I'm converting again.

by reneeisorym 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym
    Why is it that you feel you need religion?
    When I escaped from the grasp of the cult, I ran - I ran as fast as I could from any thing remotely religous. It felt to me that the folks used it as a crutch to get by in their sad life, that they NEED the hope of something bigger than what we have right here and now on this amazing earth.

I didn't chose Him because I needed a hope. I belive that God chose me. God put a VERY strong love for HIM inside of me. I desire to be with him and with His people.

It is like asking me why I a husband. I don't know -- I just love him and I can't imagine being without him.

So, what is the truth?

The truth is that Jesus died to pay the penalty for my sin. The works I do in His name are merely a thank you in advance.

• Mum
    Mum

The Presbyterians are big on education. Presbyterianism got its start in Scotland. John Knox wanted everyone to learn to read so they could read scripture for themselves. I would be proud to belong to a church that made Scotland the intellectual capital of Europe at a time when no one else cared about educating us of the "great unwashed."

Regards,

SandraC

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym
    I have found that the United Methodists, Lutherans (ELCA), and Presbyterians are all pretty much in the same frame of thought these days

Methodist = Armenian with no eschatological stance as far as I can tell

Baptist = Armenian or Calvinist and dispensational

Presby = Calvinist and post millennial

(Calvinist = predestination)

• eclipse
    eclipse

Sounds like a reasonable religion, Renee.

If I was religiously inclined towards christianity,

that Presby type of service and religion would be up my alley.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    I want to learn about the Bible when going to church and I want my future kids to do the same.

I'm sorry Renee I have nothing positive to offer you so perhaps it's best I just say nothing.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Thank you all for your comments. I spent enough time as a JW to never want to be looked at funny for my relgion. It makes me happy to know that there isn't a bad opinion of my church. Not that it would affect my actions. It is just nice!

• PEC
    PEC

Renee, you have a PM.

Philip

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    Thank you all for your comments. I spent enough time as a JW to never want to be looked at funny for my relgion. It makes me happy to know that there isn't a bad opinion of my church. Not that it would affect my actions. It is just nice

in that case...

While I'm not personally interested in protestantism in general, the limited exposure i've had to presbyterianism has been positive.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

HI renee,

You should find a big difference for one thing you will be with normal people ,well when I say normal you will meet the odd eccentric but they will be human unlike the JWs'.The congregation will be full of people for the most part who are there with a loving caring attitude.Of course there will be cliques and a bit of rivalry sometimes the same as you get in all walks of life but the act of coming together to worship in a church as apposed to a meeting in a sales enviroment will be uplifting.You should enjoy the fellowship and not take things too seriously . The way children are treated is totally different to the Jdubs way of doing things,the mainstream churches involve the children in a way that will make them interested in the being there you also get to say things like Happy Christmas, and have a lovely Easter and Peace be with you.

And by the way taking communion will be something you will want to do regulary once you progress within the church,Don't be put off if anything seems a bit strange or if someone seems a bit off hand, give it time and you will feel the spiritual benefit.They have great hymns to sing as well and a very important part of it all is that you will make a lot of new friends,and I mean real friends not at all like the ones at the KH.

Peace be with you.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

The Presbyterian chuch I visited was a little too "stuffy" (but that was years ago). I understand what you mean about the Baptists....(yikes). Recently I've attended, with a friend, a Nazarene Church.... very educational, down to earth, the pastors got a good sense of humor yet very interesting to listen to. The music is great, a small orchestra plays contemporary music almost every week. When you leave, you feel uplifted and not talked down to. You feel like you've connected to the Creator and you've recharged your batteries to "fight the good fight" for the upcoming week. Bottomline.... go where you feel comfortable and where you're uplighted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit