Questions From Readers: Hunting/Fishing

by inkling 46 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ush419
    ush419

Inkling, what kind of comment is this?

I guess this means you can maim and kill animals all you want, just so long as you don't enjoy it too much.

Sorta like being a Isrealite warrior who makes a living killing people but yet is commanded to "Hate Violence"

Hunters don't go out maiming and just killing animals, most hunt animals for food, they eat what they shoot, catch. etc. possibly some who don't understand this make in appropriate comments about those who participate in hunting. Most want to sit back on their ass and let others do their killing for them. Which reminds me of dubs, who want all the benefits of a relatively free society with none of the harder things to participate in i.e. military service, police, etc.,

If you didn't mean it that way then I apoligize but it sure strikes me as a rather odd comment if you didn't.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The article seems fairly balanced except for the part about putting aside spiritual
    things for hunting season. That is cult language for missing meetings and service.

Hunting is a vacation for the men, and it is a vacation FROM the men for the women.
    Hunting season is when it is. I imagine articles like this have little impact on a
    hunter/JW.

Hunting for food- most skilled hunters pay more for the equipment and time off from
    work than they would have paid to just buy the food. Still, it is a sport that they enjoy.
    I say, "As long as they kill for the meat, there's nothing wrong with the sport part of it."

A recent National Geographic showed that hunters were extremely reliable for wildlife
    conservation, moreso than non-hunters. They help the animal population or restock
    lakes.

Let's also face this. Most of the world eats meat or fowl or fish or all of those.
    The Bible said, "Eat meat." A hunter goes and gets it for himself. The rest of us
    go to the supermarket. Animals were killed either way.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This reminds me of other articles that say that something is OK in itself, but our time is for field circus. Hunting is OK (as is fishing), but they don't want people to sport-hunt or sport-fish. Why? Because that would take away from the field misery. Talking about fishing would also take away from the main purpose of life, which is to go out and recruit everyone into the Watchtower scam.

This is similar to other things. Video games were given this treatment back in the early 1980s: There is nothing wrong with the games in of themselves, but we must remember that our time is for field circus. Just about every common hobby that can take people away from field circus is treated like this.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    I hope the person who wrote that pile of horsecrap gets cancer

classy!!

• M.J.
    M.J.

So, in principle it would be wrong for a fisherman to have a photo taken of his fish.

Caught a monster Sailfish in Mexico? Inform the crew that you want it covered and not hung up on display. No photos, please.

Are you a catch-and-release fisherman? Your motives are HIGHLY suspect. What motivation is there for you beyond the "thrill of the chase"?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Steve2, your uncle hunts wild boars with a .22? That's borderline sadistic unless you can get a brain stem shot. It'd be like trying to kill someone with a one-inch dull knife.

Excellent point!

You must be mistaked about hunting wild boars with a .22. You would probably piss it off more than anything unless you made a perfect shot. Those creatures have a bone-like shield over much of their upper bodies. Even higher caliber bullets have problems penetrating it.

They are tough animals.

Rub a Dub

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

WTWizard has the right answer.

This reminds me of other articles that say that something is OK in itself, but our time is for field circus.

The article, itself, is fluff. The reason for the article is to say, "The purpose of life is selling WT literature
    before Armageddon, so we can gain recruits."

So the WT literature can use the exact same reasoning with any subject.
    "Is taking adult classes in dance or fancy cooking okay for Christians?"
    "Is a hobby okay for Christians?"
    "Is body-building okay for Christians?"

Answer: "Just don't be unbalanced. All true Christians must first go to 5 weekly meetings and get
    out in the field circus every week, plus arrange to attend the big money-making assemblies and
    conventions, plus never miss any part of the Circuit Overseer's special week of indoctrination
    reinforcement lessons. If you don't promote hunting / dance / fancy cooking / hobbies / body-building and
    take other true Christians away from pioneering or meetings, then we won't officially condemn your
    actions. Really, if you just put as much effort into pioneering as your hobby, we could settle some
    more lawsuits."

• kifoy
    kifoy
    Luke 5:6 "...they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. 7 So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they filled both boats so full they began to sink"

That ain't braggin'?

LOL

So, if I put a little WT touch on the "the apostles did not brag, nor should we..." argument:

Can a JW brag when he has been fishing in the "sea of men"?

kifoy

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Can a JW brag when he has been fishing in the "sea of men"?

Yes, that's the "Experiences" part of the circuit assemblies.

• kifoy
    kifoy
    Yes, that's the "Experiences" part of the circuit assemblies.

Exactly! So to go fishing is okay as long as you don't miss meetings and brag about your catch afterwards.
    But, you can brag if you went men fishing and is able to tell about it at a meeting.

kifoy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit