30 Minute Public Talk-CONFIRMED

by stillajwexelder 112 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I would have thought they would be better cutting down the length of the WT study before cutting the PT.

Surely they must do something about the WT Study which universally has to be the most boring gathering of any religious group!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Lengthy negative introductions about the state of the system of things/deep last days etc are to be heavily curtailed.

They are trying to re-condition the R&F to stop thinking of doom and gloom. The end is not coming anytime soon so it's best they start controlling the conversations about how all the signs are being seen at once now.

I think this sentence was more telling than the one about the shortened talks.

-Aude.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

I wonder if people will be that fired up to invite members of the public to get all dressed up to come for just a 30min talk - can't see the public being bothered to make the effort IMHO.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

This is to allow for more association and ministry.

Translation: Get out there and bring us more money.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

They are trying to get more 'churchy' - 30 minutes is closer to what many churchgoers would expect. I would not be surprised if this is followed with a change in the timing of the WT study at some point. Allow a break between the two - like two different services in church. With the 'internal Wt' now being introduced, they may wish to keep the WT to 'jw only' status.

This is becoming more and more cultish as time goes on, and it would make sense that they would begin to exclude 'worldly people' from the WT at some point. I might be wrong of course - I usually am.

Jeff

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    My guess (based purely on speculation) is that they're doing this to tighten the society's control on what is said in the public talks, i.e., to lessen the amount of "personal opinions" that the public speaker can introduce into the talk.

i don't think it's even that complicated..

i think its just that the speaking ability is so awful that most elders struggle to hold attention for any length of time. those that can usually use the introduction to set the foundation for an interesting illustration that can be weaved thru-out the talk. i used to love doing that and most congs seemed to enjoy it. and i loved listening to someone who had taken the time and effort to do similarly.

as always the wts are using bible based reasoning i.e. more time for fs to spin a negative into a positive that will have all saying how much this proves jahs blessing.

• steve2
    steve2

MESSAGE GIVEN: Shorter public talk will allow more time for association and ministry.

MESSAGE RECEIVED: Shorter public talk will allow more time for chilling out - the most popular 'activity' of JWs living in Western industrialised countries.

• JapanBoy
    JapanBoy

Why not just CANCEL all the meetin's!

just a thought K

• willyloman
    willyloman

Well, even 30 minutes is a half-hour too long.

• Mum
    Mum

Because this is the public talk, my take on it was that the public might be more likely to attend a 30-minute talk, particularly if they might be bringing small children. In this day and age, people are busy and have better things to do than listen to a whole hour of drivel while, at the same time, trying to cope with children who are not accustomed to being expected to go into an hour-long trance.

The de-emphasis on negativity and doom and gloom predictions will doubtless sound better to the public as well. Who wants to listen to their whiney moaning about how awful everyone and everything are? Not most of the public.

Regards,

SandraC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit