So...I got duped today!

by lovelylil 77 Replies latest jw friends

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

you know, when I was in Toronto for the fest, one fest attendee (I wont say who), gave a panhandler a bit of their change late that night to that panhandler..... I wouldnt have done it...and I thought to myself......when did I get so cynical? BTW...that person who gave the money...was very kind.......and I say...good for you....

and it hit me..when I became cynical... when I was in India last year... I was warned about the street beggars... the following statement was made earlier on this thread (i forget who):

I don't generally give money to panhandlers because, once you give them one amount, they will hit you up for increasing amounts the next time and in the future and invite others to hit you up for money.

that's the way it was in Pondicherry... and Chennai...if you gave even 1 rupee (equal to 1/44 of $1 US at the time)...then you would be swarmed by more beggars...1 rupee would not have killed me not even close......and it was sad...one woman came up to my 3 wheel taxi and begged..she couldnt have been older than 25 with a baby in her arms...but she looked 50....I felt bad, but had to ignore her...or the taxi would never have been able to move for the number of street beggars that would have swarmed us......

I once was approached in downtown St Louis years ago...while working there...I declined the beggars request...I really had no money to give..(I was a poor pioneer .. lol)...as soon as I walked away, I heard a woman yell at me: "did that guy just ask you for money?" when I said yes...the woman went on her notorized 3 wheeler... and I think called in and he was arrested for panhandling....(turns out she was a patrol cop watching for panhandlers specifically)... maybe he at least got a meal and a bed that night....

So as far as getting duped..I am glad there are people like you and the earlier poster I referenced anon,.... some of you are not hard core cynical like me....

...that and I am a bill collector..so I have to be cynical or I dont eat!

Snakes ()

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    Each one of us is encoded with a moral law that is shaped through contact with the society in which we live. Unless a person is sociopathic or has some other mental defect, he is well equipped to know what society demands and the course of actions that benefit society. And that, my freind, is plenty of qualification.

John, John, John, I hope you never have to eat those words and find yourself "in the system" Google Social Security Disability and read the horror stories of those who were honest hard working people benefiting society and then they had an accident or contracted an illness that kept them from working. You think SSI is there for you (after all you've paid into it for years) until you go to collect it. Then you get caught in the system a catch 22 and these are some of the very people on the street corners begging for money. They've lost all hope and this system this freaking society has let them down.

I hope you never find yourself in that kind of situation, yet life has a way of grabbing us by the balls and demanding attention, teaching us lessons we would otherwise never wish on anyone.

It never hurts anyone to be kind, or to lend a helping hand without asking anything back, giving generously when you can comes back in great ways, being a pompous ass comes back to kick you right where it hurts.

Peace and out.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Chick, I believe you mean "pompous ass." What I am or how I act or my experiences (of which you know nothing) have nothing to do with this discussion.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I have as much contempt for panhandlers as I do those who give them money, and that is not a small amount. I have no contempt for those genuinely in need, of which there are few.

• onacruse
    onacruse

John Doe, you have dug such a deep pit for yourself that I choose not to expend any of my energy to further discuss this matter with you.

You obviously have a shovel...dig yourself out.

Respects to everyone else.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    I have no contempt for those genuinely in need, of which there are few.

True story,

long story short.......In 1999, hard times hit me. I could not pay rent, And when I say the cupbards were bare, I mean .........nadda. I had a sack of pototoes and whatever was in the fridge to make them taste different is all I had.

My car had been stolen. I lived in a town where I knew NO ONE. I had to send my daughter back home as I could not feed her anymore. I stayed with my belongings, well actually I left them behind........and took a bus up here to Arkansas. No place really to live, but my kids are here.

I saw a few other times when things were rough........feeding five kids rice for three days straight, nothing but rice. And another time, I was out of money, and sold a majority of my furniture to pay daycare and by food for my kids until the next paycheck. But these two times being homeless did not come into play.

I know how close I came to being homeless. I was not dirty, I was not a bad person, I was not mentally ill. Shit just totally hit the fan. Kinda like A Perfect Storm.

I get mixed feelings when I see people on the streets begging. Especially since most of them are men. I think get off your dead ass and go to work.

I only give when It benefits me to give. Selfish isn't it? But, there is more happiness in giving.

I Have been broke down in my car with no money and gotten help.

I do things for people when I can, give money, food, clothes, I have bought food and taken it to them, if I did not feel right giving them money.

When I was doing courier work, I was all over town at the prime places for beggers. Most every time, I could not with a clean conscience and a loving heart ignore them.

I can only remember all the help I ever recieved and If I ever was in that position, someone would be kind to me.

I cant imagine someone's life getting to the point of begging, but I understand how can happen to even the best people.

I also would like to add, its a gamble, just like putting money in a slot machine.........and if that is what I want to gamble my money with, then sobeit.

oops......forgot to reply to JD's of which there are few.........you probably dont know how much in need alot of people are and are ashamed and would never utter a word about it.......esp if you have not experianced it yourself

purps

• John Doe
    John Doe

You've directly ignored my question two times whether you're just stirring crap or having a genuine disagreement. The answer to that one is obvious.

Also, you're making the claim that I'm setting myself up as moral arbitrator, yet you insist that I prove what you've asserted. That's not consistent. If you feel I've dug a hole, that's your prerogative; however, that doesn't change reality, does it now.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    oops......forgot to reply to JD's of which there are few.........you probably dont know how much in need alot of people are and are ashamed and would never utter a word about it.......esp if you have not experianced it yourself

That was partially my point purps. People in need often do not beg because of pride. Not that this makes any difference, but I've been on both ends of the spectrum. I've recieved health care from a christian clinic when I could not afford it. It was offered out of a church. In fact, that was one of moments I began to see that churches did good. In my younger days during extreme illness I had to get food from charitable pantries when I had no other source. I can tell you for a certainty that I would rather have died than stand on a corner and beg for food or money.

On the other side, I served as secretary of student council where I headed a food drive two different times for local pantries and assisted numerous times in "coats of kids" and "toys for tots." I might look like a pompous ass, but that doesn't mean I don't do good, and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with the issues here.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

awwww John Doe, I Loved the softer side of you with your chic avatar and now you got all hard and manly again with your old avatar.......

• mind my own
    mind my own

I used to give money whenever I could but I have stopped more recently. There have been a lot of newspaper articles and stories on the news lately saying that if we give money we are not actually helping b/c it doesn't force the person to get a job or to do something about their situation etc. Plus, I have my own bills to pay.

I still feel bad though...mostly b/c we cannot judge everyone the same, there are those who truly need the money b/c they are in a tight spot.

MMO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit