Does Debating Have to Be Abusive - To Be Effective ?

by flipper 143 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I have tried to understand the type of people that I'm conversing with. When I try to communicate with Johnny, I recognize that all I'm going to get is angry verbal punches thrown at me. I will say my peace and recognize there's no use in trying to win an argument. When I try to discuss something with Flipper, I know I can find a meeting of the minds. When I respond to Onacruse, I know that you have to think like a chess player because he doesn't always spell out his opinion right away but will ask you for your opinion and then try to pull your view apart. When I deal with you, Hillary, I recognize the viewpoint you have of yourself vs. most others here and factor that in.

To try to "debate" you or anyone else is sometimes, (a) boring, (b) unnecessary or (c) counter-productive.

There are very few times I see the need to "debate" with another. Once I express my personal experiences, my views, and my conclusions, I do not feel I must have anyone else's validation. If they think I'm a dumbass for it, so be it. No one here is all that anything.....and if we need this or any other discussion board to feel better about ourselves, well, that's just too bad.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

NO

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,
    Here's some advise from The Message

Colossians 2 (The Message)
    8-10 Watch out for people who try to dazzle you with big words and intellectual double-talk. They want to drag you off into endless arguments that never amount to anything. They spread their ideas through the empty traditions of human beings and the empty superstitions of spirit beings. But that's not the way of Christ. Everything of God gets expressed in him, so you can see and hear him clearly. You don't need a telescope, a microscope, or a horoscope to realize the fullness of Christ, and the emptiness of the universe without him. When you come to him, that fullness comes together for you, too. His power extends over everything.

All the best,
    Stephen

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Unconfused,

Why is it that people seem compelled to point out how smart they think HS and farkel are when they are about to disagree? Is it because they hope to placate them and reduce the amount of backlash they are about to receive?

If you are referring to Minimus, believe me Minimus can handle himself in a joust as well as the next man and has kicked my arse around the Board once or twice.

I am not here to defend Farkel, he can do so himself if he wishes. He and I have had disgreements too.

By the way, I do not 'do' backlash. I respond to posts in the spirit which they are written. I never to my knowledge have ever cast the first stone. But people should not think they can insult without a backlash, and that includes me. If I cast the first stone, then I should expect all that comes my way.

Have you ever, even once seen me whining for moderators help, or not able to stand my ground on an issue even when there are ten people opposed and it has become a partisan shark-fest, in which all who have had their arse handed to them at one time or the other come out of the shadows and join the mob?

You see, I take responsibility for my words.

Now, I have thrashed this subject to death the past few days and have no intention of wasting any more time trying to bring sight to the blind. ;)

HS

• minimus
    minimus

Well put Hillary. Your best post so far!

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear journey-on...

"But I also love the arrogant, in your face, I know what I'm talking about SOBs that could give a sh*t less

what you or anyone else thinks. "...

I'll take this one ...but arrogant?...naw.

I've called everyone one here a name once cuz I was kinda drunk...sure wish I could go back and add about 8 double paralizer icons to that post.

And I called Gumby a name once...but he liked it!

love michelle

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate
    hillary_stepUnconfused,Re: Does Debating Have to Be Abusive - To Be Effective ?
    Post 7706 of 7706
    since 13-Apr-01

IP: zLRBsl92EDl5OSmw
    minimusRe: Does Debating Have to Be Abusive - To Be Effective ?

Post 23674 of 23674
    since 03-Jul-02

Well put Hillary. Your best post so far!
    IP: nI1t/Cq1SNWrI0xO

Indeed. It reminds of that song that goes: "You say it best when you say nothing at all." Here's to hoping all the rest of hillary's posts are as devoid of hatred and insults as the above.

Perhaps hillary's finally learning to "play nice", lol.

BA- Lulz.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Did you see that?

LMAO!

How the hell did you do that HS? Brill! Two birds with one stone!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Bizzy,

How the hell did you do that HS? Brill!

lol...a complete accident I assure you, as accidental as BA's birth in fact. ;)

BA,

lol...'Devoid of hatred'. Why is that that fundie Christians like you view all the hateful things you say as a tiara on a wallowing pig? You have nothing to feel proud about as many on the Board have tasted your spitefulness and know you well.

But I am sure that will not worry you, you are after all a callous in God's right hand. ;)

HS

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

As long as you say - "lol" - afterwards you can say anything you want. Ask OUTLAW. LOL!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit