Does Debating Have to Be Abusive - To Be Effective ?

by flipper 143 Replies latest jw friends

• juni
    juni

god............. too funny HS!! You actually took my words personally. LMAO....

This is Flipper's thread and I was answering his question... I did not even consider anyone's posts before me..... you not playing fair w/others guy? You need to repent? hee heee

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Satanus,

Perhaps, to make it a little more challenging, you could do both sides of the arguement, the protagonist and the antagonist. Or, would that be the antagonist and the protagonist? ;)

lol...Maybe I will try this one next time. I certainly think I could put up a better defense for a universally 'cuddly' Board that those who have written to me by PM, or posted online to the tune: "I think it is uneccessary for you to be so aggressive in the way that you write, you arrogant, selfish, pin-brained bastard"....lol

HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello Juni,

god............. too funny HS!! You actually took my words personally. LMAO....

Now, what makes you think that? I was suggesting that you identify your target. I just want to be proved right, that's all....lol

HS

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"son of an damp underpant"

:googles to find out if this is even possible:

• juni
    juni
    I did not even consider anyone's posts before me...

read my words again ..... is your conscience bothering you?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Juni,

read my words again ..... is your conscience bothering you?

Stop abusing me or I will report you to the elders. :)

Frankly I do not have a clue what you are talking about Juni, and somehow I think neither have you. I read your words, but you obviously did not read mine.

You referred to some unknown people on this Board as 'assholes', this after suggesting such language was uneccessary...lol. I merely asked you to have the courage to identify the target(s) you have in mind and fulfil all that I have posited in this thread. I have no clue who you mean, though I am astonished how dishonest some of you are, hiding like children behind such passive agressive comments. ;) Speak your mind.

As I am not an 'asshole', I am quite certain you were not referring to me. But would this would not be one of the self-deprecating comments that I have read so much about would it?...lol.

HS

• Twitch
    Twitch

For the record, I rather enjoy a "spicy" debate where those involved let it all out. There's honesty there and I always prefer that than lip service for it's own sake. Say what you want and what you mean.

I don't so much like it when the debate is obviously lopsided and the upper hand takes the opportunity for unnecessary derision. But if you're gonna enter the ring, ya gotta expect to take a few on the chin.

• wednesday
    wednesday
    A finely tuned insult has it's own brilliance.

I agree, and that is why debating can be fun. If you can get past yourself and just debate the issue, it is fun. It's sort of like the little * that allows you to use a curse word you probably would not use.

• Vinny
    Vinny

There is no way I can read through all this.

My opinion is that if one is on the wrong end of the debate issue, then it can sure look like they are being abused.

Sometimes, when you are on the right side of the issue you will look like you are abusing the wrong side of the issue.

So what, that is called "LIFE", folks.

Healthy, in-depth debate is good for all involved, IMO.

But some degree of respect and tolerance for those with opposing viewpoints should still be shown outside of debate mode.

In fact I like some atheists personally. And I have offered to take a few to swimming holes where large sharks hang out.

In such case Vinny is not the one being abusive.

That would be the sharks job.

: )

• flipper
    flipper

MENTAL CLEARNESS- I agree with you. Good points. I think the majority of posters are mature in their expressing themselves. I too have a problem with posters " who's insults and demeaning remarks are a character trait ". I feel if they spew insults they lose credibility as well. The way we express ourselves is just as important as the message we send.

SIX of NINE- I agree. Peace does rule on the board. And will continue to rule - if I have anything to say about it.

TWITCH- I agree we have to stand up for what we believe in and be bold. But, there is a right way and a wrong way of doing it. If I try to reason several times back and forth with someone and they don't listen - then continue insulting me or others - I don't waste my time conversing with them anymore. Waste of time.

BISOUS- Are you saying many here are beating a dead horse ? LOL! Really ? Coulda fooled me. LOL!

JUNI- I agree with you Juni. I feel an underlying reason people keep being a-holes and bullies and use demeaning words to others - is to bolster their own low self esteem.

JGNAT- I agree JGNAT . There is a time to insult for injustices done to people and protecting others from abuse. And there is a proper dignified way to communicate it.

SATANUS- Is that the same as being positive or negative, or a/c or d/c ? LOL!

WENESDAY- Debating can be fun if it accomplishes something- otherwise it can be exhausting !

VINNY- I'll always have the courage to come swim with your sharks over there ! In a shark protection cage that is ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit