Does Debating Have to Be Abusive - To Be Effective ?

by flipper 143 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"Peace should rule. Peace out, Mr. Flipper"

Peace does rule, dude. It's awesome!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Six,

Peace does rule, dude. It's awesome!

Now, just what do you mean by that you damn Texan son of an damp underpant? :)

Awww, come here Six, sorry I upset you. Have a cuddle, and another one, and another. Don't stop posting. We love you. Tell your pharmacist that you have lots and lots of friends so no need for medication any more.

By the way, are you a man or woman. It is very hard to tell from your avatar. ;)

HS

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

HS you do love the personal insults to boost your ego self I notice!

I never understood that take on life!

• Twitch
    Twitch
    I prefer bastard. Life has show loud and clear that if you try being noble with ulglyfaced ones they use your noble retreat as the sign of weakness and shit on your head with increased rigor.

Bystanders usually don't really know you retreated because of being noble, all they see is that you walked away. Guess who they'll think was correct all along? Especially if they don't know much about the background or the subject the argument was about in the first place.
    While am all all for being a gentleman when I'm in presence of another real gentleman or a real lady, those who insist on rudeness, however, will get it back 10-fold. Those people need to be given a mirror to see how other people see them and the only way to do it in online discussion is by accepting the challenge.

I agree with this. Turn the other cheek? What? So I can get that one slapped too? I don't think so. If you get slapped, you put the f***** down! Then they will think twice about doing it again. These are the rules.

This is not to say I'm not civil or respect the laws of social interaction when in the company of the like minded. I'm just not a passive aggressive dub puss anymore.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

R. Crusoe,

HS you do love the personal insults to boost your ego self I notice!

If you are referring to my comments to Six above, you 'notice' very little and have this in common with many posters. Six happens to be a friend, and my post happens to be satire. Just thought that you should know.

Now, as you have made mention of this supposed flawed ego of mine that you refer to, might I bring to your attention that I have read some of your posts Robinson Crusoe and found that you are actually quite easily moved to insult others yourself! Some of your posts have even offended me and I am beyond the pale. :) Are you actually transferring your own emotional issues onto me, or are you just a hypocrite? Either way, you have issues to deal with within yourself, so like many on this Board a mirror might be your first move.

The past few days on this Board have been a fascinating experiment.

Almost every person who took the high road in suggesting that 'name-calling' (and no person has yet had the courage to define what this actually means in an online envoronment) is uncalled for in debate, and has done so either online or in personal mail to me, has, as 'Cognitive Dissonance' suggested, proved my point and become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

HS

• bisous
    bisous

makes note of *damp son of an underpant* for future use. Hey!! *son of a damp underpant* would do just fine as well!

(btw, by reading this thread I have also gleaned that apparently debating does NOT have to be abusive to be effective, just repetitively long and sometimes redundant)

• juni
    juni

In a debate you should keep your focus on the moderator and not the other debator, and you should stay on topic. By following the format you don't fall prey to personal attacks.

I believe at this particular forum/discussion board some people get "into" it on a personal level for different reasons. For some they do not know how to debate fairly; others because of their past history w/a high control religion they demand that the other "see" it his/her way; and for many they feel that someone who disagrees w/them equals a personal attack. Lastly, there are those who love to be derisive and use demeaning words towards others ....a form of control I feel to bolster their own low self esteem or................. they're just asshole bullies in life.

• jgnat
    jgnat

A finely tuned insult has it's own brilliance.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    Almost every person who took the high road in suggesting that 'name-calling' (and no person has yet had the courage to define what this actually means in an online envoronment) is uncalled for in debate, and has done so either online or in personal mail to me, has, as 'Cognitive Dissonance' suggested, proved my point and become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Lastly, there are those who love to be derisive and use demeaning words towards others ....a form of control I feel to bolster their own low self esteem or................. they're just asshole bullies in life.

Now, that is good. All you need is to have the courage to identify your target and you too fall into the trap. ;)

God, this is too funny, but I am leaving this subject now as I have repeated myself so often that even I am bored with the subject.

HS

• Satanus
    Satanus

HS

Perhaps, to make it a little more challenging, you could do both sides of the arguement, the protagonist and the antagonist. Or, would that be the antagonist and the protagonist? ;)

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit