My story: "Pop!" goes the Little Circuit Breaker

by TJ - iAmCleared2Land 115 Replies latest jw friends

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Your story is heart-rending and brings tears to my eyes...it is amazing that you have been able to rise above it all. The abuse - verbal, physical, emotional and spiritual - that you and your siblings had to endure is something no child should ever have to deal with and absolutely horrendous just to READ about. The ultimate insult is that these folks think they are joint heirs with Christ?!! God save us from any future under them. They need to have their heads examined, as do the purveyors of this God-disgracing organization.

My two cents. May you heal in peace. Don't know how to do hugs on the computer but I cry with and for you and your siblings.

• ramtrucker
    ramtrucker

Reading your story brings back so many memories of my life with my parents, especially my abusive father. My mother was very much the obedient wife, and seldom objected to my father's treatment of myself and my younger siblings. I still remember him spanking her, especially on one occasion when I stood in his way as he prepared to spank her. I was knocked across the room. I was less than 5 years old at the time.

Even before he came into the "truth", he'd have me eating away from my family if I didn't have "proper" table manners, etc.

I too wet the bed, well into my teen years. I too was told that I was simply lazy when I wet the bed, which was nearly every night. In my case, my dad whipped me, quite often with a belt, or a rope, or whatever came to hand.

However, I think you had much more mentally abusive parents, than I did.

I so feel a certain kinship with you.

Please continue with your story.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

man this is getting harder and harder to read...not that i'm saying you should stop...

I don't think I've ever been so crushed...

this especially struck a chord..

i remember when i was df-ed and after several attempts to get reinstated i moved to another hall. the elders there were much kinder and spoke to me whenever they could. after one meeting as i was leaving the p.o came and told me that they had been discussing having a kh book study - for my benefit - since they were a small hall they only had 2 groups and both were held in homes which i couldnt attend. as it was by this time my parents had aquiesced and i used to go to their's for supper and attend their foreign language group at their kh. (this was a round trip of about 100 miles)

anyway i was pleased by the fact that the cong i was now attending would even consider this for me but it was the pos next comment that was more pleasing..he said they had got in touch with the chairman of my jc in my old congregation to see what they had to say about me and he had said it was unnecessary to rearrange the groups as they anticipated that my incarceration would shortly be ending.

i can't remember ever feeling such relief...the next day i spent wandering around edinburgh (festival) on cloud nine and i remember really laughing at the comedy show i went to see that evening - i had not laughed in so long.

a few weeks later i reapplied for reinstatement (to the elders of my old cong)...you would think that on the basis of what i had been told they would have been pleased to receive that request..weeks passed and i heard nothing. eventually the elders of my new hall had to find out what the delay was but by this time i was so crushed i no longer cared. it was obvious thay didn't want me reinstated - and even tho they eventually did (under pressure from my new kh) they never spoke to me again.

at any point in my df-ing if i had ever got the idea they were anxious to have me back rather than using anything true or false to keep me out then things would have turned out so very differently. as it was the damage they did turned me against not just them but god himself. i still believe in god but mainly cos someday i think he will demand an explanation from them.

when i eventually stopped going to kh etc..i was asked why and i adapted an illustration from an assembly item given ironically by my jc chairman....

he had an item that was about the necessity of disciplining children. he had a scene depicted where a child had done something wrong and altho the child said he was sorry and wouldn't do it again it was vital for the parents to instill this into the child by some form of punishment.

so far so ok.

i continued....that if you took a child's playstation away from him for a week that would seem like a life time to the child...but at the end of the week when you gave him it back he would give you a big hug and learn from the discpline without being scarred by it.

and even if you took away all his toys. all his friends, his schooling, his family and locked him in a room for the week then gave him it all back then he would still recover from that .

but if you punished him to that extent over a prolonged period of time then it would have an irreversible negative effect..if as evidence of the effect it was having he became angry, started hitting the walls and kicking the door in sheer frustration and further punishment was meted out each time then eventually you would completely break the child to the extent that he couldn't function as a normal human being. sure he would be subservient he would stop shouting and kicking etc etc...but when you let him out of the room and said come and gave me a hug..his response would be 'you must be joking'

he may be obedient from that point on but he would not be that way out of love.

my illustration continued by saying that in an 'ungodly imperfect' world there are measures taken to ensure that no child would be treated that way without the parents being taken to task...but we are supposed to believe that a loving god would direct his org to treat genuine repentant imperfect people that way...what a joke.

sadly i did not know your story then and i am truly truly sorry for your treatment (and for the length of this post)

as i said before i hope this has a happy ending for your sake.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Well put Tij. I like how you reversed the assembely example - I expect the psychology of it went over their heads though.

Something else that can happen with this prolonged isolation from other people as punishment is as an ex of mine described it - you make a virtue of necessity. In other words instead of fighting the punishment or wanting differently you embrace it as if you chose it for yourself and it becomes your life pattern. I now spend weeks and weeks without leaving my apartment or speaking to another human being except for by email. Its what I am used to. I'm afraid its probably irresversible. When I do come out and spend time with people periodically (like when I come to America) there are moments where I do just want to run away and be by myself which I have to really fight, because there is no rationale for it and I genuinely love being with you guys. I'm just programmed that way now.

• Younglove1999
    Younglove1999

Wow-

your story rendered me speechless-

((hugs))

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

(((((TJ)))))

Your story is so sad, I hate so much that you had to endure that as a child!!

How is your relationship with your parents now? I'm not sure I could stand to be around them...

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

Tij, thank you for sharing your experience, and please never apologize for long posts... (look at mine!). I am glad we all found each other and help each other through the muck of the past.

Here's part 4. (I'm writing this as I go, part 5 isn't written yet... I post a bit to you, then go write more, that's why it's taking so long). Thank you all for your warm comments, hugs, and, yes, sympathy. I love you all.

Part IV

While living at home, I found solace in music, reading, computer work (step-Grandpa gave me his old TI-99/4A when he upgraded to a Commodore 128 and Amiga). With it, I taught myself to program. It saved programs on cassette tape, and used a small B&W television as the monitor. Without it, I would have never been permitted to have a TV in the bedroom. Still, we were forbidden to watch TV on it... but my brother and I used to get up at night and turn it on, and we loved catching episodes of Airwolfe when we could.

Dad played the guitar (he couldn't hold a tune or play very well either, Step-monster was better at it than he), so I picked up a bit of that as well, and wrote my own music and songs. I had a crush on a sister in the hall – Wendy – and my brother had a crush on her sister. I enjoyed visiting with her at the hall, and imagined one day we might get married (I was 15 or 16 at the time). I'd write poetry and 'love letters' to her, none of which I gave her, just my own writings in my room while sitting on my bed... it was one of my 'escapes' to a better place.

I came home from school one day and Step-monster had found evidence of sneaked-in-food in my room. She proceeded to make me take off most all my clothes and emptied my backpack... and of course she found the food I'd brought home from the trash can at school, which disgusted her, but she also found my 'love letters' to Wendy. What she did next, though, began a long pattern of meddling with any relationship I tried to establish with other people.

She picked up the phone, with me standing there in the kitchen, and called Wendy's mom... I dearly loved her family, even her parents... they treated me and my siblings like 'real kids', and loved us as their own... I was just beside myself with embarrassment as Step-monster stood there and read all my love letters to Wendy's mother. Wendy looked at me a little differently after that—not in a bad way, either—I think she was tickled that I wrote love letters and poems about her. We never got together; she went on to be a need-greater in Guatamala or something like that.

This interfering with relationships is something that would continue through numerous relationships, not just with girlfriends, but relatives, other families in the hall, and so on.

It wasn't until many years after all this passed that I found out why so many of my aunts and uncles and cousins stopped talking to me. Dad and Step-monster had told them that I had been diagnosed with a mental disorder (scizophrenia) and had been given a prescription to deal with it, but refused to take it, and that I'd proven to be a danger to people, so they should be careful. NONE of that was true... not one word of it. But they believed it, and stayed away, not returning calls or seeking to talk to me.

They even would send letters to the body of elders at new congregations they'd learned I moved to, warning them about me, stifling progress and new opportunities, unbeknownst to me. Some progress was made when, at one new hall I moved to without their knowledge, the brothers got to know me for some months before my folks sent their introduction letter. Then, when their letter did arrive and it didn't 'jive' with what and who they knew me to be, the PO called me into the back room and read me their letter. NOW I finally understood what was going on... I didn't understand WHY they were doing this, but I understood at least what was going on behind my back with my name and reputation. I've since come to believe that by keeping my integrity and sanity in question, they protected themselves from anybody giving serious credence to any charges or accusations I or my siblings might bring against them.

Funny thing... I never ran away, though I wanted to. I just couldn't leave my younger siblings alone with them. I felt I'd be abandoning them. My eldest step-sister, however, did try to run away once, jumping from the second-story window and breaking her wrist. I always thought that odd, as she didn't get the kind of discipline and abuse we did, but in light of events that came to the fore recently, I wonder now if there was more plaguing that poor girl than I knew at the time.

Beatings were common, too, not just the emotional turmoil I've mentioned so far. Dad would use his belt, Step-mom a metal pancake turner (spatula) with slots in it (which would leave little pill-sized welts on the back of our legs), or they would hand us a knife and make us go cut a switch off the tree or bush in the yard, with the warning that 'it better be a good one, too, and you better not cut all the knobby things off it or I'll go and get a REALLY good one!!' The spankings weren't across the buttocks, either, but around the back of the knees, six inches higher or lower, which left nasty little cuts and welts that would swell up, blister and bleed.

I remember my baby sister (probably 8-10 at this time) getting in trouble once, and Step-monster wailing on her with the switch in the dining room. I was standing on the stairs, watching this happening, wanting to intercede but paralized with fear, for which I'm truly sorry and ashamed. My baby sister was so brave... and defiant. As Step-monster whipped away, my sister refused to cry. The lashes came more severely, as Step-monster yelled "YOU BETTER CRY!!" My baby sister yelled back "NO! I WON'T!" I remember thinking "Oh, sis, please PLEASE CRY!" But she didn't, and I learned a bit there about how to stand up to the monster.

The time that scared me the most, and also taught me the most about who these people who were supposed to be my parents really were, occurred after this as I decided to take the same sort of stand as my sister did. Step-monster was trying to get me to cry with her whipping on something I did wrong, and I wouldn't. I didn't SAY anything to her, I just didn't cry. And it DIDN'T HURT, EITHER! I thought at the time maybe Jehovah was protecting me... but I didn't FEEL her whipping me at all. It was GREAT! She was getting so mad that I wasn't crying, and I felt GOOD about that.

So, when I wouldn't cry for her beating, she called Dad in. He got up in my face and picked me up by the neck, put me up against the wall, and started screaming at me. My siblings were saying "DAD, NO!" but he told them to shut up and get out of the room. He dropped me off the wall, grabbed me by the back of the shirt and dragged me down the hallway, from the kitchen all the way to his room, and closed the door. I was petrified now, as he NEVER had taken me to their room before. I didn't know WHAT was about to happen.

He told me to drop my drawers as he took off his belt, and then he made me lean over and grab the top surface of Step-monster's makeup desk. Before he spanked me, he reminded me that this hurt him more than it hurt me, and that he was only doing this because he loved me. He asked if I understood that, and I nodded. Then he started to spank me, repeatedly. Again, I didn't cry, I refused to grant him the satisfaction of a single whimper. If my baby sister could do this, so could I. He told me, "You better cry, boy!" He kept repeating that phrase, with more and more intensity in his voice, as he continued to spank me. I could hear my siblings crying elsewhere in the house.

And then it arrived; the moment that provided clarity to me. I happened to tilt my head up and I saw his face in the mirror as he "lovingly spanked me"... and I saw the anger, the twisted lips, the demon eyes, as he BEAT ME. This was NOT a man who was loving me and disciplining in love. And I KNEW THAT RIGHT THEN AND THERE. His face told it all.

That's about enough of 'growing up'; let me tell you how I got OUT of the house, and then I'll pick up the rest in another story.

After graduating early, in December, I stayed at home and started working for my Dad's new janitorial business, cleaning floors and polishing tile at grocery stores. I regular pioneered, the goal (along with Bethel service) that the folks had held out for all of us once we graduated. Dad sold me the 12-person van he'd bought from Grandpa, so I'd have wheels to get out in service. They told me I could continue to live at home as long as I regular pioneered, until I was ready to move out. I was READY, but didn't have funds to do so! :-)

I was responsible for my own schedule when it came to service, though I had to plan out my week and post the schedule on the family information board so they'd know when I intended to go out. I woke up very sick one morning, the following February, and Step-monster came in my room at 8:45 to tell me I was going to miss the meeting for field service. I told her I was sick, that I'd go out another day. She said I needed to stick to my schedule, and I told her "LOOK! I said I'll go out later this week—can't you see I'm SICK?!"

She shut the door, then a few minutes later Dad came in, with a suitcase, and started emptying my drawers. He told me to get up, put on my clothes and shoes, and get OUT... I wasn't sure what was happening. I thought he was making me go out in service, at first, but it was more than that. For "being disrespectful to my mother and not keeping my word" about my service schedule, he was terminating the lodging and employment agreement, and kicking me out, then and there.

I protested that I didn't have a place to live, or an income. His reply was that was MY problem, not his, and that I should have thought about that before 'lipping off' to his wife.

And thus it was that I was out... living, in the middle of winter in Washington State, in a van, with no job, no money, no food, and no family. I didn't even get to say goodbye to my siblings—and I just realized that I still don't know what story they were told when they got home from school that day. I'll have to ask my sibs.

I expected they'd ask me home after a few hours or days... that it was just a "shock treatment". I parked my van in the parking lot where Dad was doing his floor accounts... I was the only other vehicle in the lighted lot at night, he had to have seen me, with the big 12-passenger blue van with windows was unmistakably mine. He'd walk out of the hardware store he was cleaning, down to the grocery store, get a pie and a milk or coffee and go sit outside the hardware store and eat it while he waited for the wax to dry... I used to sit with him and eat those pies too. Now, he sat facing the van I was in, hungry, as he sat and ate it alone.

I'll admit to some wrongdoing here... several nights later, when it was obvious he wasn't going to invite me back home, and when he went back into the store to buff out the wax, I went up to his truck and pulled the valve stems out of all his tires, ran back to the van, fired it up, and drove away... god, that felt good!

To be continued....

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

yup nina...that is sooo me too

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

TJ: I am horrified (and I, too, have been through my own hell...)

I prayed and cried that he'd make me a good child, so they would not beat me

I'm there with you...

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    How is your relationship with your parents now? I'm not sure I could stand to be around them...

Thanks for the hugs, babygirl. I need 'em right now!

My four natural siblings (two boys, two girls) have nothing to do with my folks and have all, in the past two-three years, left the religion. We don't talk to the parents at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit