active and happy jw

by scumgrief 151 Replies latest jw friends

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

SG,
    Welcome to the board, and please excuse the repetition. But it is a breath of fresh air to me as well, that an active JW, can express themselves without being judgmental and belligerent.
    I too was raised as a Witness. I went on a regualar basis to the congregation I was raised in, moved to where the need was greater in 1979, and then moved to where the need was even greater in 1981. I am sorry to say that in each of those congregations, I saw cliques, backbiting, and hypocrisy. And a serious inabiltiy on the part of the elders to be fair and impartial and merciful. My parents and two of my brothers are still in the org. One brother along with his wife are at the Farm. The other brother and his wife pioneered for a long while until children started coming along. Also much of my extended family is still in. I am sorry to say that those I personally know about have experienced much injustice. Although they still hold on to their faith, which I do not judge them for. Whatever works for them.
    I do have a problem with the change of attitude I have seen in them since I decided I no longer wanted to carry the JW name. They refuse to talk to me, refuse to meet my husband who never was a JW and even apparently think he is evil according to the things they have said to me.
    Just to touch on a few of the specific things you said. The third congregation I moved to was in WV. Which you probably know is big hunting country. An elder told me personally that there was one very fine brother who was being held back from responsibilities because he hunted for sport. In this same congregation, many were not used for various reasons ie. length of hair ect. Yet many who were very poor examples were used. I have seen this over and over again over the years.
    I did move to another congregation before I called it quits. They were somewhat better on a personal level and in how they treated each other, but only to a point. Not enough to make me stay in. Even with the great loss of family and friends I knew I would experience if I decided not to remain a Witness.
    I do wish you could be more specific about the lies about the WT that you referred to. I would be very interested to know what they are and why you considered them to be lies.
    Thanks for being so peacable.
    TW

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Scum, let me add my welcome to those already here. I know that a lot of challenges have been 'thrown' at you. Your comments indicate that you are perhaps not as deeply immersed into the faith as some of us were/are. Take your time and do only what feels comfortable.

I will start a thread shortly and I would appreciate your comments. You will find me mild and lowly in heart.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• DIM
    DIM

scum -

it sounds like you have a nice congregation - I've heard that they do exist but i've always thought that was a rumour. In my hall there are "unspoken" rules such as - no sideburns past the halfway point of your ears, if you have a part it has to be a suit, not a jacket and dress pants that are different colors, if a brother is reaching out to be a MS he will not be considered before the age of 25. the hall where I grew up was even weirder, w/ the emphasis on protecting the kids of elders while ruining the lives of those who aren't kids of elders (almost got me). I wish you well in what you are looking for - but my wife and I are on the way out of this religion.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

ScumGrief,

WELCOME TO THE BOARD DUDE!
    Finally, an intelligent Jdub to converse with. (No offense FRED).

You're doing well for yourself here, it's kind of exciting. I look forward to discussing some doctrinal issues with you in the future. It should be stimulating.

Again, welcome, stick around, ignore the idiots and have fun.

Yeru (who ain't a dub no way)

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

I am just wondering if Scum is a reflection of the mainstreaming that we have discussed. I think it's great to see someone who's somewhat getting on with life, doing what he likes to do, acting his age, and not being a judgemental ass. We are so shocked because this is not the norm of what many of us grew up with.
    I've said before, the org will evolve, or die. The youth of today will not stay in the coffins we were raised in (or they attempted to raise us in). I think they will opt for evolution. She is, in the end, totally dependant upon her adherants.
    B.

• scumgrief
    scumgrief

It does seem to me, when I here from some of you, and even from older ones in the area where I live, that there may be an evolution of some degree that has happened. I do know that the society is now instead of "telling" you not to do certain things (r-rated movies, heavy-metal music) they are just leaving it up to the individual to decide for himself. From talking to my friends, it seems to be happening all over.

scum

• battman
    battman

Hi Scummer,
    I will try to take a deep breath and chill out some,
    thanks for that thought in your response to my rant
    about "door to door" interpretation. However,

You said that your use of this phrase was just a
    figure of speech. maybe so, but where does the
    "fuzzy (math) language" stop and the "truth" begin?

You, as current spokesman/defender of the WT
    doctrine can't have it both ways and then try to
    capture that moral, legal, intellectually honest
    hugh ground with "fuzz", parsed words and kind
    phrases.

Let's cut to the chase. I, as many here have asked
    for your proof of your (WT's) beliefs. As one earlier
    poster said "test". A test would entail some postion
    then proving it's validity. Just as dubs harshly cast
    aspersions on those "householders" and "worldly"
    ones who are unable to make a coherent case for
    their believes other than "i believe therefore its true"
    IMHO you fall into the same category but are just
    more diplomatic and polite so far.

cheers,

battman

• ItsJustMe
    ItsJustMe

If you were an active and happy JW, you would know that posting anything to this website could jeopardize that. In fact, just reading anything on this website has changed that, hasn't it?

• scumgrief
    scumgrief

Itsjustme: I believe that my faith is strong enough to prevent me from jeopardizing anything by being here. And no, it has not already.

If I wasn't active and happy I wouldn't say I was, so please don't try to make me question myself.

Batty: I aplologize for not being able to get in to any in-depth discussions yet. What are you interested in my position about? Please just pick one at a time. I'll do my best to defend my beliefs, but we both know that eventually it will just end up in a stalemate.

scum

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

Dear Scum,
    This evolution makes me happy and saddened at the same time. I mean, ultimately, I'm happy that the organization would be loosening its chokehold on people's spirits, even if it is begrudgingly, and probably because of us nasty ole' aspostates who speak up after having left.
    But again, sad, because so much youth here was wasted. Even if you dismiss the deaths due to refused blood transfusions, organ transplants, and suicides (you might, at a later time want to investigate these), I grieve for my lost youth. I was never meant to be a witness (it's like a gay person trying to assimilate into a straight society--you always just "know" you're different from the collective). I would have jumped on a college education with both feet, and, btw, my parents could've afforded it (my dad had the good fortune of completing his education before being converted). I would've loved Christmas, sports, a normal childhood, etc. This was not allowed. For those of us raised in the truth, Malcomb X's words speak volumes on our behalf: "WE DIDN'T LAND ON PLYMOUTH ROCK, PLYMOUTH ROCK LANDED ON US!!!!!!!"
    Alas, however, I know that feasibly the organization cannot be sued for reparations. And how could you quantify lost youth? Best just to live the best you can for today, and be glad for the possibly few good years you have left and live them to the fullest. I'm in college at 31 with 2 children and a full time job (would've been easier at 18 and childless, but...) Oh well, perhaps my voice, in some small way loosens the chokehold on you--the younger generation. Sometimes I muse, though, if everything they taught me was true, (which it isn't), they would sure have amassed a lot of blood guilt for all the lost souls they left in their devastating, loveless wake.
    Love and peace,
    Bridgette
    p.s. I'm glad you're sticking around and still not sinking to attacks. You're what a witness (or anyone who claims to speak for god) should be. You're someone I might not slam the door on, if I knew nothing about witnesses, and you were my first exposure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit