Does Debating Have to Be Abusive - To Be Effective ?

by flipper 143 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Mr Flipper,

Mrs. Flipper here chiming in... Brother apostate - great photo. Reminds me of a saying - If you roll with pigs you both get muddy but the pig likes it. The whole name calling anger thing is interesting - pretty much takes the attention off of the original subject and onto the arguers' personalities. A lot of energy spent that could go into getting ideas across and trying to understand how others think on THE SUBJECT. As for a comment made that Mr. F needs to grow up - yikes. If that ain't the pot calling the kettle black. Mrs. Flipper

I am not sure if you are aware that your post is directed at a person who has raised more hell on this Board in recent months that most anybody else and has 'name-called' to his hearts content on numerous threads....lol You really need to get your critical thinking hat on Flipper. HS

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Mrs Flipper.."Grow Up"..I do believe your referring to my first post on Mr.Flippers thread..That comment was`nt directed at Mr Flipper.....It was meant for people who take the board much more seriously than they should......It`s usually people who have`nt been here that long..And..Every thread,is a life and death matter to them..LOL!!..........Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• flipper
    flipper

I was commenting on his posting of a picture. Not his personality or posting history which has nothing to do with my observation of the photo. And this is Mrs. F here. Mr. F's at work but I'm sure he will be back to socialize with you later..... MRS. flipper

• flipper
    flipper

No, OUTLAW I wasn't referring to you but to HS. Oh boy now I'm in for it. I'm going to work now.....Mrs. Flipper

• journey-on
    journey-on

Okay. I've read this thread and if everyone doesn't mind, I'd like to put my 2 cents worth in.

I will leave this board if everybody turns into a bunch of pansies afraid to get a little hot under the collar

once in a while and spout a few peppered comments at someone participating in the argument. I love

the people that always have something nice to say and offer their words wrapped in a beautiful bow and

dot every post with smilies and flowers.

But I also love the arrogant, in your face, I know what I'm talking about SOBs that could give a sh*t less

what you or anyone else thinks. I love them all. What is one man's abusive remark is not another's....

so, unless it just gets totally and wildly out of control, LEAVE IT THE WAY IT IS, DAM*&T

• minimus
    minimus

BTW, I just wanted to say that I didn't read the whole thread before I made my comment so I wasn't giving any person here a thumbs up or thumbs down. I would like to add that just because a person might 1000000% believe they are correct on an issue, it doesn't mean they are..... 2 people might see an issue and both are diametrically opposed to one another's view. One could be right, the other wrong and still both could be off-base.

Ultimately, debating an issue usually becomes antagonistic. Whenever one argues, it tends to become a war of words and intellect. Points need to be proven for satisfaction to occur. If I lay out my position on a certain matter and I'm called on it, I will try to explain why I say whatever I've said. If I'm shown to be wrong, I will back off from my assertion and try to amend my position. But if I disagree, after hearing all the points, I won't continue to "beat a dead horse". If someone feels the need to always prove that they are right, and can NEVER see that they are wrong, what's the purpose of the debate?

I think that once people or groups express clearly, their opinions, it's time to move on. There's just no need to get nasty and egotistical. Our opinions are relative, in the big scheme of things.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Minimus,

Ultimately, debating an issue usually becomes antagonistic. Whenever one argues, it tends to become a war of words and intellect. Points need to be proven for satisfaction to occur. If I lay out my position on a certain matter and I'm called on it, I will try to explain why I say whatever I've said. If I'm shown to be wrong, I will back off from my assertion and try to amend my position. But if I disagree, after hearing all the points, I won't continue to "beat a dead horse". If someone feels the need to always prove that they are right, and can NEVER see that they are wrong, what's the purpose of the debate?

lol....I will continue to 'beat a dead horse' until people recognize their hypocrisy.

Hate to say it matey but your post above is an example of exactly what I mean. You have been involved in NUMEROUS disputes over the years and have done the exact opposite of what you advice and contend in your post above. You have actually been frequently attended to by the moderators for doing exactly what you say you do not do.

I find the hypocrisy being expressed by some of the people on this thread quite astounding. Do they actually think that the readers have not read their past posts, or that they themselves live in some of vacuum protected from the sharp edges of hypocrisy?

On the other thread to do with this issue, every single person who sneered at those who use 'abuse' others (whatever that means!) in an online debate have been guilty of doing the exact same themselves. I am tempted to list names but know that after that the whining and bleating would never cease.

Hate to say it, but some of you are acting like dumbasses....again! The sad thing is that if it were not me beating this dead horse, these people would smugly move and feel untouched in their little air castles....lol

HS

• minimus
    minimus

Hillary, I wasn't attacking you and my comment was not referencing you or anyone else specifically.

I think you are one of the brightest people here. I enjoy (usually) your wit, quickness and your positions on matters. I don't think that anyone, including you is right 100% of the time. If you believe otherwise, please let me know.

And why you think what I said is "hypocrisy" is something I just don't understand. I very rarely get into debates. I'll give my opinion for a time until there's no further use proceeding. Actually, I believe you've done this too. And that's not such a bad thing.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

HS did your diapers come off full of snow as a kid?

Some of us used to fill em to the brim but that dont mean we still do!

You can only take a person at their word and will at the present time and not go draggin all their past into the front yard! Rubbish stays at the dump and things move on!

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate
    I am not sure if you are aware that your post is directed at a person who has raised more hell on this Board in recent months that most anybody else and has 'name-called' to his hearts content on numerous threads....lol

Pot calls kettle black, anyone? This from the originator of some of the most insightful (sarcasm) posts ever to grace the pages of JWD. The hiney_spider, purveyor of some of the most vile, spiteful, arrogant, insulting, narcissistic spew to be found on the internet, operator of the internet hate machine:

PS- Grow up, and learn how 2 change your diaper already! Then look in the mirror.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit