I'm converting again.

by reneeisorym 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

2 years ago I left JWs. I went to a Baptist church because it was what my husband was. I knew I wanted to go to church but which one I really didn't know yet.

Two years later, I think I have made up my mind: Presbyterian.

Anyone have anything they want to share? opinions? I'm scrared to death! My husband agrees to go with me.

I just needed to share with someone. Just say something.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

What is the appeal of one over the other?

Dave

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Good luck - enjoy yourself!

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

A family I was close with as a teen used to take me along with them to their presby church. I don't recall anything that was scary or bothersome about the services. You've been to a baptist church so you've probably experienced the most rigid of interpretation that's out there in the church world. Relax and enjoy.

My husband agrees to go with me.

Outstanding.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Contrary to what witnesses like to tell each other, mainstream Christianity is not divided by very much. Most churches and their members are very accepting of each other. Most of the differences involve church administration and policy, not doctrine or scriptural intrepretation.

Most churchgoers pick their church based on two things: is it close to home and do they like the service?

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

It's the Baptist alter call thing for one. People should join churches and pray to be saved without being coersed by emotion. I've never seen them do it at the Presby church.

I don't like the dispensational Baptist idea that makes people freak out about every new world event. I'm a partial preterist for one and secondly -- I had enough of "THE END IS COMING" stuff when I was a JW. Just chill people. Most likely we'll all be dead by then.

Next is the Baptist non-education thing. I want to learn about the Bible when going to church and I want my future kids to do the same. I don't go for a social club. The Presby's seem to talk about deeper subjects in church.

My husband likes how they aren't charismatic at all but the Baptists tend to lean that way a little.

Edited to add: They don't seem to get their feathers ruffled if you smoke or drink a little. My husband smokes and hates feeling like he should hide it. He says he wants to quit in his own time.

And perhaps dancing and playing cards will be ok now? LOL

• Gringa
    Gringa

Hi,

I am curious, this is not criticism, OK?

Why is it that you feel you need religion?

When I escaped from the grasp of the cult, I ran - I ran as fast as I could from any thing remotely religous. It felt to me that the folks used it as a crutch to get by in their sad life, that they NEED the hope of something bigger than what we have right here and now on this amazing earth.

So, what is the truth? Why do you feel the need for religion. Actually, I have never been able to ask any former JWs this question. So, thank you for the opportunity.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I have found that the United Methodists, Lutherans (ELCA), and Presbyterians are all pretty much in the same frame of thought these days. A bit more liberal for the most part. Pretty hard telling the differances between them IMO.

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle
    I have found that the United Methodists, Lutherans (ELCA), and Presbyterians are all pretty much in the same frame of thought these days.

At about the same time I got to visit the presby church my boss invited me to a Lutheran church. Also a decent service...until!...they took communion. I had no idea what to do so I froze up in my seat and didn't drink or eat the wine and wafer thingy. I also noticed that my boss crossed himself afterward. When I asked him about it after the service he said, "What? You mean spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch?" (I think I embarassed him, though, by not participating because I wasnt invited back and my career went south with that company, real fast).

Fast forward to '02 and my wife and I attended a wedding at a (huge!) Lutheran church in Denver. The pastor/preacher was female. If we had stayed in CO I could see me going there because that lady knew how to give a sermon and balance it with scripture in a way that I hadn't heard since some really smart jw pioneer sisters I knew.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

RisingEagle,
    There are some differances in service formats and such, I was thinking mainly along theologicial terms.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit