Why are we telling Iran they can't have nukes?

by mavie 131 Replies latest jw friends

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    I don't doubt that for a second but they don't have a nuke to evaporate with

OHHH REAALLLLYY??

How about him?

Thanks for the gaffa zeroday

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    I so hope Iran gets a nuke they may take out a few Israelis but then Israel will incenerate them and hopefully some of their neighbors...

And that would be with the nukes that Israel does not have... ????? Do the Arab countries not have a right to defend themselves should Israel decide to launch first? What exactly is Israel up to - they seem to be allowed to have as many warheads as they like and nobody is batting an eyelid, merely because they haven't signed the nuclear non-proliferation treaty. Maybe to sign that treaty was Iran's biggest mistake - damned if they did, damned if they didn't.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Exactly! I was waiting for someone to mention N. Korea. Spent the 90's in diplomatic talks with them - basically being blackmailed by them - and they still built nukes.

So you're saying diplomacy doesn't work? PLEASE -- GIVE SOME ACCURATE CONTEXT HERE.

Doesn't anyone remember that North Korea has agreed to disable its nuclear arms programs in return for energy aid and better international relations? And that they're in peace talks with South Korea?

Did we need to go to war with North Korea to get them to agree to drop their nuclear program? No, the diplomatic process (slow though it is) produced a positive result !!

http://africa.reuters.com/world/news/usnSEO275930.html

North Korea opens symbolic mountain to S.Koreans
    Sun 4 Nov 2007, 3:53 GMT [ - ] Text [ + ]

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea, which carefully controls access by foreigners, will allow South Koreans to visit a sacred mountain by a direct air link, state media reported, a rare concession by the North to its capitalist neighbour.

The decision comes a month after only the second summit between leaders of the two Koreas, divided by a fortified border since the end of the 1950-53 Korean War.

The North's state-run news agency KCNA said South Korea's Hyundai Group had been granted the right to conduct package tours to Mt. Paektu from May 2008 using direct flights from Seoul.

A top Hyundai official met North Korean leader Kim Jong-il in Pyongyang on Saturday, KCNA said.

At present, South Koreans can only visit the Chinese side of the 2,744 metre (9,000 feet) mountain, which Koreans consider sacred because they believe it is the place of their ancestral origin. The mountain is on the northern tip of the Korean peninsula.

Hyundai, the largest investor in the North, operates tours to another scenic mountain, Mount Kumgang, on the east coast, earning the impoverished country much-needed hard currency.

North Korea has agreed to disable its nuclear weapons programmes in return for energy aid and better international relations.

A team of U.S. technicians will on Monday start disabling a nuclear complex that makes weapons-grade plutonium, a senior U.S. envoy said on Saturday.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Ok.

Just as those more extreme groups don't accurately represent the views of all Americans or Israelis, the Islamic extremists do not accurately represent the views of all Iranians.

Iran is a country with a deep and rich cultural heritage that Islam is only a small part of.

The country is home to many Christians, Jews, and secularists.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Ooops.

I forgot to mention the Zoarastrians.

D'oh!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

and Baha'i

• zeroday
    zeroday

Thanks for the gaffa zeroday

And you're going to tell me that there aren't groups in the US and Israel that would love to see all Muslims evaporated?

I'm sorry I forgot GW would love to see all Muslims evaporated thanks for reminding me...

• zeroday
    zeroday
    Do the Arab countries not have a right to defend themselves should Israel decide to launch first?

Actually I would love to see all the Arab countries have nukes bring on armageddon and we'll see who's left after the dust settles...

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I'm a bit new to this playground, so please go easy on me.

>>Amadenajad really thinks Allah is telling him to wipe Israel off the face of the map...
    >>Iran's president has many times spoke of destroying Isreal

Can someone provide a reference for these? I only know of one "wipe Israel off the map" quote, and it was a result of mistranslation. He wasn't, at the time I'm referring to, talking about taking an action, or even wishing to take one. He was making a prediction about how history would view Israel. Actually, quoting someone else's prediction.

>>It's the UN that is demanding inspections to make sure the enrichment is not for weapons grade plutonium

Hasn't Iran submitted to inspections of its programs in the past? It signed the Additional Protocol, and allowed inspections before its own ratification had occurred. Perhaps they are just recognizing that they are currently in compliance with the law, looking at the results the previous inspection got them, and deciding not to submit again. (Would you want ME to come inspect your house?)

As far as I can tell, Iran has performed one invasion in the past several centuries -- they stormed our embassy. I have yet to determine why. It was apparently not an official government act, but it also appears to have been done with government approval. Additionally, the hostages were later held by the government and not released for some time after that. While egregious, I'm not convinced that this single act of aggression shows the kind of pattern that would warrant taking up arms against a country with no verifiable nuclear ambitions. (If they had verifiable nuclear ambitions, I'm still not convinced we'd be in the right to take action. But much less so without that information.)

Resolution 1696 says that "the IAEA is unable to conclude that there are no undeclared nuclear materials or activities in Iran". How could you ever conclude that something DOESN'T exist? Isn't this essentially the same WMD logic that was used to support the invasion of Iraq?

Apart from their faith being different than ours, why are they viewed as such a threat?

Dave

• Satanus
    Satanus

Israel doesn't just see arabs as enemies. One of the israeli military advisers let loose that israel could take out all the major european cities. It is quite machiavellian and paranoic.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit