How Honest Are You Really???

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• golf2
    golf2

Eclipse, as the saying goes, people MAKE mistakes !!!!! When I do, I call myself, dodo-bird, my grandchildren get a kick out of it.

Golf

• eclipse
    eclipse

I make mistakes all the time, I appreciate it when someone points them out to me so that I can rectify them.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

If I notice it at the time of the transaction or in the parking lot I will bring it up, if I notice it at home I let it be. Returning to pay for an item can be perceived as a guilty conscience over stealing an item. That happened to me once, and for months after that I was followed by security because they remembered my face but not the reason I talked to them.

More hassle than it was worth.

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

It would be interesting to see a poll on this subject by the general population but the pessimist in me thinks that it wouldn't be accurate. Dishonesty on an honesty poll, hmm.

I once saw this "The difference between hunters and fishermen is that a hunter lies in wait and a fisherman waits, and lies."

I personally try to be an honest person (honest I do!) and I've run into many people that consider examples like those above 'windfalls' for them and 'too bad' for the persons who made the mistake.

Eagle

• golf2
    golf2

While we're on this subject, here's a sample of dishonesty. While playing in Jamaica in a golf tournament, my room-mate a Jamaican was told by his friend who is a golf official, Mel, "You can cheat, just don't get caught". Well, he did get caught, and he was suspended to play not only in Jamaica but Florida and Quebec.

There's more stories in my file, but enough said.

Golf

• Clam
    Clam

Why not ask to speak to the store manager and insist that the inefficient cashier is sacked? You could then ask the manager for a further discount as reward for helping to root out poor staff.

Clam as a character in The Parable of the 10 cent Coat

• Hermano
    Hermano

I would have kept my mouth shut and walked away. What's the saying innocent as a dove, sly as a serpent?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Well, I'll give you an actual example, not a hypothetical. I went to deposit my paycheck, and was going to keep out $50. The teller took my deposit slip, and handed me $50. He then got side tracked for a moment by another customer, and when he returned his attention to me he went to hand me a second $50. I hesitated for a couple of seconds, and then told him he'd already paid me.

He was quite embarrassed, but exceedingly thankful. I knew he made an honest mistake, and I also knew that $50 short could easily cost him big, so I did not take the money. There you have it.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I dont know how honest I am. But, If you buy something for 10$ and pay 10cents, you need a receit to walk out and I doubt the receits would print out a 10$ item for 10cents.

In Florida there are laws that if you pay an outrageously low price for something, the law expects you to know that it is stolen. That will be your battle in court.

Whatever I take out of a store, I need a receit for.

Now if you give me a righteous receit and too much change thats another story.

I hold big business in the same high regard they hold me.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

I think God values character more than he values what religion someone professes to belong to. I would have told the cashier about her mistake. I have found mistakes a few times when being rung up at stores and more than once a cashier said "You didn't have to tell me!" like it was ok for me to get away with it. Anyway, I wouldn't want someone to knowingly cheat me. I live in metro Atlanta. We have our local hockey team the Atlanta Thrashers. Well, long story short, a young Mormon gentleman was attending the Thrashers game. He didn't have much money, so he ended up in the nosebleed section of the rink. The stadium wasn't very crowded, so people from the upper section started moving down to the closer seats. He moved down, too. A few days later the Thrasher's front office got a check from this young man accompanied by a note explaining that the check was for the difference in price between the ticket he purchased and the seat he occupied for much of the game. How's that for character? Think about how many "brothers" or "sisters" you've known who were either covertly or openly dishonest in their business dealings? How many lied about their field service time?? Hmmmm...... which do you think displays more character?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit