So...I got duped today!

by lovelylil 77 Replies latest jw friends

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I am one of those people who always gives money to those who ask me on the street. The reason is because there was a time when I was a kid that my siblings and I needed to beg on the street for food money because mom and dad were both addicts.

Anyway, I was on my way into Walmart and a lady stopped me and asked if I could give her a few dollars ($5 to be exact) so that she could pick up a prescription for some medicine. She explained that she and her kids have been sick with bronchitis and although the kids were better she was not and had run out of money until her check came on the first of the month.

I can also sympethize with having to wait for government checks to buy what you need having grown up on state welfare programs and I reasoned that $5 is nothing for me and my husband because combined we bring in over six figures a year income.

Anyway, just out of curiosity, I kept an eye on this gal while I shopped and sure enough, after getting my $5 she walked right past the pharmacy and out the back door. So, ok, I got duped.

After thinking about it, I decided instead of letting this change who I am and making me not give in the future, I will just keep on giving in the hopes that I won't pass up on helping someone truly in need.

I was wondering how others here feel about giving to street beggars, and would knowing you fell for a story make you not give in the future? Lilly

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well you could decide to donate to pantries or soup kitchens instead. And I think that some major chains like Walmart (I think it's actually Meijers here) have free prescriptions for certain meds.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Working downtown in a major metropolitan area, I am occasionally approached by people asking for change. Being that my budget is quite tight, I really am honest when I say I cannot help them out.

Part of me wants to help. But I am wary that many such people are scam artists. So although it goes against my instinct to help, I tell them "sorry I cannot help". I've never had anyone persist after I said sorry, no.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

I understand your frustration about being duped. But at the end of the day, I agree with you, you know that you did a loving thing and that is all that matters. Might have been a better option though, to offer to go with her to the pharmacy and pay for it at the counter for her. She would have probably walked away, knowing that although you wanted to help, you also wanted to make sure it was for what she said it was.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am with Sweetstuff (Ha, I wish). Say, "Let's go see what you owe."
    Many will say, "It's not here at Walmart."

You can say you will go to where it is, or you can tell her to go beg there.

• marmot
    marmot

I've been scammed many times because I'm too trusting and I have a big heart. To cut down on outright fabrications, though, I'll usually offer to help them do whatever it is they need to do. The phonies usually back down after this.

For example, if they're asking for change to call a cab because their car broke down I'll offer to give them a lift (I've yet to get taken up on this one). If they're begging for change to get something to eat then I'll bring them into a burger king or whatever and get them whatever they want.

I won't give them money for alcohol or drugs, though. I point them towards crisis centers or outreach programs instead.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Great ideas guys! I never even thought to go up to the pharmacy with them to pay what they owe, (supposedly). Also, I like the idea that if they need money for food to offer to take them for a meal.

I've had people ask for change for the bus too in the past and many people have told me this is just a begging scam. The thing is since I've been on the other side of the coin, you just never know. I appreciated all the people who helped me without questioning and still think of their kindness today.

Lilly

• John Doe
    John Doe

From what I've seen, the ones who really need help usually are not the ones asking for it.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    I am with Sweetstuff (Ha, I wish)

Awww, shucks.

• Highlander
    Highlander

I was at Carl's jr fastfood the other day. There was a "gentleman' in the parking lot that asked me for a couple dollars so he could get a burger. I offered to buy him the burger and give it to him on my way out. Surprise, surpise, he declined my offer.

It's always about the money, but they are rarely honest when they give their reason for wanting the money.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit