Why Did You Get Baptized?

by Open mind 48 Replies latest jw friends

• BrentR
    BrentR

To shut everyone up starting with my family.

• Dagney
    Dagney

My parents made me.

I was lucky, they started in at 8 years old...I was defer it until I was 12. There was no way out.

• Open mind
    Open mind

changeling:

I wanted to be like the "big girls".

Sounds like a very mature well thought out decision that you should be held accountable for. For all eternity.

sweetstuff:

To be considered dating material.

This is going to be a pressure on my kids. If they don't want to be social pariahs amongst JWs, they will eventually cave to the pressure. That's why I'm encouraging them to develop a peer group of non-JW friends.

Marmot:

I thought this would give me a "clean slate" before god.

Didn't it at least give you a "clean slate" for a few hours?

Fleur:

I'd have done anything for the chance to see him again.

Sad how shamelessly the emotions are played upon. And kids at that. Then they've "gotcha" for life.

jacethespace:

if you dont get baptized soon the big J will wipe you out, but we love you and support you.

My oldest sees this very clearly and says: "JWs say 'it's my choice' but I don't have a choice. It's either get baptized or die. That's not a choice."

horrible life:

I can't remember ever giving religion or God a single thought. EVER

Thanks for your brutal honesty.

OK, here's my personal fractured reasons for going swimming with a T-Shirt on.

30% Fear of dying at the Big A
    30% Desire to see resurrected grandparents
    20% Desire to please parents
    10% Competitive desire to be like the "big kids"
    10% (Same as sweetstuff's 10%) What I thought was love for a divinity named "Jehovah" - I did not realize what an A hole this Jehovah person was, due to my mental conditioning at the time.

re: Fear of dying, it was really drilled into us kids growing up about the "age of accountability". In Watchtower world this is roughly age 12. Give or take a year or two. Our C.O. lovingly pounded the "DEATH DRUM" loud and clear during his last visit. I had to let the kids know privately that he is full of crap. They say they believe me. I hope so.

Open Mind

• Open mind
    Open mind

ex-nj,

BrentR, and

Dagney:

Thanks.

I think this emoticon applies pretty well to this topic:

Open Mind

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Wants to find ex-nj-jw's parents and give them a spanking!

I have to fess up, I am ex-nj-jw's Dad.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I was sincere. I might be naive, but I wanted to please God.

• BrentR
    BrentR

I did not even survive the elder interview because I was on pain meds from a car accident. They gave me another shot three weeks later.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

sweetstuff:

To be considered dating material.

This is going to be a pressure on my kids. If they don't want to be social pariahs amongst JWs, they will eventually cave to the pressure. That's why I'm encouraging them to develop a peer group of non-JW friends.

Don't let them get baptized. Take drastic actions if it's going to happen. Even DA'ing yourself or getting
    DF'ed is better than encouraging lousy goals. Use any excuse to have them wait.

Jesus was thirty. He knew what he was doing.
    Kids shouldn't enter a contract.
    Your college goals, while good, seem at odds with JW beliefs. Wait until after college.
    If you are a good person, learning truth, Jehovah wouldn't destroy you.

I just offer those as backups. The best thing to do is get out, yourself. Show them that it's not the truth.
    I know you aren't ready to do this now, but get ready before your kids head down the misery path.

J. Cricket.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

At the time (16):

15% peer pressure
    35% family truth history (100 years; father P.O./25 year Pioneer, etc...)
    50% please Jehovah

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

I was a bit of a weirdo

Reason: 100% please Jehovah

I remember talking to some people afterwards and telling them I felt different (and I actually did)

And now look at me... I am the GOD DAMNED ORACLE!

My, oh my, how the times have changed! LOL!

The Oracle

PS: LIFE IS GOOD!! You can find a bright side to almost everything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit