Josie

((((Mrs. Jones))))

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thank you

((((Dragonlady))))

• KW13
    KW13

To be honest its no suprise that i or anyone else might single out the JW's because as mentioned, those were the religion that affected us, that is who this topic was about and that is who this website is about.

If you don't wish to listen to people discussing Jehovahs Witnesses or off loading their feelings and using it as a vent, then your in the wrong place.

The Witnesses have always claimed to be led by Jehovah, they always were 'no part of the world' so the fact that they reflected Society at that time just goes to show what a load of bollocks that is. This isn't about doctrines and changes in doctrines, this is about the people who were harmed by them.

• steve2
    steve2

This thread started out as a content analysis of older Watchtower publications on rape. Fair enough, I suppose. This is after all a website devoted to discussion about JWs. What I noticed is that posters began reacting as if the Watchtower alone was spouting the "scream when raped" nonsense, not even acknowledgeding that this kind of blame-the-victim mentality prevailed in earlier decades. Fair enough again. Excuse me then for entering the discussion and saying, "Hey, wait a minute: Yes the Watchtower's guilty of this patriarchal mentality, but that's hardly surprising given the entrenched myths that were also echoed by other Christian groups and wider society".

One of the things I've always hated about the watchtower was its habit of making biased, sweeping, absolute statements on controversial topics. Looking at the tone of some of the comments made about the watchtower in this thread alone, I see it's a skill that has rubbed off and remained with some of those who've left the organization.

Incidentally, this thread started as a content analysis of oldere Watchtower publications on women and rape. Responding to one of my questions on that topic by widening the discussion to include pedophilia in the organization seems gratuitous - given that none of my comments had been about this topic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit