Surely the WT wouldn't LIE about motel/hotel accommodations?!?

by RisingEagle 30 Replies latest jw friends

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Hey Dagney-isn't that called Starving for the Jehovah real estate corp. Spend less-give more.

• Scully
    Scully

Basically, hotels on the "approved" list are ones that have negotiated a "group rate" with WTS convention organizers. Sometimes a free room or two for a JW big wig is part of the deal. The rates are not necessarily better than what you would get if you shopped around or used your AAA / CAA / Diner's Club (etc.) membership discounts.

The hotels that are NOT on the "approved" list are the ones that either would not give the WTS the "group rate" that was proposed or for some other reason did not negotiate with the WTS (prior complaints about JW behaviour, for example).

Essentially, the WTS is instructing JWs to boycott hotels that do not give them what they want. Often the rates are higher than what you could get if you did your own legwork. It has absolutely nothing to do with the hotels being fleatraps, because I do recall one "approved list" motel that we stayed in, that had a huge squished moth stuck on the wall that housekeeping and management refused to clean up, and left soiled linen from the previous occupants on the beds (and refused to change the bedding). That was my first convention experience ever, and one I won't forget.

Personally, I hated seeing JWs at the hotels we stayed at. It was embarrassing to see God's Chosen Peopleā„¢ behaving like barbarians at the restaurant buffet, and letting their kids run wild through the facilities while the parents lounged by the pool or in their rooms, socializing with other parents and being completely oblivious to the kids' shenanigans.

• LennyinBluemont
    LennyinBluemont

On a related topic, years ago we applied to be delegates to an international convention in Ukraine and were accepted. (Oh, what a wonderful privilege!! Can't wait to see and encourage the brothers and sisters in Ukraine! ) When we got information from the "tour" company I was amazed at the price we were being charged. So, just to compare, I spoke with a number of local travel agents to get prices on what would amount to the same tour, same boat trip, guided tours of museums, etc. etc. Doing the closest comparison possible, the most expensive quote I got was less than half what the Society's "tour" company was charging us. And with the Society, we were travelling with a large group, so we should have qualified for volume discounts. So I called the Society and asked why the tour was so expensive, when travelling as a couple, several companies would provide the same things, including airfare, length of stay, class of hotels, cruises, etc. for less than half what we were being charged as part of the Society's "arrangement". All I got was a bullshit answer like, "Well, brother, it is very difficult to coordinate a large group like this with all the buses and planes and have everything synchronized the way we need it to be, so it's a lot more work involved." I told him that I could understand that, but given the fact we should be getting volume discounts, even if some aspects were more expensive, it should still not be any more expensive than pricing anyone can get any day of the week. He didn't have an answer for that. We cancelled the trip. I hate being lied to. Another little "light" that should have awakened me, but alas, the indoctrination ran too deep.

• chickpea
    chickpea

dagney:

Another funny thing is the society gives strict counsel about not going to any of the food places, even the coffee carts, within the arena. Here people are traveling, do not have kitchens in hotel rooms, and they are not to use the convenience of the local merchants because it takes away from "socializing with the brotherhood" during the session breaks.

this happened in the rochester minn DCs, where a series of skywalks connected the convention site to hotels and malls with food courts... the first year i missed convention, an elderly sister told me that the society was really cracking down on the ones who ignored the direction to stay in the convention center!!

they had "attendants" taking names of individuals who had the temerity to buy a cuppa in the mall!! she justified it saying that the R&F had to be trained to obey so as not to risk getting as far as the big A and dying because of not following a seemingly simple directive!!

i found the situation to be idiotically manipulative and insulting.....i believe that was the beginning of the end for me....

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

I just spoke to a family member on the phone, they are resting comfortably at one of the motels I found. I tried to work in the question if anybody had bugged them about using a non-approved motel, but they wouldn't take the bait. I guess the day-long indoctrination is keeping them toeing the jw line.

Perhaps when they get back from the assembly I can push the topic by asking them if they enjoyed their stay and aren't they glad I found them accommodations that didn't cause them a possible 50 mile drive. It should be interesting.

• horrible life
    horrible life

I wonder what the media would say, about the hotel, food, leaving the convention policies?

I can just imagine an investigative news report on JW's being kept captive in the convention center. Poor hot dog vendor stand, with no business. Pan the camera, back to the mother with 3 kids, unable to find anything for the kids to eat. Nearby food businesses, expecting an influx of patrons, had extra lunch time help, it cost them money, instead of making money.

Another mother is interviewed. She counts on her second job, of working evenings at the convention center, in the concession stand. The JW's don't want the stands open. She loses money.

The hotels and motels all around have no vacancies, except 1 very nice hotel. The JW's say that they are not on the list. A LIST??

Instead of the convention center, which was in part, paid for by our taxes, drawing out of town money into our city, it has cost us.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Are your family in a poor-quality room? Actually, best not to rub it in; for all I know you're in a difficult situation already anyway.

International conventions: yep the extraordinary price would be to cover the fare and room for the Bethelites who are travelling on your ticket. Any time I've arranged a big travel group I've been offered my place for free, and I've spread the discount over the people going. The extraordinary expense of any bethel-organised international convention tour is to cover the additional cost of subsidising many bethel hangers-on. What a privilege!

• Dagney
    Dagney

they had "attendants" taking names of individuals who had the temerity to buy a cuppa in the mall!! she justified it saying that the R&F had to be trained to obey so as not to risk getting as far as the big A and dying because of not following a seemingly simple directive!!

chickpea, wow, I read somewhere else that they took names...that just sounds nuts to me! Really!

Hi Lenny! How are you?

Doing the closest comparison possible, the most expensive quote I got was less than half what the Society's "tour" company was charging us

I heard the same thing. But you get to pay the premium to be an "international delegate" I guess, and they all pay it!! Just like the bids on the RBC projects that are waaay over outside general contractor's bids. It's a business and noone should forget that the WBTS is a publishing business. They have developed and locked in a customer that will write them a check on demand. Ssvvy businessmen aren't they?

• choosing life
    choosing life

We always needed a room close to the convention related to a sick family member. There was a hotel attached to the convention center where we were assigned. Even if we called as soon as the meeting was over, it was always already booked. I asked the elders about some consideration for the handicapped and they said it was just first come, first serve.

Guess who was staying at the attached hotel? Yep, all the elders and their families. so we booked a room at that hotel on a floor that was not approved by the society, a special more expensive room. It was the only way the sick family member could attend. Boy did we get a lot of snotty looks and comments.

The last convention I attended, they told us we couldn't buy a hotdog from the vendor on the street outside. Ignored that counsel too and had enough of the whole charade.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I'm sure jehovah will bless their faithfulness

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit