I'm converting again.

by reneeisorym 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Trygon
    Trygon

I would advise the Church of England which as a bit of every church in it and adapts to changes easily but I hear they don't have that one in America. :P

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Renee:

I want to learn about the Bible when going to church and I want my future kids to do the same.

It's good to be given the opportunity to look through many beliefs and see which you agree with. Perhaps this church is the one for you.

As for your children, will you be giving them the same opportunities? For example, will you be showing them other books considered holy and introducing them to ideas found in other religions and mentioning that some people have no religion so that they can make an unbiased decision themselves?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I've only been "out" of the JWs a few months. I still need to get around to a few more churches. I haven't been to Presbyterian yet (I have to Baptist though one of the ones in town has an excellent preacher), but I have enjoyed the variety of a few different ones here locally.I've noticed that there can be a noticeable difference between churches of even the same denomination. Either way, it feels wonderful to have the freedom to go where I wish on Sunday.

Bless you, Burn

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

My husband and I gave an anti-witness talk at the presby church a few months ago. They were all very friendly the minister asked us if he could pray for our "ministry". If I wasn't so happy with my church I would join them. They all seemed very interested and asked lots of questions after the presentation. Go for it Renee, if you are comfortable there and you are learning just go for it.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I must say after I left the organisation, I did for about 3 months go to an apostletolic church, just to break free from the hum drum of JW life - I needed that stepping stone. After that brief stint I realised they were just as religious as the JWs' (no offence entended toward anyone) sure some things they are a bit different on...but they have their doctrines and services all the same.

Rather lead a spiritual life - If you really feel that God has called you to him, he will guide and teach you. You don't need to go to a church to get that kind of fulfillment.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

We go to a missionary church on Sundays that has a pretty contemporary service (the band really rocks) and on Wednesday night we go to a United Methodist church for dinner and the service (praise worship is one guy and a guitar) it's a very soothing service and both my husband and I really enjoy it.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Hi Wanderlustguy.

I an only speak for myself here.

God made a huge planet, just an acre of which can tell you more about Him in a day than the rest of your life sitting in manmade buildings reading man written books and listening to men and women talk about Him.

I think we can learn from what we see in that acre you describe, and we can learn from each other. Thats why we get together. Thats why we are here on this forum isn't it? To share and learn from each other?

If you made a planet with people that you loved...would you rather they huddle together in a building they made and talk about you or be out learning from what you made for them?

We can do both! But I try not to huddle too much.

Maybe a larger question is why do you feel the need to have someone else tell you how you are supposed to feel about God?

I don't think it quite adds up to that, at least not for me. I think we are free to experience God. I find a religious service with others spiritually satisfying-for me.

Burn

• JK666
    JK666

I hope that the change works out well for you!

I personally am church free after leaving the JW's - and loving it!

JK

• JK666
    JK666

Trygon,

I am not sure, but in the US I think the Church of England is called Anglican.

JK

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

More often than not I'm found in a Presbyterian Church, but then I live in Scotland so thats not all that surprising

Presbyterianism is merely the form of church government, though most all would hold to Calvinism and its associated doctrine of Predestination. I've not come across one that has an anti-drinking/smoking policy, though they probably exist. Services are usually between an hour and an hour-and-a-half and tend to concentrate on teaching. Outwith formal worship services there are usually opportunities for robust discussion and holding your own opinion on things. They don't tend to have half-an-hour to an hour music/praise sessions to begin with.

I've been to a fair few Baptist churches and have found a lot of variety, from Calvinist through Armenian, cosy through judgemental. As mostly "independant" churches they have tended to be as good as their minister, rather than having any real consistency between congregations. In the USA they do seem to be more anti-drinking/smoking. They tend to start their services with a lot of singing and in some places arm-waving.

The only thing I would state for clarity is that in doctrinal terms "conversion" refers to an individual's relationship to Christ, rather than a religion or denomination (albeit often confused as synonymous). You're already a Christian so what you're doing is a little more like changing coffeehouse rather than swearing off of caffiene

For those who think of all religion as merely a cult they should probably also examine their judicial systems, education systems, parental mores and TV/Movie regulatory mechanisms. Everything in life is designed to regulate us socially to an acceptable "norm". Religion is only one facet of that, but one that many people find useful psychologically, emotionally and socially.

As with totalitarian political regimes, there are extreme versions of religion. The thing most of us here hold in common is that we've been exposed to one of those extremes. I guess that it would be understandable for someone to mistrust authority if they came from a country that had suffered a dictatorship, but it doesn't necessarily follow that their opinions about all governments are unbiased and realistic. Likewise with ourselves. All governments and religions have faults, but all are not the same.

Just my 2p

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit