So...I got duped today!

by lovelylil 77 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LovelyLil,

I also have stories about how I got duped. Some of them are funny. Well, we live and learn! I have come to the conclusion that many of these people are scam artists who have devised very believable ways to get money from the public who would otherwise not give and are tired of panhandlers.

I am sure you still have a big heart and would definitely give if you knew the need was genuine as I would.

LHG

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I usually always give something to street persons who ask me. I figure it must take a lot to even ask for a handout, I'm not sure I could ever muster up the courage to do it.

I only give what I can afford to and even thought I know the money will not be used for say gasoline (as some have said they are out of gas) or food or whatever, I give and let them spend it..... I don't really care what they spend it on.

In times past I have given coats to street people, bags of food and dog food for their pups......why do they have animals?? I absolutely know their story is bogus and they will use the money for drugs or alcohol but I just can't resist people who are down on their luck allbeit brought on by their own bad choices who am I to judge? I just show compassion for them it must be a horrible existence some of them have, if my giving them a few dollars brings them any kind of comfort I'm good with that.

• La Capra
    La Capra

There is a part of the Jewish Passover Seder when the angel Elisha sneaks in and takes a big gulp of wine from his designated cup (but no one sees him). The tradition says that he takes the form of a street beggar, and that you never know if the street beggar asking you for spare change or a few bucks is Elisha, so you give. Sometimes I give, but not always. But I give them enough to both buy their fix AND a hot meal. The last time I gave a beggar 20 bucks, he said "No shit man?" (I'm the girl type, so it was amusing). He then said, "I better hurry, they run out of chicken at KFC about now..." And he headed in the direction of the restaurant right away (Actually, he sort of jogged). When I drove past him a few minutes later, he was JUST walking into KFC and waved. So it's right to do it when you can, even if they do spend it on drugs most of the time, they don't always. Shoshana

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

We got scammed at a gas station. A sweet looking young girl who needed $5.00 to get enough gas to get home. She was so apologetic and asked for our business card so she could repay the money. Clyde gave it to her--I wouldn't have. Sure enough--it's been about two months and nothing.

• BrentR
    BrentR

When a panhandler has a cell phone ring in thier pocket I see that as a clue. Our local news media has done several stories about people who panhandle and make very good money at it. They have hidden camera footage of them leaving and getting into a $50k car and driving home to a $1/2 mil. house.

Most people around here donate to missions and foodbanks so they know it's getting to those who really need it.

What is really pathetic is there is a food bank right next to the local car licensing agent in my town. I see so many people comming out of the food bank and getting into a car that is worth much more then mine. I don't know thier story but on the surface it infuriates me to see people "working" the system. It's hard to donate even to food banks when I see that.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Last week, a fellow came up to me in a WINCO parking lot, and said he needed a couple of bucks for gas. I asked him where he lived, and he said Gresham, which is about 50 miles from where we were...so I knew that there was no way (even presuming that his story was valid) that he'd get back home on my $2...but I gave it to him anyway (there's a homeless camp near the store, and I recognized him).

A couple days later there was another fellow sitting outside a Plaid Pantry in the same neighborhood, from the same camp. He never asked for a penny, but I approached him and asked if I could buy him a sandwich. He said he didn't want to eat, but after some conversation about his life, he thanked me for coming over and a least talking with him.

Such is life, for better or worse.

• DJK
    DJK

Don't see much of that here. Panhandeling is illegal. I remind those that do it, it is illegal.

There are places to donate and it is distributed well by them.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

What I do if someone asks for money for say food -I'll go and buy something and give them the food. Usually if you give $$$ they use it for something else. Like alchohol or cigs or even drugs. Don't stop helping people in need just make sure that you provide what they need instead of what they "want".

I once brought socks and hoodie jackets for a family on the street, 2 kids and mom. It was fall so not too cold but the kids had on torn sneakers with no socks and short sleeve shirts. I went into Walmart, got socks and the jackets for about 25.00 gave them to family and when I got in my car i noticed them smiling and trying on their stuff. I like Mrs. Jones idea - I had no idea such facilities existed until she brought it up a couple of weeks ago. Great way to help a family in need.

Don't stop caring about others well being, I would hope that if I needed it someone would be kind enough to help me and mine!

to you!

nj

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

You guys really warm my heart with your stories of kindness. I'm glad to know you are out there helping people. I wish I could be the same way, but in my area it seems like every person making a request for change is an addict of some sort or another, mostly meth. I get asked for money at least three times a day and I by no means live in what you could call a major metropolis.

It seems like that the requests are increasing and even kids are panhandling. I took my daughter to the skating rink earlier this month and a girl about 10 or 11 walked up and asked me for a quarter. Thinking she may need to call home for a ride I asked why she needed it as I was handing it to her (public phone calls here are .50 not .25) she took it from me and told me she wanted to buy some candy. She spun on her skates and was gone before I could respond.

They have an interesting campaign in this area that kicks off right about this time of month and continues through the holidays. You can buy a coupon book that has tickets you can pass out to panhandlers. Each ticket gives the bearer a free bus ride to the closest shelter where they can get a meal, bath and bed. Sadly, a follow-up newspaper article reported that for the quantity of coupon books purchased the number of coupons utilized was very low.

I saw an interview of Shaq Oneil who said that he saw a guy with a sign that read, 'Need money for booze'. He gave the guy $100 because he was the first person who was honest with his intentions with the money he was panhandling.

• BrentR
    BrentR

$100 will buy alot of Mad Dog and Cisco.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit