I'm converting again.

by reneeisorym 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quentin
    Quentin

We'er Presbyterian church goers...Kathy was raised Methodist...we found the church service itself to be the same in both and yes they can be droll, but are over quickly...As has been said, they take a strong stand on education and the church here has a fine youth group intergrating the childern into everything...

As to smoking, I smoke outside the church door where there's a big concrete box full of sand and smoked butts...no one looks at me cross eyed, nor do they avoid speaking a greeting...

Give it a try...think you'll enjoy the difference...by the way, if you don't accept their doctorins they don't get bent, or condem you...that's been our experince...

• queasy
    queasy
    I don't like the dispensational Baptist idea that makes people freak out about every new world event. I'm a partial preterist ...

That the conclusion I am reaching lately, partial preterism. Just read "The apocalypse code' by H Hanegraaff and have enjoyed it. I dont fully endorse all the ideas arround preterism but I kind think their interpretation of "this generation" is correct.

• junctions-wife
    junctions-wife

being raised a methodist. I was always going to different churches with friends. I always wanted to go to one church but it never worked out that way. To me finding a church you have to follow your heart. It doesn't matter what the teachings are unless it is the JW's. I have been to several different paths of religion from Apostolic to Church of Zion. And everything in between. I found myself enjoying southern baptist more so than the Free-will baptist. But I still went with Dave when we would go visit family. And you know something my mom doesn't go to church every sunday but she still believes, prays, and worships in her very own way.

Amanda

• onacruse
    onacruse

If I was still inclined toward the sociology of "church" environments, I'd probably check out the Unitarians.

• Mary
    Mary

I've been to the Reformed Presbyterian Church several times, but I'm not sure if it's for me. It's almost TOO conservative. And too long. The Service starts at 9:30am and ends at 10:45am but then they have a break and then a Q&A period where everyone is "encouraged" to stay. If you stay, you don't get out of there until 11:30am----that's 2 hours, which is just too damn long for me. I had enough of that from going to the Hall. I want something that's just one hour because I find that after that, it just starts to drag.

Plus they don't really do anything special for Christmas or Easter which I found disappointing. After having been denied the pleasure of the holidays for all those years as a Dub, I want a church that actually celebrates it......I was thinking of trying the local Prebyterian Church but just haven't made it yet.....

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I've heard Presbyterians described as the "frozen chosen," but the ones I know are actually very warm and outreach minded. One of their churches provides a meal for the Soup Kitchen once a month. And a couple of members take us shopping once a month and pay the bill. They have been doing this since 1989. I'm not Presbyterian, but I have nothing but praise for the ones whom I know.

• barry
    barry

In My schooldays we had scripture classes every wednesdays and most times I spent that time with the Presbyterians and sometimes with the Anglicans I found both OK.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

It seems that there is a lot of emphasis on you going to church somewhere. God made a huge planet, just an acre of which can tell you more about Him in a day than the rest of your life sitting in manmade buildings reading man written books and listening to men and women talk about Him.

If you made a planet with people that you loved...would you rather they huddle together in a building they made and talk about you or be out learning from what you made for them?

Maybe a larger question is why do you feel the need to have someone else tell you how you are supposed to feel about God? Does any other creature need acceptance of their worship practices from their peers?

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

I was raised Presbyterian back when they actually stood for something and had standards we were expected to follow. Between then and now they've morphed into something which my mother, who still attends there occasionally, tells me I wouldn't recognize at all.

She is uncomfortable with the new friendliness, the more open interaction between congregation members, and between the pastor and the congregation, the instruction to turn and greet your neighbors, things like that. She's used to things being more formal. I think I would have liked those changes as it was pretty cold and sterile when I was a child. I don't know if they have very many do's and don'ts anymore. Smoking and drinking were never an issue for them, so probably still aren't much of a concern.

They've also stopped having the strict dress code we had, with the hat, gloves, etc. Now she doesn't even own a dress. Apparently nobody cares. Many Presbyterian churches are "come as you are", believing that it's better to have people come and enjoy worship and fellowship however they are dressed than to feel left out because they don't have the right clothes or are on vacation and didn't bring nice things to wear.

They have a good Sunday School, divided by ages. The children are taught excellent songs. Communion was with grape juice, not wine. Probably still is. It was for all members who had been through Confirmation classes and been confirmed. Confirmation was at age 12. Baptism was by sprinkling and usually infants.

My mother's church put an ad in the paper inviting gays to attend there, promising them a welcoming environment. My mother is all in favor of that. She attended some sort of a committment ceremony between some gay couples, but I'm not sure if that was in the Presbyterian church or another. Sorry, but that creeps me out.

Let us know how it goes when you check it out for yourself. Good luck in your search for a new church home. There's lots to choose from, so enjoy the journey!

SusanHere

• White Dove
    White Dove

I, too, tried out a few different churches before finding out that paganism was for me. It may not be for you, but I would say to visit all different kinds of religions and have fun discovering the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit