They want to make me an elder :-O

by outofthebox 91 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

On the other hand, it's kind of oddly flattering to be considered by your religious peers to be worthy of the role of elder. Imagine, too, the power you'll have to collude with your local body of elders in pummeling "sinful" or "inactive" members of your congregation. Yum-mee. If this appeals, then by all means go over to the Dark Side.

• bennyk
    bennyk

Skeeter1 writes:

But, what will you do when it comes to a serious issue like pedophilia & blood?

I am unwilling to give you advice on this subject -- except: Do NOT accept an appointment as Elder if you will be unable to do the right thing when push comes to shove.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I agree with whoever said that not everybody is cut out to be a spy; deliberatly living a dual existence like that can be draining. If you do go ahead with it, do it for the right reasons, for family and not for the wrong reasons, getting revenge or to post BOE letters here. Also this scenario you lay out

I say yes -> My family is happy -> I blow my cover -> My family realizes everything is a lie -> GOOD

IMO, that is the best case scenario, but that's going to need alot of groundwork and preparation. Go back in the old posts here and read about Amazing's story. Are you prepared to do all that? Best of luck with what ever you do.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I say go for it, you can get alot of inside information, and you might discover some ureported pedophiles in the congregation, this will give you an extra advantage in helping protect other children.

to those that say you would be dishonest and lying, Well to me, if you realize the JW's are a lying cult, and you havent told anyone in your family about it, and you are still going along to meetings, then technically they are being misled already.

If you work this situation to your advantage, then you might be able to pull your family from the grips of the Watchtower, but you have to be careful, and play your cards right.

I would let them keep on asking you, and do not give any definite answers just yet. Tell them you dont think you are cut out to be an Elder. If they still appoint you, then on down the line when the crap is hitting the fan, You could always tell them "see I told you so, I wasnt cut out to be an elder'"

Work this to your advantage with the tools you have been given.

• penny2
    penny2
    I should add that my wife knows the truth about the truth

So why would you create a burden for yourself and be an elder?? With you and your wife knowing the truth, you can be fringe witnesses for a while if you want, but quietly planning a better life for yourselves.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I started fading in 76 when I realized there was no such thing as holy spirt, at least not as the JW's or bible describes it. Maybe theres holy spirit in a bottle of Jack Daniels.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Since your wife knows its not "The Truth", then even more the better. That means you could have more on your side. This could be a golden opportunity for you.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I couldn't encourage anyone who isn't a firm believer to stand at the podium
    more often, promoting WTS values. You can't stray enough to make a difference.

Ray Franz and a few others couldn't make changes from the top and Headquarters.
    One elder can't make the BOE (even if it's tiny) into a God-approved body. He
    can have some minor influence, but the sacrifice of shoveling all that crap to the
    flock is not worth it.

But wait until they say the GB and the BOE and God have recommended it, then
    say NO.

One man's opinion- one who was there.

• uninformed
    uninformed

I was an elder for over 30 years, but I was a sincere hard-working one and I loved the brotherhood, and sadly, I believed it was God's Organization. Those are the only reasons I would ever have served.

There are enough people on the 'inside' that can get info to all of us while they are on their way out, without you putting yourself in such a dishonest situation. Don't do it for me.

Additionally, you think now that you might be able to help someone, with the inference being that you will help point out that the WT is a lie. Well, maybe, but I think people don't listen. They either believe or they don't. They either go for the reason they believe or for social and family reasons. You aren't Jesus Christ, and you aren't going to save anyone.

A fine example in leaving would be the best witness you could give, and you could unload all that dissonance.

Brant

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I knew this cat 10 yrs ago that got appointed elder and I know for a fact he had a girl on the side, so much for spirit directed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit