Another girl topic not for the guys

by mrsjones5 38 Replies latest members private

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I've been toying with bring this to the board cuz maybe you all might think I'm crazy but since it's my time of the month why the hell not. It's about making cloth menstrual pads. Yeah I know it's sounds freaky but when my babies were small I used cloth diapers and did a lot of research on making them. On quite a few of the sites there was also information about making nursing pad (made them, worked great) and menstrual pads.

I just got up the courage to make a few, found a pattern online, got some fabric and whipped up a couple. Tried one and it was great. Got to finish the rest now.

But I wonder: What do you all think about it?

Here's a site to check it out: http://sewgreen.blogspot.com/2007/05/cloth-pads.html

• Soledad
    Soledad

Good for you. I don't use disposable products either, going on 7 years now. Much better for the environment this way. Imagine all those napkins and tampons in our sewer systems and landfills---

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

This will probably be in poor taste but I have to say it seems clean up would probably be a bloody mess.

I think that's one thing I wouldn't want to recycle.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

It doesn't sound freaky to me at all, Mrs Jones. It's definitely environmentally friendly, and economic as well.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I remember having to make ours. We used white muslin material and sterile cotton. We had to burn them after using them, however. But, I did know some who would soak them until clean, dry them, and reuse them. This may sound extreme, but when the nearest store is 50 miles away, and your pocketbook is thinner than a dime, you make do with what you have on hand.

Snowbird

• PEC
    PEC

mrsjones5, I'm not doing your laundry.

Philip

• Mum
    Mum

It's an excellent idea. I remember my grandmother doing the same. Before the days of food stamps and welfare, Appalachian Americans were extremely resourceful. It would behoove more of us to learn how to make our own stuff in case of hard times.

Regards,

SandraC

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

That's alright Philip, hubby doesn't do laundry either.

Thanks guys for the replies. Another reason why I'm doing this is I'm tired of the sticky strip getting stuck to my underside...Owie!

• rebel8
    rebel8

Let's go one step further and just stop menstruation altogether by removing the plumbing. The plumbing is biodegradable and you don't have all that laundry detergent and hot water to wash the cloths.

just kidding

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Ahh yes one of my biggest pet peeves.

I hate hate hate throwing things away that I don't have to.

We have done regular toss away diapers for the kids, which now that we have spent possibly thousands of dollars on them, the next one I have I swear I'm doing cloth.

So yeah, what's the difference between that and menstrual pads?

I bought the gladrags a few years ago and alternate between those and pads and cups. Looking into the diva cup as well.

Thanks so much for the link, the gladrags are expensive.

http://www.gladrags.com/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit