What does your city/town smell like??

by horrible life 46 Replies latest jw friends

• horrible life
    horrible life

While on vacation, we drove through Amarillo. The smell of cattle was everywhere. For the citizens of Amarillo, Texas, that is the smell of money.

In my town, we have the nearby paper mill, Weyerhaeuser. Again, the smell of money. I just found out what the smell was.

paper mills use sulfur-based chemicals to “dissolve” wood chips into fibers for paper-making. Hydrogen sulfide and methyl mercaptan (the compound that gives natural gas its smell) are given off as byproducts. The human nose is particularly sensitive to these compounds – we can detect the smell when concentrations are as low as one part of sulfur compound per billion parts of air.

What does your city/town smell like????

• DJK
    DJK

Forest.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Every once in a while, my town also smells like a paper mill. The odor from Riegelwood's paper plant is horrid. Thankfully, it's only occasional. Other times, I can smell the marsh and the sea, but that's also rare, unless I am at the beach or by the river. Mostly, it smells like traffic - from the tourists and the live-ins and the commuters - which is also what money smells like. I like the ocean smell the best.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Top end - chicken sh*t - we have a few big chicken slaughterhouses on the outskirts so a lot of lorries drive through :-(

Bottom end - chocolate :-)

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Seaweed, Chips and hot vinegar !

alt

• Apostate Kate2
    Apostate Kate2

My favorite smell is the fragrance of the Joshua Tree forrest I live in after a light summer monsoon. If they made it into a perfume I would wear it. It is sweet, a hint of musk, with a beautiful fragance . Very hard to describe.

The way you describe those mill towns reminds me of growing up in Torrance California. There was a huge plant that was Farmers Brothers as I recall that emmited this rank putrid stink. I would always think, how could making coffee smell that aweful.

• NvrKssdNObutt
    NvrKssdNObutt

I was working on a pig-farmers house and I asked him how he could stand the terrible smell. He sniffed the air and replied "it smells like money to me"

many wt teachings have a foul odor but active jw's learn to overlook it because the wt is suppossedly leading them down the path to life.

But with the addition of UN crap and the pedophile crap I had to quit. I could no longer find boots tall enough to wade through it all without getting crap on my tender little body

So, I guess my answer about how does your town would smell would be ----- any town with a kingdom hall has a rotten stench in the air

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

The Ocean.

• tonic
    tonic

Too often it smells like urine (NYC)...

• greendawn
    greendawn

There is no smell over the whole of the place but if one walks down the main street there are pleasant smells from the bakeries, the fish and chip shop, and the chinese restaurants.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit