My story: "Pop!" goes the Little Circuit Breaker

by TJ - iAmCleared2Land 115 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I've just read part 1 and there are so many instances in the detail I can relate to:

Dad used to tell me that he and Mom were special pioneers in Kansas before they got pregnant with me—that he had plans to be a circuit overseer and I ruined that for him. He actually called me, repeatedly, his "little circuit breaker." He was serving as a ministerial servant while we were babies.

I am the eldest like you TJ and my parents were married less than a year when they went to Spain in the 70's to serve where the need was great and slightly exciting since Franco was still dictator and arresting witnesses for meeting together. I was their mistake, but they certainly made me feel like it was my fault for coming along in that first year.

And the bed wetting I can relate to as well - I also used to have such violent dreams (demon and Armageddon related) that I would fall out of bed and hurt myself against furniture from when I was 4 or 5 and I'd get punished for that too.

I guess the brightside is that despite our problems maybe the whole process of not being allowed to be children enables us to be a bit more empathetic and maybe more human, for our parents lack of it.

You wrote it really really well and its extremely engaging - I'm really glad you did my friend. (Off to read part 2!)

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

WTF - they claim to be annointed now!!! That makes me want to puke up side their heads. What kind of relationship do you have with them now?

• oompa
    oompa

This is like Flowers in the Attic bad. I do not know how you could ever speak to your Anointed parents......I could sure use some of your coping mechinisms.........bless you..............oompa

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    WTF - they claim to be annointed now!!! That makes me want to puke up side their heads. What kind of relationship do you have with them now?

Nina, me too. I've not spoken to them in over two years. I refuse to do so. They continue to try to poison my life, sticking their sick little hands into things to try to needle me to a reaction. I have the power now... I don't react. I don't respond to them. The silence from me is driving their power-hungry minds crazy.

This is like Flowers in the Attic bad. I do not know how you could ever speak to your Anointed parents......I could sure use some of your coping mechinisms.........bless you..............oompa

Oompa, thanks. As I told Nina, I don't speak to them. Neither do my other three natural siblings. What is "Flowers in the Attic"? Must be a movie or book?

Thanks so much for sharing with us, this must have been painful for you to re-tell the story! I couldn't help but cry while I read your story, b/c this brings me back to such unpleasant memories of my childhood. I can't tell my story in full detail to this day...

MMO, I've told this story so many times... the elders, my wife, most recently my therapist. When us kids get together, we used to tell each other and hug each other and cry together as some sort of group therapy (that's slowed down somewhat as we try to push past this). It took a long time to feel ready to share it here, in public. Someone I trust told me that telling your story here can help others accept you more readily, as they know what led you to leave. Since I was an elder, I feel it doubly important for you all to know why I'm here. MMO, I hope you can tell your story soon.

I'm so sorry for your pain!!! If I had anything helpful to say to you I would. Love and hugs, MMO

You just did...

I really don't like that lady.

Me either!! :-)

This is so sad. Thank you for sharing your story.

Thanks for taking the time to read it, Lisa. I certainly don't want to bring anybody down. We all have different roads that led us here... what's amazing is the commonality in the threads. For example:

I am the eldest like you TJ and my parents were married less than a year when they went to Spain in the 70's to serve where the need was great and slightly exciting since Franco was still dictator and arresting witnesses for meeting together. I was their mistake, but they certainly made me feel like it was my fault for coming along in that first year.

Nina, I'm so sorry... no kid should be made to feel they ruined their parents life, and then be punished for it the whole time the lived at home, and after that, too... ((hugs))

• JK666
    JK666

TJ,

Reading your story make me angry at your parents. What evil pieces of crap! Thank you for sharing these painful experiences with us, I know it can't be easy.

JK

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Even though my parents were really messed up, it pales by comparison to what I have read here. I can not imagine part 2.

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

Thank you all for listening. Thank you for caring to listen. I know this is a long story... here is part 3.

I forgot to mention that at some point before the move to the new house, my dad was reinstated, and gradually was appointed as an MS and then an elder. He loved giving talks out, and we traveled the circuit as he'd give Public Talks on Sunday. He loved the attention, the admiration of others about his family.

Everything focused around appearances. NOBODY else knew what was going on at home. From the outside, we looked like the perfect family, and that's what people said about us, and why we were interviewed at circuit assemblies, ate with CO's, and such. And that's the way my folks wanted it... they wanted everyone to think we were the perfect little JW family. Not even our own extended relatives knew what was wrong, or the extent of it, although you would think they would have gotten a clue after some time, me always "in trouble, on restriction" when we came over.

Dad and New-Mom had two more children (boys) after the move to the new house, so now it was eight of us, me the oldest, four boys and four girls. The two girls from New-Moms first marriage, and the two new boys, were always treated differently than us four original kids. Softer rules, lighter punishments; there were always "good reasons" (lousy excuses) why they were treated differently and given special treatment.

The parents took the religion to an extreme. They thought that strict adherence and indoctrination in it would bring Jehovah's pleasure and save their sin-inclined children. We had a regular family study (WT, actually, since Dad was the conductor and needed to get it prepared). Field service was regular. We each had to enroll in and prepare for the TMS, and study for it each week, including researching and writing a 3-page report on some topic from the weekly Bible Reading, and presenting it at the family dinner table.

This will sound odd in the light of everything I've said so far, but there was "love" in the family too... lots of hugs, actually. Of course, they were given when "accepted back in" at the end of restrictions. It was feast or famine on the emotional level.

I loved Jehovah, too. I prayed to him ALL the time to help save me and my siblings from the injustices at home. I prayed and cried that he'd make me a good child, so they would not beat me, so they would love me instead. I tried hard to make sure I did what was right in his eyes. I got baptized at 14 and left high school 6 months early, having finished all my graduating requirements, and started to regular pioneer. My folks told me that there was no reason for me to stay for the last six months of high school, since it was wrong for JW's (in their eyes) to participate in a graduation ceremony, and I wouldn't be allowed to attend anyway—so I got my diploma in the mail instead.

Before graduation, though, things got worse. As a teen, my folks took 3-day restriction and turned it into months-long "disfellowshiping from the family", as they called it. This started after a road trip we took, when I was about 13, to visit one of New-Mom's married friends. While we were there, I saw and took a couple dollars worth of quarters from the family's counter. I had gotten in the habit of picking up all the change I found (on the street, hallway at school, etc.) and saving it for the times I couldn't find food in the cans at school... in which case I would stop at a corner grocery store on my walk home and buy some crackers to stave off the hunger at "no-dinner" time.

On the ride home, it was discovered what I'd done (I think some change fell out of my jacket or something). My folks put me in my room for a week while they decided what should be done about me. The "family study" that week was a marking talk by Dad, to my siblings, explaining how Jehovah hates a thief and a liar. He used the scripture about how you "throw such a man outside", and explained that he couldn't do that literally. However, spiritually they could. And they did. I spent that summer vacation "disfellowshipped from the family".

What that meant was this:

- I did not eat with the family ("not even eating with such a man"). On the nights I hadn't wet the bed (and thus could eat), they would prepare a plate for me, put it in the laundry room on top of the washing machine, where the dog ate, just around the corner from the dining table. They would all sit down to eat, would call me in from my room. I'd stand in the doorway while they offered the prayer and read the Daily Text. After the prayer, I'd go silently into the laundry room, eat my meal and listen to the family talking, then when I was done go wash my dish, put it away, and go back to my room.

- My siblings were NOT allowed to converse with me. I shared a room with my fleshly brother. If he or anyone else said ANYTHING to me, they had been threatened that they would be disfellowshiped too.

- My 'reinstatement to the family' was dependant on their whim. There was no set time for the punishment to end, no 'goal' for which I could reach... it was not until THEY decided that I had demonstrated repentance that they would let me back into the family... and then, of course, I'd get the hugs I referred to above. Dad would hug me big and hard, with a "Welcome back to the family, Son!" I was so grateful for the hug; that's what's really sick to me now, looking back on it.

Disfellowshiping from the family occurred several times over the rest of the time I lived at home. That is, until the CO found about it. I don't recall the circumstances of how he learned, but I do remember him and some other elders in the hall having a conversation with my parents explaining that they COULD NOT do this, that it was WRONG. So my parents did away with "disfellowshiping from the family." The next time I got in trouble, they "disassociated me from the family", instead... with exactly the same set of rules and punishments. Legalistic at heart, he complied with the 'letter of the law', but not the spirit of it.

During that first summer DF'ing from the family, I was given a special punishment to occupy my time. I was given a set of notebooks and pencils. Rather than my usual "reading from the Awake! bound volumes", which they knew I actually enjoyed, I was to write out, by hand, in cursive, the entire Bible book of Proverbs. When I was done, I was to bring it to them and then they would consider my reinstatement to the family.

I spent weeks (and many hand cramps) writing out the entire book. I wrote a letter of apology for my waywardness and stealing the coins, and finished it one night as the family was going to bed. I still remember what happened then.

I went to my door, and called for them. "May I come see you?" "Yes, we're in our room, come here." I went to their room at the end of the hall, and proudly presented them with multiple spiral bound notebooks. I was smiling, glad that I was done with it, and ready to be off restriction and reinstated to the family. We had a family gathering that weekend we were going to attend and I had worked hard to get the project done before then.

They sat there on the bed and looked at me. "Well?!" they asked. "I'm very sorry for what I did and will never do it again... am I off restriction?"

"Well, we need to read over what you wrote!"

"Huh?"

"You've been proven a liar and a thief, son. You don't think we're just going to 'take your word' that you finished the assignment, do you?"

The tears started to well in my eyes, my chest started to heave. I tried to maintain my composure as best I could.

They continued... "Your mother and I will look over what you did over the next few days. I'll read her the Proverbs, from the Bible... she'll follow along in what you wrote. If you skipped so much as one word, you're doing it all over again. Do you understand me? Now get back to your room til we tell you we're done."

I don't think I've ever been so crushed... I had NOT skipped anything, thankfully. A week later, after I missed the family gathering, I was called back to the living room and was relieved to find that they didn't find any errors in my copyist skills. They welcomed "Ezra the copyist" back to the family. To this day, I don't know if they ACTUALLY read it or not... it really didn't matter, I was just grateful to be able to go outside and ride my bike and play with my brother and sisters.

• Odrade
    Odrade

There was a little girl in the KH where I grew up, she was a "mistake" and I can't really remember a week that went by that someone in her family didn't remind her of it in that not-quite-joking voice. I thought it was horrible then, and said so, but nobody listens to a teenaged girl in the Organization, even if her dad is one of the most intimidating guys in the hall. If it didn't come from an elder, it was less than worthless. Her step-grandfather turned out to be a kiddie rapist, btw.

Thank you so much for sharing your tale. Sadly, I think this dirty underseam is not terribly uncommon in high-control religions. I'm glad you have your siblings (and a therapist) to talk this over with.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    "You've been proven a liar and a theif, son. You don't think we're just going to 'take your word' that you finished the assignment, do you?"

Makes me sick. I just want to hug you myself right now. What a horrible way to treat you. ((((((((((((TJ))))))))))))

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

thank you for telling your story. I'd love to hear how you came to the conclusion to leave the org and if your siblings followed suit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit