They want to make me an elder :-O

by outofthebox 91 Replies latest jw friends

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I remember being in nearly the same position--nearly, because I was a regular publisher when they wanted to make me an MS. Same 10 fake hours every month.

Your BoE sounds desperate to bump you up. But in time I began to hate myself for the lies I had to preach from the platform, the bull**** book studies I had to conduct, and the field circus I also had to lead.

It didn't help that I had a job with long hours, but the insane "eat-shave-dress-scram" routine every meeting night just drove me insane. If you choose to take it, bear in mind that getting out will be much harder than getting in....

On the other hand, if you're the particularly vindictive type, then being an elder might give you access to BoE letters and such. You can be the one "nice, approachable" elder and give them REAL advice for their big problems, not just regurgitating the most recent WT or Asleep. And, if you become a really useful elder and then get deleted, the effect on a congregation's morale is generally pretty depressing.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

You are at a cross road. If you dont take the appointment they will start to wonder what is up with you. If you want to lurk a while longer as you plan an exit I'd tell them I dont think I'm ready and wait for the giant push they will put you through before the next CO visit.

Elder material must be in short supply. You may be a supper guy to hang with but your stats would'nt have gotten you invited to mow the Kingdom Hall yard back in the day.

~Hill

• blondie
    blondie

drop your hours to about 5 or 6 immediately. You can say no, it has been done by men I've known.

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

Thanks for your comments. I really appreciate them.

I am still deciding what to do. I know this is a decision I have to make own my own, but your input will help a lot. Keep them coming.

It breaks my heart to see the face of some elders when start telling me about the subject. They look sincere and happy for me. I know some of them are. They are just deluded as I was a couple of years ago.

-ootb

• LennyinBluemont
    LennyinBluemont

From a selfish perspective, I would want you to do it for the purpose of maintaining a pipeline of "inside" information for those of us here. But I agree with AK, to live a lie is to surrender your soul. "To thine own self be true."

• bite me
    bite me

Take it, take it! You can use it to your advantage and put the real truth into peoples minds.

• changeling
    changeling

I've posted on here before that I don't understand those who serve as elders and don't believe, let alone post on this forum.

I understand going through the motions of the meetings to keep family happy.

I understand fading ( I'm a fader myself). Actually I'm more of a "drop out"...lol

But putting in fake time and serving as an elder with all of it's "pirviledges of service": giving talks and parts on the meetings, encouraging others by their very presence to "reach out", sitting in on JC's... this just seems the ultimate expression of living a "double life".

Personally, it feels a little creepy to know there are "apostate" elders out there.

I realize we get some of our most juicy inside tidbits from them, but it feels hypocritical all the same.

Add to that your circumstances of NOT being an elder, but accepting the position while all the while not believing...well, I just don't get it.

changeling

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Do it.

Then, once it's all approved and finalized, tell them that the holy spirit isn't real or not involved in the process because it appointed an apostate.

The holy spirit assigned me two District Convention talks while I was an apostate.

The one I gave, the first of the two, was the baptism talk.

I wonder if that makes all those baptisms null and void?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

if you don't take it, the elders will ask you why not? What are you going to tell them? Lilly

• watson
    watson

I like Cyd's suggestion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit