They want to make me an elder :-O

by outofthebox 91 Replies latest jw friends

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I'll say "DON'T DO IT !!! " !!!

I agree with 'uninformed', and I'm an elder on my way out... painfully. Enough about me.

From stories I've heard, if you try the "I was a holy spirit appointed apostate," they'll reply with, "and the holy spirit used this invalid appointment to reveal your evil, Satanic, wicked heart condition." It's impossible to open the eyes of those that don't want to see.

If you want to be an elder to help people, well, that was one of the most disillusioning things for me. Whatever advice you give, whether good, great, or fabulous, the publishers will often do the opposite. As an elder, some pubs will avoid you. Others will annoy you, a few things I've noted here http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/147966/2684127/post.ashx#2684127

Forget about being a big shot. As an elder, you will also be hounded by the CO or other elders about doing more RVs, Bible Studies, problems with you wife's not-quite-modest-enough-for-us clothes, the too-college-minded-and-not-pioneer-minded classes your kids are taking in school. No, you won't be at the top. You'll be in middle management where you're abused from above and below.

Inside scoop on private BOE letters? Yeah, the instructions on reserving an auditorium and getting insurance for the next memorial makes fascinating reading... NOT. Yet, as BOE we've gotten nothing from WTBTS on handling the NBC story. I have a related thread started http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/147814/1.ashx (more on that to come...)

...Sorry, I'm hyperventilating here. I'd say, duck & dodge the appointment however it works for you. Regarding those that I've seen drift away, the best revenge is to live well. Have a happy family. Take care of your kids. Do good in the community. Find a job you really enjoy. Travel. But what do I know, I'm new here

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

You have been given a lot of advice by the many posters here, but you will have to make the final decision. Its not an easy decision to make. I know, because 20 years ago I was in a similar situation.

I had served as an elder for almost 10 years before I learned the truth about the "truth" by reading Crisis of Conscience. I didn't resign right away because I thought I could do some good as a "double agent." I even had an "apostate" friend who I kept informed about the local BOE and the latest info from Brooklyn. I had to be careful about our clandestine meetings, making sure I wasn't followed.

During this time I served on several JCs and was able to influence the other members of the committee to be more compassionate toward those who appeared before us. As a result we didn't Df anyone but gave private reproof.

There were also a couple of cases of suspected "apostasy" in the congregation and I was selected to lead the investigation. Here I was able to manipulate the evidence and discredit the witnesses who brought the charges so the investigation led nowhere. Unfortunately there was a sister in the congregation who had become vocal in her criticism of the "Organization." But guess who was on the committee that tried her case? The other members put me in charge of the investigation, and of course I gave her a clean bill of health and no action was taken against her at the time. However, a year after I left another JC was formed and the poor sister was Dfd.

After about 9 months I decided to resign and get on with my life. My "apostate handler" asked me stay on, saying I could do more good on the inside. But I felt that I had done enough and it was time to fade away from the totalitarian Watchtower society and escape to the free world.

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

OOTB, you rock. How do you do it, keep up the appearance? Well, some have opined that it would be dishonest to accept, but you're already an MS. Plus, considering that the whole thing is a lie. . .the religion that is. . .I don't see the problem.

Also, if you decline, they will begin to doubt your spirituality and motives, and that's what you're trying to avoid.

You also make the good point, and I'd like to see too: Will the holy spirit appoint you!? And will the GB pray over your name and get good vibes or bad?!?!? Will the priest get a good reading from the urim and thummin on you? Will your tea leaves show promise?

I have all these questions, and none of them will be answered unless you go for it. I want to know: ARE THINGS BOUND ON THE EARTH REALLY BOUND IN THE HEAVENS ALREADY. I just have to know.

• Reverend Warhawk
    Reverend Warhawk

Don't do it. You'll be better off in the long run...BTW, I'm an old friend of both tooktheredpill and your wife. I wish you all the best. And, please, DON'T SAY YES!

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

I was an elder until recently - my advice - do not do it. Its alot more work and I also agree with others that it is dishonest.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Some facts:

1. I am still 'in' because of my family.
    2. I am MS.
    3. I am doing 10+ fake hours (well, some months it is fake), so they see my "spiritual" progress.

-ootb

What's the point. Your heart isn't in it!

Ian

• scotsman
    scotsman

I've no idea what age you are, but I suggest that in accepting the appointment you'll just be wasting a few more years of your life. Declining the position wont result in them putting you on the rack, and it may make a fade easier.

From stories I've heard, if you try the "I was a holy spirit appointed apostate," they'll reply with, "and the holy spirit used this invalid appointment to reveal your evil, Satanic, wicked heart condition." It's impossible to open the eyes of those that don't want to see.

That was my experience when I pointed out that the holy spirit had appointed unbelieving, manlusting me. Granted, I remained an elder for less than a year and it may have given me the kick I needed to get my ass out of there. You can't help anyone while working on the inside.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Really interesting post, Athanasius!

Ian

• BIG D
    BIG D

I have been in your exact shoes, everything you describe , was me, fake hrs, all, i told them no, i had to many other obligations to meet .

And later i faded,

big d

• Warlock
    Warlock

Nike.................................

JUST DO IT!

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit