Why Did You Get Baptized?

by Open mind 48 Replies latest jw friends

• R.F.
    R.F.

I got baptized because I thought it was the right thing to do, and I really wanted to move up the WT corporate ladder be used by the organization, just like any other brother that felt that the best thing for them was to be used in this way.

R.F.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

75% - Peer pressure (parents/friends)

25% - Stay alive at the big A

I resisted until I was 17 which made me the oldest person in my circle of friends to take the dip.

Later on, my devotion to the WT was because I really thought that's what God wanted me to do.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I got baptized because I wanted to be a part of Jehovah's organization and have a full share in carrying out His will.

Later I was to find out He doesn't have or need an organization, and His will is for us to love one another.

Sylvia

• fokyc
    fokyc

1963 when I was 30, pleased my wife!

She and the elders told me it was the right thing to do!

fokyc

• Open mind
    Open mind

nicolaou:

I have to fess up, I am ex-nj-jw's Dad.

That may be too subtle.

JD:

I wanted to please God.

Good for you. Too bad you were in a screwed up religion.

BrentR:

I did not even survive the elder interview because I was on pain meds from a car accident.

This sounds like quite an "untold story". Have you? Here? Where?

My favorite Disney insect said:

Don't let them get baptized. Take drastic actions if it's going to happen. Even DA'ing yourself or getting DF'ed

I think I probably overstated the inevitability of my kids caving to the pressure. I think they've got a fair shot at standing up to it. If it looks like their anti-baptism resolve is weakening, I'll just pump up the intensity of the truth about "The Truth" that I share with them. It would not be my goal to get DFed but if that happened, so be it.

Thanks Jiminy.

5thGeneration:

Your username says a lot.

The Oracle:

I felt different (and I actually did)

Clouds open up? Any pigeons poop?

R.F.

I really wanted to move up the WT corporate ladder be used by the organization

Ah yes. The prestige of microphone carrying is not to be underestimated. Sounds ridiculous now, but we all know it's true.

Open Mind

• lola28
    lola28

Because I had begun to study when I was 14 and by the time I was 18 everyone kept telling me it was time to do it, also there was really nothing left for me to study so it was either be a witness or stay on the fence and I've never been much of a fence sitter so I took the dive.

Lola

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I wanted to be cool and do it before my friends.

I thought it was the right thing to do. I was 12 after all.

• BFD
    BFD

95% to please mommy dearest.

5% CYA, it was 1974 damn it!

BFD

• onacruse
    onacruse

I was one day past 10 years old. I got baptized because, and only because, I was a "true believer." No one pressured me, and in fact the congregation servant (Dave Millman, Torrance, CA) gave me a real grilling before he would approve me for the act. It was done in an above-ground pool at a private home, on April 28, 1962...a sunny afternoon, and I can still remember the waves washing over my face, as I entered a 'new world.'

• R.F.
    R.F.

Ah yes. The prestige of microphone carrying is not to be underestimated. Sounds ridiculous now, but we all know it's true.

So true lol. I couldn't wait to have part in any "privelege" that was bestowed upon me. I think right after I was appointed a MS is when I started to see most of these things as burdens.

R.F.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit