Attn: All Non-Yankee JWDers! Did the U.S. origin of JWs irritate you?

by Open mind 38 Replies latest jw friends

• pratt1
    pratt1

Yes it definitely bother me.

I am a Yankee - Black and it always seemed unfair that the GB was all white men, no blacks or any other nationality.

Its pretty arrogant to believe that God decided that out of all the nations and tribes of people on this earth , that he would chose Americans.

It stil amazes me that particularly black people would flock in droves to this religion when they were still being oppressed in this country by white society, and living through "JIm Crow", they would align themselves with a religion where all of their top (management) leaders were white.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Not a Yankee, and will never be, NAU be damned. But I don't blame the american's however, it seems the states bred a spirit of rebellion which lead to alot of not so great things and some wonderful things. I blame the frikkin purtians who came to America so they could be free to burn witchs and shit and brought their narrow-minded, we are right attitude with them.

Fundamentalist Christianity found its home and hearth in the United States, because of the very liberties written into the Bill of Rights and Constitution. Unfortunately for all of us, that meant religious freedom to do whatever they want pretty much, including murder thru belief.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Para:

So my Canadian opinion was worthless?

DOH!!!

Sorry Para. My center-of-the-universe Americanism was showing.

BTW, isn't Canada just another US state?

*ducks, runs*

Open Mind

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

OIC, you meant, "Yanqui go home."

***Goes back to playing 'dueling banjos' and whittlin'.***

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy
    I blame the frikkin purtians who came to America so they could be free to burn witchs and shit and brought their narrow-minded, we are right attitude with them.

Then you have the outlaw French that went from Canada to New Orleans, and the Spanish who came up through Mexico and Florida, and the Irish who...well, we could just go on forever...

But yea, Russel kinda reminded me of the Puritans. Except he was much more strange.

• Jenlet
    Jenlet

It didn't "irritate" me, but I always wondered why God chose the U.S.A. to start his religion of choice.

I also always wondered why the "anointed" were mostly made up of Americans.

Why did Jesus want Americans as his co-rulers?

No offence to Americans.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It never bothered me , although I know it bothered some people.. My father for example who had been a British soldier in WW2 and always the retained the feelings of that time that American soldiers based in the UK were "Over paid, over sexed and over here!"

I used to meet some people in the Ministry who would dismiss it as an "American religion" .

BTW We always used the word Yankee to refer to any American , not just one from the Northern States

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Since I've been down here so long I am now an honorary non-yankee, I've been told.

It only started to bother me this year, as I was doing my should I stay or should I go research. I'm originally from Utah, and I kept being reminded of the origins of the LDS faith. One man thinking he is the prophet for all men. I think it bothers me more that I don't think the GB have really had real life exposure. They have been sheltered for so long in their tower, I don't think they know what their followers really face day to day.

momz

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Here in the Uk it didn't bother me at the time because I thought I had the truth but I used to hear many comments about the J. Witnesses using American sales methods to sell a religious cult.

Do the Yanks have a monopoly on sales technique or have the rest of us caught up with you?

• *summer*
    *summer*

The fact never even crossed my mind...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit