Sometimes they work, sometimes not...

Cumpet: Love your direct common sense. The fact that good times in marriage/relationships ebb and flows is so true. I find that we have good seasons and bad seasons.

Vetta: Happy Anniversary! :)

SAJWE: not sure what I am asking. Lust doesn't last. But "in-love", I guess I mean feeling like some of the above posters who feel complete with their S.O, feel still in love but in a more "full and complex way."

• chickpea
    chickpea

that "in love" aspect has to be rekindled periodically.... i know that i can enumerate at least 3 times i "fell in love" with my husband after we were already married.... but sadly i am no longer even interested as he has proven untrustworthy and has no respect for me..... that ship has definitely sailed....

i do however have an enduring love for him as a fellow human being and the father of my children......

i hope the wisdom of the midwife who caught our second child rings true, that one of the magical things about falling in love is that you never see it coming.....

• serendipity
    serendipity

Velta: Congrats and Happy Anniversary! Very beautiful: "By coincidence, today is my husband Joe's and my 59th anniversary.... Joe is almost 81 and has diabetes, but we love each other more than we did at the beginning of our marriage. One day, one of us will go on to be with our Lord (or as some believe on this board to non-existence) however our lives have been full. I will not regret whatever happens because I have loved and been loved largely. "

My feelings of infatuation lasted anywhere from 6 - 18 months. I don't think I've experienced true love.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I soooooo want the spark back.....Sometimes I wonder if everytime I have been "in love" if it was only infatuation......I say infatuation rocks!!!! There is nothing higher!............................damn I wish I was 22 again..........................................................................oompa

For Oompa and others who are at that numb spot in a marriage or long term relationship. Please read these lyrics carefully and take them to heart. This is the answer to how to get the spark back. And remember, all relationships get comfortable. Ones that start out too hot and heavy and crazyheadoverhills end very quickly. By the way, I never really got over being infatuated over my highschool sweetheart first husband, may he rest in peace.

The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of

Lyrics by: Carly Simon
    Music by: Carly Simon

Take a look around now
    Change the direction
    Adjust the tuning
    Try a new translation
    Don't look at your man in the same old way
    Take a new picture
    Just because you don't see shooting stars
    Doesn't mean it isn't perfect
    Can't you see

It's the stuff that dreams are made of
    It's the slow and steady fire
    It's your heart and soul's desire

So what's this about your best friend?
    She's got a brand new shiny boy
    And they're moving out to Malibu
    To play with all his pretty toys
    And you feel closed in by the same four walls
    The same old conversation
    With the same old guy you've known for years
    But use your imagination
    And you will see

It's the slow and steady fire
    It's your heart and soul's desire

What if the Prince on the horse in your fairytale
    Is right here in disguise?
    And what if the stars you've been reaching so high for
    Are shining in his eyes?
    Oh yeah

Don't look at yourself in the same old way
    Take another picture
    Shoot the stars off in your own backyard
    Don't look any further
    And you will see
    It's the stuff that dreams are made of....

© 1987 C'est Music Inc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit