Why Did You Get Baptized?

by Open mind 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

JWs are officially told the "RIGHT" reason for baptism is a heart motivated out of love and appreciation for all Jehovah has done combined with the desire to please him.

Now let's get real. Be honest. Was the "right" reason your 100% motivation? I'm sure it was for some of you. I know my reasons were very splintered.

You can split it up into percentages if you like:

25% fear of dying
    25% peer pressure
    25% paradise carrot
    25% please Jehovah

BTW, that's not my personal breakdown, I'll give mine in a bit.

Open Mind

• changeling
    changeling

I was 10. I had a 12 year old friend getting baptized. I wanted to be like the "big girls".

changeling

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

30% To be considered dating material - after all you aren't very spiritually minded if you aren't baptized and if you aren't spiritually minded, you won't make a good slave wife correct?

30% Peer Pressure, Parent Pressure- it was the thing you were expected to do, by EVERYONE

30% Saving my ass at the big "A"-hey I didn't want to be one of those poor suckers Jah killed on the glorious rocky horror day.

10% What I thought was love for a divinity named "Jehovah" - I did not realize what an A hole this Jehovah person was, due to my mental conditioning at the time.

• Fleur
    Fleur

Because I was 12 and the CO said in no uncertain terms in a talk that if you wanted to see your dead loved ones again you had to be baptized.

I was in the pool within 3 months of my grandfather's death. The man was the father of my heart. I'd have done anything for the chance to see him again.

• marmot
    marmot

Because I was a horny 12-year old wracked with guilt over masturbation and I thought this would give me a "clean slate" before god.

• jacethespace
    jacethespace

My reasons were as follows

1- I wanted to live forever on paradise earth.

2- Pressure from the elders warning armaggedon so close and if you dont get baptized soon the big J will wipe you out, but we love you and support you.

3- wanted to worship the true god.

4- I was bored.

5- I was in need of some long overdue dive love bombing.

6- I wanted to see what it was like to go swimming in front of thousands of cheering people, bit like the olympics.

7- I needed some presents cause i hadnt had any in years.

8- All of the above but i was waiting for the dove to descend and a voice from the sound system heaven to say "this is my son in whom im well pleased innit.

• horrible life
    horrible life

All of my friends were doing it, and it was just the thing to do. And people would think, "Look at that wonderfuld elders daughter".

I can't remember ever giving religion or God a single thought. EVER That is another epiphany for me. I remember meeting on weekends, studing a book, but that was just a time to get together with my friends, we would go out for a coke afterwards, which was cool. We didn't get many cokes back then.

The book and questions, seems like they were 1 word answers. Easy. I could read pretty well at 12 or 13.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I was 13, my parents told me to either get dunked or find a new place to live. I got dunked.

I don't remember studying or any questions,it's all a blur. I guess that's what happens when you are doing something because your living arrangements may be interrputed if you don't. I didn't love Jehoober, didn't read the bible and hated everything JW. So no, I didn't even have 1% of any of the things you mentioned!

I didn't get any presents for it either Is that what's supposed to happen?

nj

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    I was 13, my parents told me to either get dunked or find a new place to live. I got dunked

Wants to find ex-nj-jw's parents and give them a spanking!

• horrible life
    horrible life

Yeah, I've never heard of presents either. Well, there is just one more thing I can hang over my parents.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit