Attn: All Non-Yankee JWDers! Did the U.S. origin of JWs irritate you?

by Open mind 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

Just curious.

Open Mind

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I couldn't figure out why all the Governing Body came from the States. I guess Jesus only spoke English.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I believe I qualify as a non-Yankee, so I'll answer up.

It wasn't the U.S. origin per se that irritated and confounded me.

It was the GB's being all White (then) and all the anointed that I knew of being likewise.

Sylvia

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

I'm no Yankee, but if the gb had been from Uzbekistan (sorry OM) and the cause and effect on human lives was the same today, I'd still be irritated.

• gumby
    gumby

If Charels Taze Russell had been born in Afganistan and his parents were Muslims.......do you think there is a chance in friggin hell he would have adopted the teachings he adopted?

Perhaps. But, not too many religious figures have started a religion contrary to the one from their native land and have been successful in starting one IN their native land. Russell built on what was already established, that being christianity. What did that comment have to do with this thread? Even I don't know...it just popped into my head.

*goes out and smokes another dube)

Gumbafoon

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Im a Yank, and it still bothers me too.

• Open mind
    Open mind

I guess I should have defined "Yankee" a little better.

For the purposes of this thread, I intended a Yankee to be an American, regardless of what state they're from. The expression "Yankee go home" springs to mind. But, not wanting to derail this into a North/South thing, let me change the thread title to:

Attn: All Non-American JWDers! Did the U.S. origin of JWs irritate you?

And, further, seeing that not a single non-American has yet to reply, I'll just thank my "fellow Amahricuns" for all your thoughts so far.

Still hoping to hear from someone with a non-American perspective.

Open Mind

• kifoy
    kifoy

No, I did not irritate me. It just made sense. As my mother used to answer when we met someone at the door claming JW to be "an American religion" in a sarkastic way:

"Yes, it's history started out in America, but that was a good choice by God. Think about it: It has always been freedom of religion in USA. That way the JW org could keep on the good work even if other counries were at war and experienced other troubles. What if Russel had lived in Germany?..."

Or something like that...

kifoy

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Hi Open Mind, I understood what you meant by the term "yankee"

I too wish this cult was based in another country.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon
    And, further, seeing that not a single non-American has yet to reply

So my Canadian opinion was worthless?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit