How Honest Are You Really???

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• ninja
    ninja

I am always honest.....honest

• minu
    minu

This is what happened to me.

It was late, I had just helped my brother move. I was tired, sticky, stinky and just plain grubby. I pulled in to the grocery to get 2 items, shampoo and cat food. As I was getting out of my car, my cell rang. I almost didn't answer it but it was my mom. She proceeds to chatter about stuff that I have no control over and it gets me a little worked up. I grab my two items and proceed to walk out of the store. I WALK OUT OF THE STORE, with my Shampoo and Cat Food. I get halfway to my car and tell my mom that i've just stolen something and I have to let her go. I hang up on her while she is in shock at my statement, turn around, get in line and pay for my stuff. I could have easily gone home. No one even gave me a second glance, no one came to chase me down in the parking lot.

I feel I did the right thing. I also called my mom and explained to her what happened. She was a mess by the time I called her back.

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

NOT VERY!

• Hermano
    Hermano

If we're talking about a couple bucks discount I wouldn't say anything. If it's a substancial amount then I would speak up and let them know about the error. Final answer.

• minimus
    minimus

I also think that if we see a mistake that an employee might have to literally pay for out of their own pocket, we tend to be more honest but if a utility company or a large retail store made a mistake, we might not think the same.

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

I'm in sales, what's that tell ya?

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I'm w/ Hermano. Had it been a pair of panties instead of a leather jacket, I would act like it was nothing. Panties aren't nearly as expensive as leather jackets...well, unless they are made of black leather

• Ex Nihilo
    Ex Nihilo

I would undoubtedly repair the error. I have a phobia of lying as it creates problems later on in a dreaded chain reaction.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

I once went to a local restaurant, and noticed they forgot an item worth about 8 bucks. The hostess behind the counter looked at me like I was from another planet. It also took about 10 minutes to correct it.

The other day I bought some lettuce and the girl priced it wrong by 11 cents (in my favour).

In normal instances, I always believe in doing the right thing. AKA Karma. Seems to always work for me. But to sit in a line for another 10 minutes for 11 cents was a joke. Someday they will screw me for 11 cents of veggies I will have to throw out anyway.

I guess I just put myself in their position. Small businesses will suffer at a substantial loss.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

When I go to Subway for my lunch break I get the daily special ans usually substitute a bottle of milk for the soda which is 10 cents more. Half the cashiers cannot figure out how to plug the substitution into their register and end up charging me 10 cents less. In that case it's their willful stupidity/laziness that saves me 10 cents so I'm not going to tell them to charge me the proper amount, and waste half my lunch waiting for them to figure it out.

Usually though if it's an honest mistake I'll point it out. I still think the golden rule is a good idea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit