So...I got duped today!

by lovelylil 77 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

Robdar, don't you feel any moral obligation to not support panhandlers? I feel the same way about responding to spammed emails or advertising--IT'S JUST WRONG!! ;-)

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

This might sound harsh but, charity begins at home.

We don't have to give because someone asks , we need to give when the people in our lives need help , not aid a stranger asking for money.

I

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

I do not give cash to the panhandlers, it keeps them on the streets because it's easier than sobering up and finding real work.

I do volunteer and donate to the local services that are desperately underfunded and understaffed. It seems a better use of my limited resources.

• Gregor
    Gregor

My mother was once approached as she came out of the supermart by a man who said he was very hungry and would appreciate anything she could give. She reached into a grocery bag and handed him a fresh loaf of bread. He mumbled thanks and she watched him as he walked away and tossed the loaf in a garbage can.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I don't generally give money to panhandlers because, once you give them one amount, they will hit you up for increasing amounts the next time and in the future and invite others to hit you up for money.

However, I would rather give a panhandler money than donate the same amount of money to the ultimate money-grabber: the Watchtower Society.

• John Doe
    John Doe

My mother was once approached as she came out of the supermart by a man who said he was very hungry and would appreciate anything she could give. She reached into a grocery bag and handed him a fresh loaf of bread. He mumbled thanks and she watched him as he walked away and tossed the loaf in a garbage can.

That's what's so annoying about these panhandlers. They so confident that the average person is a complete sucker that they won't even hide throwing the bread in the trash--they know they won't have to look far for the next sucker. And that is exactly what you all are when you give to this scum. People who really need something are almost always too proud and embarassed to beg in the streets for it. Think about this long and hard folks, and get some sense for god's sake!

• Dawn
    Dawn

I'm with you - in the end, doing a really good thing (even if you get duped from time to time) is worth it.

I give when I feel drawn to. Once I was in a nail salon getting a manicure when an old man came in trying to sell some old used vhs tapes - he said he needed money for his medicine. Most people ignored him. I asked him if I could look through his collection, then picked out an old John Wayne movie (for hubbie) and gave him $20. He was so happy that he started to cry. I don't know if it was the $20 or if it was just that someone talked to him and was nice to him - either way, I got more out of giving that $20 than he did - it made me feel so good to make someone that happy.

• onacruse
    onacruse

John Doe:

Robdar, don't you feel any moral obligation to not support panhandlers? I feel the same way about responding to spammed emails or advertising--IT'S JUST WRONG!! ;-)

So are you now the moral policeman of planet earth?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Yes I am. What other queries do you have for me? ;-)

• onacruse
    onacruse

John Doe, Well, let's go for it, eh?

On what "basis" do you establish your personal authority to determine what other people should choose to give, or not to give, to someone who seems to be in need?

Please feel free to provide quotations from your favorite spiritual or inspirational authorities.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit