Why are we telling Iran they can't have nukes?

by mavie 131 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

To think that mavie or anyone else here is advocating that Iran obtain nuclear weapons is to miss the point entirely.

It just appears hypocritical for "nuclear" nations to tell other sovereign states that they can't join the club.

How can this be dealt with diplomatically?

• mavie
    mavie

Exactly nvrgnbk.

• BrentR
    BrentR

It just appears hypocritical for "nuclear" nations to tell other sovereign states that they can't join the club.

It's not about a "club", 189 states have signed the treaty but only five of them have nuclear weapons.

It's about countries not producing any new nuclear warheads and the countries that do have them are reducing them.

Iran is a signatory to the Nuclear Weapons Non-proliferation Treaty and the UN is convinced as is the rest of the world that Iran is producing weapons grade plutonium. That is a violation of the treaty and is a concern of every country on earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Non-Proliferation_Treaty

The treaty has three main pillars:

1 Non-proliferation- not manufacturing any new warheads.

2 Disarmament- The two largest nuclear countries, the US and Soviet Union, are actively reducing thier stockpiles. The IAEA is monitoring for compliance.

3 The right to peacfully use nuclear technology- Iran is allowed by the treaty to build and enrich plutonium for electrical power generation.

Iran does not have missle technology that could carry a nuke anywhere near US soil. The US concern is for the middle east and Isreal. If Isreal is attacked by Iran with nukes they will retaliate and all hell will break loose. However the US is the only military force that has the weaponary that can destroy Iran's heavily reinforced enrichment facilities.

The UN is the growling dog and the US is going to end up being the teeth that bite. Lets hope that diplomacy and sanctions work otherwise it's is going to get very messy.

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

I don't care what you think, this Forum wouldn't be the same without Warlock.

Is it fair for me to give a 10 year old a butter knife to make a sandwich, but deprive a jailed lunatic from using a butter knife when he wants to make his sandwich?

The answer to this thread's topic is pretty clear, actually, but some can't see it.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

HOmer Simpson:

"'Nuke-u-lar'. It's pronounced 'nuke-u-lar'."

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

I'd agree, it is hypocritical. Unfortunately history shows that civilization is far from altruistic so the US won't reliquish their nukes for fear of Russia, who won't reliquish their nukes for fear of China, who won't reliquish their nukes for fear of the US.

However, none of the above want nukes in the hands of Islamawhacko's. Better to live with the hypocrisy than a crater, eh?

How can this be dealt with diplomatically?

Isn't that what's happening now? The real question is what to do if/when diplomacy fails. Care to weigh in on that?

• oompa
    oompa
    Mavie: Yes, but does the USA have the authority to tell another nation what they can and cannot do?

That is not diplomacy.

Diplomacy often fails. Not all people will accept reason. Who here would allow a mass murderer or someone who wants to be one have a gun and lots of ammo? If you could keep the weapon away from this person you would....You would not let them take possesion of the gun and ammo and then try to be diplomatic! The risk is too great. I guess if the USA had not used restraint by not nuking first Russia and every other country that was going nuclear, we would not be having this thread....only USA would have nukes. I still think that it is very likely some islamic extremist is going to find a way to some type of nuke and please their God with it.....sad....oompa

• BrentR
    BrentR

I'd agree, it is hypocritical.

Please read the treaty I linked to above. It's not just the US that is demanding that Iran comply, 188 other nations and the UN are also. Only five of the 189 nations that are part of the treaty actually have nukes. The treaty was set up to stop the arms race and continued stockpiling of nuclear warheads. The US and Russia are decreasing the amount of nukes each year.

Does anyone here think it would be a good idea for Iran to start building nukes of any size?

• zeroday
    zeroday

I so hope Iran gets a nuke they may take out a few Israelis but then Israel will incenerate them and hopefully some of their neighbors...

• Mincan
    Mincan

Okay, so Russia and US have about 30,000-40,000 nuclear weapons each, give or take. Canada refuses to have any and join the missle shield bullshit, thank Aphrodite.

We should launch all the nuclear weapons into space at the great Red Spot on Jupiter and watch and see what happens. Jesus you know Jupiter was just a little too small to become it's own star back in the day...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit