A CALL TO ACTION: HIGH PRIORITY

by Wingman 112 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeder
    skeeder
    most who end up questioning the org eventully realize there is just to much wrong that can be changed.

If we can get some to realize this and withdraw their support; mission accomplished.

S

• IT Support
    IT Support

I thought this was a good letter and I will be pleased to distribute it, albeit with some modifications (see below).

I will also be sending it to my JW family as I think they just might respond to it.

However, while I was going through the letter and editing it, I noticed a mistake:

This teaching was not speculative as suggested in the WT 1 Sept 1995.

This should be the November 1 1995 WT.

I also reckoned I could slightly improve the wording, and I added some WT quotes.

--

If you're interested, here's my edited version, and I'd welcome any feedback:

Dear Brothers,

It is with matters of great concern that we write you. We feel at this time the organization is in serious crisis. Indications are that Jehovah may have removed his spirit from the organization as he did to his people in ancient times. This is reflected in the yearly report and a definite downturn particularly in countries where the work is well established. Many have lost their zeal for the ministry and are inactive. Too many young ones are not staying with Jehovah. The increase of family breakdown, poor meeting attendance, fewer baptisms each year and the apathy of the brothers also indicate a withdrawal of God’s spirit. Depression is a real issue among the brothers. The internet is having a major impact with thousands of brothers frequenting ex-witness sites while remaining nominally active in meeting attendance and field service.

A number of issues may have lead to this situation and need to be addressed as a matter of urgency.

1) Our young people in general are not learning to be spiritual men and women. Too many are turning to the world. Many seem to have a foot in both camps. It is common practise for young ones to be in the field ministry in the morning and drinking at night clubs in the evening. Little is provided for our young people. Other religious groups are flourishing because they recognize the special needs of youth. We urgently need programs for our youth. Individual congregations are unable to initiate such programs. The future of the work depends upon our young people. They are the elders and ministerial servants of tomorrow.

2) Too much emphasis has been placed upon the organization and following its lead rather than on a personal relationship with our Heavenly Father. Following Christ has become equated with following organizational directions. For instance the blood issue is now so complex that many are confused and an example of how they must consult the publications on every little matter. It is noted that many brothers do not seem to have a personal relationship with Jehovah and are better able to explain congregational or organizational tradition and procedures than the scriptures.

3) Our record of interpretation of Biblical prophecy is very poor, one for which we all need to take responsibility. Our own words condemn us.

*** w97 5/1 p. 8 Identifying the Right Kind of Messenger ***
    “I am . . . the One making the word of his servant come true, and the One that carries out completely the counsel of his own messengers.”—ISAIAH 44:25, 26.
    JEHOVAH GOD is the Grand Identifier of his true messengers. He identifies them by making the messages he delivers through them come true. Jehovah is also the Great Exposer of false messengers. How does he expose them? He frustrates their signs and predictions. In this way he shows that they are self-appointed prognosticators, whose messages really spring from their own false reasoning—yes, their foolish, fleshly thinking!

Much of the older literature is now available through the internet enabling anyone to confirm our embarrassing record of failed predictions, e.g. the truth of what we said prior to 1930 regarding 1914 and the manner in which it was presented. The Proclaimers book was less than candid about many things. Jehovah’s blessing depends on setting things straight with a detailed apology and recognition that Jehovah had nothing to do with these interpretations as was claimed. It is time for honesty and repentance. No other religious organization can match the list of failed predictions made on a worldwide scale for which we are responsible.

4) Abandoning our ‘1914 generation’ teaching in 1995 – after it had clearly failed – showed we acted with hindsight, not insight. For nearly fifty years we preached that the generation of 1914 would see the end of this system: every issue of Awake! claimed it was God’s promise. Yet in 1995 this fundamental teaching was abandoned, and notice what was suggested in the November 1, 1995 Watchtower:

*** w95 11/1 p. 17 par. 6 A Time to Keep Awake ***
    6 Not only must we pay attention to the inspired prophecies concerning these final days of a wicked system but we must anchor our faith primarily on the precious sacrifice of Christ Jesus and God’s marvelous promises based thereon. (Hebrews 6:17-19; 9:14; 1 Peter 1:18, 19; 2 Peter 1:16-19) Eager to see the end of this evil system, Jehovah’s people have at times speculated about the time when the “great tribulation” would break out, even tying this to calculations of what is the lifetime of a generation since 1914. However, we “bring a heart of wisdom in,” not by speculating about how many years or days make up a generation, but by thinking about how we “count our days” in bringing joyful praise to Jehovah. (Psalm 90:12) Rather than provide a rule for measuring time, the term “generation” as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historical period, with their identifying characteristics.

Did the Live Forever consider it mere ‘speculation’?

*** pe chap. 18 p. 154 par. 8 “The End of the World” Is at Hand! ***
    Which generation did Jesus mean? He meant the generation of people who were living in 1914. Those persons yet remaining of that generation are now very old. However, some of them will still be alive to see the end of this wicked system. So of this we can be certain: Shortly now there will be a sudden end to all wickedness and wicked people at Armageddon.

Five years later, the Isaiah’s Prophecy I book stated:

*** ip-1 chap. 22 p. 301 par. 26 Isaiah Foretells Jehovah’s ‘Strange Deed’ ***
    While Christians are properly subject to governmental authorities and look to them to provide certain services, salvation comes, not from the secular world, but from Jehovah God. Also, we must never forget that like the judgment on apostate Jerusalem, God’s judgment on this generation is inescapable. With Jehovah’s help we can continue to proclaim his warning despite opposition, as did Isaiah.—Isaiah 28:14, 22; Matthew 24:34; Romans 13:1-4.

This teaching was not speculative – it was taught as definitive truth. It was listed among the unique truths of Jehovah’s Witnesses and any who denied it would habe been disfellowshipped for apostasy. It was far more than mere ‘speculation’ and the Watchtower was less than honest in the way it dealt with this major change.

5) A British journalist reported that, from 1992 until 2001, the Society had applied for, and was associated with, the United Nations as a Non-Government Organization (NGO). The UN was so inundated with requests for information from brothers who couldn’t believe their ears, the NGO Section chief posted a notice on their website (http://www.un.org/dpi/ngosection/pdfs/watchtower.pdf).

Yet notice why the Society condemned Christendom for ‘putting her hope in the United Nations’:

*** w91 6/1 p. 17 pars. 10-11 Their Refuge—A Lie! ***
    10 … Since 1945 [Christendom] has put her hope in the United Nations. (Compare Revelation 17:3, 11.) How extensive is her involvement with this organization?
    11 A recent book gives an idea when it states: “No less than twenty-four Catholic organizations are represented at the UN …”

The Society condemned other religions for their association with the UN while they themselves were filling out their application form. Time is overdue for a printed apology in the Watchtower for such hypocrisy in light of the faithful example of our brothers in Malawi and other countries. Many have left the organization over this issue having felt betrayed, including some anointed ones. (The library card excuse is not valid as an NGO associated with the UN DPI must support the principles and the charter of the UN.)

6) We have become legalistic, even Pharisaic in many ways. Insisting on trivial matters and creating a myriad of rules both written and unwritten that weigh the brothers down and rob them of the joy that should be theirs in serving Jehovah. While disfellowshipping wrongdoers keeps the congregation clean, there is little consistency between congregations and a myriad of guidelines has devalued the ransom sacrifice of Christ Jesus. We find no scriptural example for our judicial procedures. Thousands of families have been torn apart and many are suffering. This goes far beyond what Jesus implied at Matt.10:37 and is solely a result of our policies.

7) We have been too judgemental of others, belittling them as ‘so-called Christians.’ Though quoting Christendom’s past leaders and condemning them and their religions to destruction, we conveniently ignore our own past mistakes, explaining them away with terms such as ‘present truth’ or ‘new light.’ If we have judged others for what they said and did in the past, then surely we too should be responsible for what we said and printed in Jehovah’s name. Don’t Jesus’ words at Matthew 7:2 apply equally to us?

8) Most concerning is the issue of child abuse. A recent court case in the Superior Court of California saw Jehovah’s people fighting a case against a victim of abuse for the right to withhold information it held about the abuser.

How is this different from Christendom’s behaviour? We lost the case. Will elders be asked to destroy information regarding child abusers to deny courts access to this information? Would the brothers be happy to know their donated money is being used to fight cases in court that really only protect the rights of abusers and the organization rather than the victims? This is most disturbing after the distribution of Kingdom News #37, highlighting the failures of other religions in handling child abuse.

Of further concern, the Society lawyers claimed before the court ‘clergy penitent privilege,’ despite the fact we have always claimed to have no clergy as distinct from Christendom. The court rejected this claim.

One recent out of court settlement to sixteen victims of child abuse by elders and ministerial servants cost the Society millions of dollars in donated money. This was widely publicised in the media. Many more cases are pending. While our procedures have tightened up in recent years this has only been a result of legal action and bad publicity. We face years of ongoing legal actions by abuse victims and costly settlements for our lack of insight in the past.

In ancient Israel, God’s earthly organization at the time, Jehovah sent faithful men to set things straight. Men like Jeremiah, Samuel, Isaiah, Ezekiel and others fearlessly spoke out before kings, Jehovah’s anointed ones at the time. Sadly, anyone who speaks up today – even with the best of motives – is fearful of being disfellowshiped. Individuals have no voice within the organization. Anointed brothers with many years of faithful service have been disfellowshiped for raising concerns with the Governing Body. It seems in reality that the “faithful and discreet slave” does not include these anointed ones after all. (Matthew 24:45-47.) Any expressed criticism of the Governing Body is considered apostasy. This is an unhealthy situation.

For this reason we have decided to remain anonymous for fear of losing our families. Many active brothers are in contact about these matters, including anointed ones, Bethel family members and elders who require, of necessity, to secretly communicate with each other. How sad an ‘underground’ has even developed among Jehovah’s people. These brothers have genuine concern, love Jehovah and have strong faith in the ransom of Christ but have lost confidence in the earthly organization. We do not make any claim to being used by God in this matter. Love of Jehovah, Christ and our brothers is our only motivation. We feel more can be accomplished by remaining in our positions of oversight and having an effect upon the brothers at a local level and working for change with Jehovah’s direction.

Attacks by apostates are increasing particularly through the internet. This can be negated by being honest both with ourselves and with others. As Luke 8:17 says, “There is nothing hidden that will not become manifest, neither anything carefully concealed that will never become known and never come into the open”. Instead of shooting the messenger, we need to take responsibility and repent before Jehovah. The apostate problem will disappear if we become more reasonable and admit our mistakes. The internet problem will not go away by simply warning the brothers against typing ‘Jehovah’s Witnesses’ into their search engines.

It is hoped this letter will appeal to the conscience of those with honest hearts to make a real examination of the situation. We believe Jehovah’s future blessing is dependant on our repentance. We can not say we have the Truth if we are not truthful with ourselves. It is our prayer that all Bodies of Elders will pray on these matters and express their concerns to their Circuit Overseers and the local branch. We have no doubt it will bring Jehovah’s blessing. Our fear is the organization will become irrelevant if change is not made. The very fact we need to send you this letter anonymously is a striking example of the situation we have created for ourselves.

We pray for Jehovah’s blessing in your consideration of these matters.

Your Brothers in Jehovah’s service

• tula
    tula

Lets get all the revision work discussed and accuracy double and triple checked and all make sure we are on the same page before we begin sending these letters out. Lets wait for a certain date and then all do it at one time. That way, we can flood them before any squash tactics start.

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

I would be happy to mail any to addresses provided to me. PM me if you have an address you'd like it sent to.

I think this is a great letter, I thank the collective brains behind it!

• skeeder
    skeeder

IT Support,

I'm glad to have you on board with this.

Your revision has my vote.

I particularly like the additional stuff on the UN.

S

• Wingman
    Wingman

Thanks IT Support,

I really appreciated your comments regarding the letter and your improvements to the grammar.

I am very distressed that the WT quote is wrong. Thank you for noticing this.

One suggestion I would make is not to include the actual quotes but only the references. The letter was designed with this in mind.

It is amazing how most will not accept information presented to them but when read direct from their own literature it can have an effect.

As you know we all generally accept things when we discover them ourselves. The letter is designed to help people first think and then hopefully act. Let the brothers do their own research. This is an important part of the purpose behind this letter.

This letter is a joint effort and your input is valuable. It is not owned by Wingman and is free of all copyright.

Please feel free to post your edited version with improved grammar and additional references in a new thread, but I strongly suggest you do not include actual quotations.

Let me know if you do not agree with these comments. I do think we need to be united on this.

Once again many thanks.

Wingman

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

Eclipse, that was a fantastic letter and who ever wrote it did so with love and concern for the brothers and sister that we all should mimic. I certainly hope as well as pray, that some will be moved by such reasoning as displayed in this letter. If just one person finds that letter to be refreshing who is a of the rank and file and or an elder than he will tell or show it to many more and so on, and gods spirit will do the rest, no matter how stiff necked the governing body is they are no match for Jehovah god and his son Jesus Christ.

• Wingman
    Wingman

Please see below the letter to Bodies of Elders with the correction to the w95 reference some revisions to grammar as suggested, thanks to IT Support. Lets hope enough can get behind this to have an effect. If you are confident in the value of this letter to your loved ones please also send them a copy. I will also post this in a new thread. To the Body of Elders, Dear Brothers, It is with matters of great concern that we write you. We feel at this time the organization is in serious crisis. Indications are that Jehovah may have removed his spirit from the organization as he did to his people in ancient times. This is reflected in the yearly report and a definite downturn particularly in countries where the work is well established. Many have lost their zeal for the ministry and are inactive. Too many young ones are not staying with Jehovah. The increase of family breakdown, poor meeting attendance, fewer baptisms each year and the apathy of the brothers also indicate a withdrawal of God’s spirit. Depression is a real issue among the brothers. The internet is having a major impact with thousands of brothers frequenting ex-witness sites while remaining nominally active in meeting attendance and field service. A number of issues may have lead to this situation and need to be addressed as a matter of urgency. 1) Our young people in general are not learning to be spiritual men and women. Too many are turning to the world. Many seem to have a foot in both camps. It is common practise for young ones to be in the field ministry in the morning and drinking at night clubs in the evening. Little is provided for our young people. Other religious groups are flourishing because they recognize the special needs of youth. We urgently need programs for our youth. Individual congregations are unable to initiate such programs. The future of the work depends upon our young people. They are the elders and ministerial servants of tomorrow. 2) Too much emphasis has been placed upon the organization and following its lead rather than on a personal relationship with our Heavenly Father. Following Christ has become equated with following organizational directions. For instance the blood issue is now so complex that many are confused and an example of how they must consult the publications on every little matter. It is noted that many brothers do not seem to have a personal relationship with Jehovah and are better able to explain congregational or organizational tradition and procedures than the scriptures. 3) Our record of interpretation of Biblical prophecy is very poor, one for which we all need to take responsibility. It would seem own words condemn us. (w97 5/1 p. 8 Identifying the Right Kind of Messenger.) Much of the older literature is now available through the internet enabling anyone to confirm our embarrassing record of failed predictions, e.g. the truth of what we said prior to 1930 regarding 1914 and the manner in which it was presented. The Proclaimers book was less than candid about many things. Jehovah’s blessing depends on setting things straight with a detailed apology and recognition that Jehovah had nothing to do with these interpretations as was claimed. It is time for honesty and repentance. No other religious organization can match the list of failed predictions made on a worldwide scale for which we are responsible. 4) Abandoning the ‘1914 generation’ teaching in 1995 – after it had clearly failed – showed we acted with hindsight, not insight. For nearly fifty years we preached that the generation of 1914 would see the end of this system: every issue of Awake! claimed it was God’s promise. Yet in 1995 this fundamental teaching was abandoned. (w95 11/1 p. 17 par 6. “A Time to keep Awake”.) This teaching was not speculative as suggested in the Watchtower – it was taught as definitive truth. (pe chap. 18 p. 154 par. 8 "The End of the World" Is at Hand!) It was listed among the unique truths of Jehovah’s Witnesses and any voiced denial of this teaching were grounds for disfellowshipping for apostasy. It was far more than mere speculation and the Watchtower was less than honest in the way it dealt with this major change. 5) The discovery by a British journalist and report in the London Guardian newspaper that, from 1992 until 2001, the Society had applied for, and was associated with, the United Nations as a Non-Government Organization (NGO). Only after this article did the Society disassociate itself as an NGO. The UN was so inundated with requests for information from brothers who couldn’t believe this was true, the NGO Section chief posted a notice on their website. The notice still appears there. A Watchtower article condemned other religions for their association with the UN as NGO’s the year before the Society applied for and was accepted for NGO status. w91 6/1 p. 17 pars. 10-11 Their Refuge—A Lie! Time is overdue for a printed apology in the Watchtower for such hypocrisy in light of the faithful example of our brothers in Malawi and other countries. Many have left the organization over this issue having felt betrayed, including some anointed ones. (The library card excuse is not valid as an NGO associated with the UN DPI must support the principles and the charter of the UN.) 6) We have become legalistic, even Pharisaic in many ways. Insisting on trivial matters and creating a myriad of rules both written and unwritten that weigh the brothers down and rob them of the joy that should be theirs in serving Jehovah. While disfellowshipping wrongdoers keeps the congregation clean, there is little consistency between congregations and a myriad of guidelines has devalued the ransom sacrifice of Christ Jesus. We find no scriptural example for our judicial procedures. Thousands of families have been torn apart and many are suffering. This goes far beyond what Jesus implied at Matt.10:37 and is solely a result of our policies. 7) We have been too judgemental of others, belittling them as ‘so-called Christians.’ Though quoting Christendom’s past leaders and condemning them and their religions to destruction, we have distanced ourselves from our own words, explaining them away with terms such as ‘present truth’ or ‘new light.’ If we have judged others for what they said and did in the past, then surely we too should be responsible for what we said and printed in Jehovah’s name. Don’t Jesus’ words at Matthew 7:2 apply equally to us? 8) Most concerning is the issue of child abuse. A recent court case in the Superior Court of California saw Jehovah’s people fighting a case against a victim of abuse for the right to withhold information it held about the abuser. How is this different from Christendom’s behaviour? We lost the case. Will elders be asked to destroy information regarding child abusers to deny courts access to this information? Would the brothers be happy to know their donated money is being used to fight cases in court that really only protect the rights of abusers and the organization rather than the victims? This is most disturbing after the distribution of Kingdom News #37, highlighting the failures of other religions in handling child abuse. Of further concern, the Society lawyers claimed before the court ‘clergy penitent privilege,’ despite the fact we have always claimed to have no clergy as distinct from Christendom. The court rejected this claim. One recent out of court settlement to sixteen victims of child abuse by elders and ministerial servants cost the Society millions of dollars in donated money. This was widely publicised in the media. Many more cases are pending. While our procedures have tightened up in recent years this has only been a result of legal action and bad publicity. We face years of ongoing legal actions by abuse victims and costly settlements for our lack of insight in the past. In ancient Israel, God’s earthly organization at the time, Jehovah sent faithful men to set things straight. Men like Jeremiah, Samuel, Isaiah, Ezekiel and others fearlessly spoke out before kings and priests, Jehovah’s anointed ones at the time. Sadly, anyone who speaks up today – even with the best of motives – is fearful of being disfellowshiped. Individuals have no voice within the organization. Anointed brothers with many years of faithful service have been disfellowshiped for raising concerns with the Governing Body. It seems in reality that the “faithful and discreet slave” does not include these anointed ones after all. (Matthew 24:45-47.) Any expressed criticism of the Governing Body is considered apostasy. This is an unhealthy situation. For this reason we have decided to remain anonymous for fear of losing our families. Many active brothers are in contact about these matters, including anointed ones, Bethel family members and elders who require, of necessity, to secretly communicate with each other. How sad an ‘underground’ has even developed among Jehovah’s people. These brothers have genuine concern, love Jehovah and have strong faith in the ransom of Christ but have lost confidence in the earthly organization. We do not make any claim to being used by God in this matter. Love of Jehovah, Christ and our brothers is our only motivation. We feel more can be accomplished by remaining in our positions of oversight and having an effect upon the brothers at a local level and working for change with Jehovah’s direction. Attacks by apostates are increasing particularly through the internet. This can be negated by being honest both with ourselves and with others. As Luke 8:17 says, “There is nothing hidden that will not become manifest, neither anything carefully concealed that will never become known and never come into the open”. Instead of shooting the messenger, we need to take responsibility and repent before Jehovah. The apostate problem will disappear if we become more reasonable and admit our mistakes. The internet problem will not go away by simply warning the brothers against typing ‘Jehovah’s Witnesses’ into their search engines. It is hoped this letter will appeal to the conscience of those with honest hearts to make a real examination of the situation. We believe Jehovah’s future blessing is dependant on our repentance. We can not say we have the Truth if we are not truthful with ourselves. It is our prayer that all Bodies of Elders will pray on these matters and express their concerns to their Circuit Overseers and the local branch. We have no doubt it will bring Jehovah’s blessing. Our fear is the organization will become irrelevant if change is not made. The very fact we need to send you this letter anonymously is a striking example of the situation we have created for ourselves. We pray for Jehovah’s blessing in your consideration of these matters. Your Brothers in Jehovah’s service

• Wingman
    Wingman

Sorry that is not how I intended to post it.

Could I please pm someone who knows how to post this properly formated.

eclipse was good enough to do this for me the last time.

Wingman (newbie and computer dumby)

• eclipse
    eclipse

Wingman, Here is your letter again, with paragraph breaks, I hope it's similar to how you originaly formatted it. I use IE for JWD because it's less headaches for formatting, Thank you cheetos, but I cannot take any credit, I merely pasted the letter that wingman sent me via PM.

Here it is:

To the Body of Elders,

Dear Brothers,

It is with matters of great concern that we write you. We feel at this time the organization is in serious crisis. Indications are that Jehovah may have removed his spirit from the organization as he did to his people in ancient times. This is reflected in the yearly report and a definite downturn particularly in countries where the work is well established. Many have lost their zeal for the ministry and are inactive. Too many young ones are not staying with Jehovah. The increase of family breakdown, poor meeting attendance, fewer baptisms each year and the apathy of the brothers also indicate a withdrawal of God’s spirit. Depression is a real issue among the brothers. The internet is having a major impact with thousands of brothers frequenting ex-witness sites while remaining nominally active in meeting attendance and field service. A number of issues may have lead to this situation and need to be addressed as a matter of urgency.

1) Our young people in general are not learning to be spiritual men and women. Too many are turning to the world. Many seem to have a foot in both camps. It is common practise for young ones to be in the field ministry in the morning and drinking at night clubs in the evening. Little is provided for our young people. Other religious groups are flourishing because they recognize the special needs of youth. We urgently need programs for our youth. Individual congregations are unable to initiate such programs. The future of the work depends upon our young people. They are the elders and ministerial servants of tomorrow.

2) Too much emphasis has been placed upon the organization and following its lead rather than on a personal relationship with our Heavenly Father. Following Christ has become equated with following organizational directions. For instance the blood issue is now so complex that many are confused and an example of how they must consult the publications on every little matter. It is noted that many brothers do not seem to have a personal relationship with Jehovah and are better able to explain congregational or organizational tradition and procedures than the scriptures.

3) Our record of interpretation of Biblical prophecy is very poor, one for which we all need to take responsibility. It would seem own words condemn us. (w97 5/1 p. 8 Identifying the Right Kind of Messenger.) Much of the older literature is now available through the internet enabling anyone to confirm our embarrassing record of failed predictions, e.g. the truth of what we said prior to 1930 regarding 1914 and the manner in which it was presented. The Proclaimers book was less than candid about many things. Jehovah’s blessing depends on setting things straight with a detailed apology and recognition that Jehovah had nothing to do with these interpretations as was claimed. It is time for honesty and repentance. No other religious organization can match the list of failed predictions made on a worldwide scale for which we are responsible.

4) Abandoning the ‘1914 generation’ teaching in 1995 – after it had clearly failed – showed we acted with hindsight, not insight. For nearly fifty years we preached that the generation of 1914 would see the end of this system: every issue of Awake! claimed it was God’s promise. Yet in 1995 this fundamental teaching was abandoned.
    (w95 11/1 p. 17 par 6. “A Time to keep Awake”.)
    This teaching was not speculative as suggested in the Watchtower – it was taught as definitive truth.
    (pe chap. 18 p. 154 par. 8 "The End of the World" Is at Hand!)
    It was listed among the unique truths of Jehovah’s Witnesses and any voiced denial of this teaching were grounds for disfellowshipping for apostasy. It was far more than mere speculation and the Watchtower was less than honest in the way it dealt with this major change.

5) The discovery by a British journalist and report in the London Guardian newspaper that, from 1992 until 2001, the Society had applied for, and was associated with, the United Nations as a Non-Government Organization (NGO). Only after this article did the Society disassociate itself as an NGO. The UN was so inundated with requests for information from brothers who couldn’t believe this was true, the NGO Section chief posted a notice on their website. The notice still appears there. A Watchtower article condemned other religions for their association with the UN as NGO’s the year before the Society applied for and was accepted for NGO status.
    w91 6/1 p. 17 pars. 10-11 Their Refuge—A Lie!
    Time is overdue for a printed apology in the Watchtower for such hypocrisy in light of the faithful example of our brothers in Malawi and other countries. Many have left the organization over this issue having felt betrayed, including some anointed ones. (The library card excuse is not valid as an NGO associated with the UN DPI must support the principles and the charter of the UN.)

6) We have become legalistic, even Pharisaic in many ways. Insisting on trivial matters and creating a myriad of rules both written and unwritten that weigh the brothers down and rob them of the joy that should be theirs in serving Jehovah. While disfellowshipping wrongdoers keeps the congregation clean, there is little consistency between congregations and a myriad of guidelines has devalued the ransom sacrifice of Christ Jesus. We find no scriptural example for our judicial procedures. Thousands of families have been torn apart and many are suffering. This goes far beyond what Jesus implied at Matt.10:37 and is solely a result of our policies.

7) We have been too judgemental of others, belittling them as ‘so-called Christians.’ Though quoting Christendom’s past leaders and condemning them and their religions to destruction, we have distanced ourselves from our own words, explaining them away with terms such as ‘present truth’ or ‘new light.’ If we have judged others for what they said and did in the past, then surely we too should be responsible for what we said and printed in Jehovah’s name. Don’t Jesus’ words at Matthew 7:2 apply equally to us?

8) Most concerning is the issue of child abuse. A recent court case in the Superior Court of California saw Jehovah’s people fighting a case against a victim of abuse for the right to withhold information it held about the abuser. How is this different from Christendom’s behaviour? We lost the case. Will elders be asked to destroy information regarding child abusers to deny courts access to this information? Would the brothers be happy to know their donated money is being used to fight cases in court that really only protect the rights of abusers and the organization rather than the victims?

This is most disturbing after the distribution of Kingdom News #37, highlighting the failures of other religions in handling child abuse. Of further concern, the Society lawyers claimed before the court ‘clergy penitent privilege,’ despite the fact we have always claimed to have no clergy as distinct from Christendom. The court rejected this claim. One recent out of court settlement to sixteen victims of child abuse by elders and ministerial servants cost the Society millions of dollars in donated money.

This was widely publicised in the media. Many more cases are pending. While our procedures have tightened up in recent years this has only been a result of legal action and bad publicity. We face years of ongoing legal actions by abuse victims and costly settlements for our lack of insight in the past. In ancient Israel, God’s earthly organization at the time, Jehovah sent faithful men to set things straight. Men like Jeremiah, Samuel, Isaiah, Ezekiel and others fearlessly spoke out before kings and priests, Jehovah’s anointed ones at the time.

Sadly, anyone who speaks up today – even with the best of motives – is fearful of being disfellowshiped. Individuals have no voice within the organization. Anointed brothers with many years of faithful service have been disfellowshiped for raising concerns with the Governing Body. It seems in reality that the “faithful and discreet slave” does not include these anointed ones after all. (Matthew 24:45-47.) Any expressed criticism of the Governing Body is considered apostasy. This is an unhealthy situation. For this reason we have decided to remain anonymous for fear of losing our families. Many active brothers are in contact about these matters, including anointed ones, Bethel family members and elders who require, of necessity, to secretly communicate with each other.

How sad an ‘underground’ has even developed among Jehovah’s people. These brothers have genuine concern, love Jehovah and have strong faith in the ransom of Christ but have lost confidence in the earthly organization. We do not make any claim to being used by God in this matter. Love of Jehovah, Christ and our brothers is our only motivation. We feel more can be accomplished by remaining in our positions of oversight and having an effect upon the brothers at a local level and working for change with Jehovah’s direction. Attacks by apostates are increasing particularly through the internet. This can be negated by being honest both with ourselves and with others. As Luke 8:17 says, “There is nothing hidden that will not become manifest, neither anything carefully concealed that will never become known and never come into the open”.

Instead of shooting the messenger, we need to take responsibility and repent before Jehovah. The apostate problem will disappear if we become more reasonable and admit our mistakes. The internet problem will not go away by simply warning the brothers against typing ‘Jehovah’s Witnesses’ into their search engines. It is hoped this letter will appeal to the conscience of those with honest hearts to make a real examination of the situation.

We believe Jehovah’s future blessing is dependant on our repentance. We can not say we have the Truth if we are not truthful with ourselves. It is our prayer that all Bodies of Elders will pray on these matters and express their concerns to their Circuit Overseers and the local branch. We have no doubt it will bring Jehovah’s blessing.

Our fear is the organization will become irrelevant if change is not made. The very fact we need to send you this letter anonymously is a striking example of the situation we have created for ourselves. We pray for Jehovah’s blessing in your consideration of these matters.

Your Brothers in Jehovah’s service

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit