Questions From Readers: Hunting/Fishing

by inkling 46 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NotaNess
    NotaNess
    Its interesting that they discuss the moral accountability in killing animals for sport, but not the wholesale processing of millions of cows and chickens per year so we can eat our burgers and chicken breasts

Oh yeah baby! And let's not forget that eating greasy burgers all your life can congest your heart and "defile" your body just as fast if not faster than smoking cigs. Imagine if you could be DF'd for defiling your body with Dunking Donuts or Krispy Kremes. With these screwy nuts(GB).. you never know.

Twisted thinking.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Well, out here the only hunting we do is for good times and the opposite sex.

Regardless, this is such a lame QFR. "The apostles didn't brag about their catch," or something like that. Well, if you've ever been hunting with a group of dudes, this is what they do! Some wet-behind-the-ears Bethelite wouldn't know that, though...

• marmot
    marmot

"The apostles didn't brag about their catch"

CORRECTION: The BIBLE doesn't mention the apostles bragging about their catch. The Bible doesn't mention Jesus pooping, either. Does this mean Jesus never took a dump?

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

The WT likes to quote Romans 14:13 about "stumbling your brother." They can always fall back on that to mark you as bad association if like to hunt. As far as neglecting the family, how about the elders who are always out on the golf course or out "shepherding" the congregation? I can cite several examples of families who have suffered for lack of attention.

We have plenty of deer in our property (we have several acres). My husband and son usually get about one or two deer every year. My son dresses them out in his barn, cut up the meat, packages and freezes it. We've often talked that when grocery prices spike, we will have a source of meat without leaving home. We also feel that the meat is of better quality.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Oh my holy lord! One more way to control peoples' THOUGHTS. I think officially they have invaded every aspect of life now.

While true, they invaded this part of life and thoughts a long time back. This is just a repeat.

Clear back in 1982/3 they came out with 'Study Articles' that dealt with the same. Although the 'spirit' of the articles, like this QFR, were against hunting, the 'letter of law' did not forbid it. Still, I lived in a part of Texas at that time with a bunch of non-hunters [I was from the midwest and grew up hunting with my Dad and Brother]. I suggested that I might take up pronghorn hunting in W Texas, and was practically assaulted by a few elders who took a single paragraph or two about 'wanton' killing and imposed theocratic law that it was wrong.

I wrote the society, who referred me to some article in the 1960's, but basically skirted the issue directly. I asked them to make comparison of hunting with fishing [these elders were all avid fishermen, though they had to travel 800 miles to do it]. The society stated that there was no significant difference in the two. I showed the letter to the elders, and they were not too happy with me. [But what is new?] They could not 'ban' hunting, unless they wanted to ban fishing too. They dropped the matter.

Looks like this article is even forbidding discussion of who caught the biggest fish, for God's sake. God forbid that anyone would discuss sport instead of selling literature preaching.

Jeff

• blondie
    blondie

This is old information being repeated for the sake of new jws. A CO scheduled a congregation visit the week of deer hunting.....a congregation that had 3 elders, 2 MS, and 3 other brothers who annually traveled up north to a cabin to hunt. These guys all went and miss the CO visit thinking they would visit another congregation later. The CO was livid but did not remove the elders. The CO learned not to schedule during that week. Of course, some elder schools are scheduled over Thanksgiving weekend but most have their deer the weekend before. Once a circuit assembly was scheduled during the same period with many elders and other brothers absent. The CO ranted during his Needs for the CA talk. But to no avail.

With so few men coming up the ranks to be MS then elders, and 25% of the elders stepping down each year (CO was the source of that stat), they can't afford to piss them off.

Blondie

• oppgirl63
    oppgirl63

I agree with Gopher...they have a whole page for this? Do they have to ask the society for permission to do every single thing? I think most JW's don't ask themselves "What would Jesus Do"....they ask themselves "What would the society do".

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle
    "The apostles didn't brag about their catch"

Luke 5:6 "...they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. 7 So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they filled both boats so full they began to sink"

That ain't braggin'?

• StillGroggy
    StillGroggy

I hope the person who wrote that pile of horsecrap gets cancer

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Uh...wow...just wow. I thought this was a fake one at first.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit