30 Minute Public Talk-CONFIRMED

by stillajwexelder 112 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jah1914
    jah1914

Sorry for double-posting in another forum. I tried to delete, but it told me I did not have permission to delete a post. It's been a while since I've signed on and didn't see the rules.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

it is a hot and interesting topic - I am sure people will not mind

• Santisimo
    Santisimo

The reason the WTS is moving away from doom and gloom during their 'hourly' talks is because they don't want anyone to focus on dates anymore. It's also possible that they are realizing that newbies won't enter if all they're convinced of is the 'soon to come' end of the world. The WTS prefers to win converts on the basis of happy-joy topics and not 'become one of us because the world is full of s--t".

• Santisimo
    Santisimo

By cutting the public talks in half they will now expect their members to spend more time on the streets pushing WT mags. Just when you thought it was safe to sit through your hangover at the KH on Sunday mornings.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

For elders - does this mean that they will still swap speakers? Part of the interest in a new speaker was in his delivery/individuality so if you want only conformity, why would anyone travel to give the same old talk? That makes no sense.

It's not uncommon to travel an hour or more away to give a talk. Why would anyone bother now? Has this been changed?

• gumby
    gumby

Not to sound like a damn sceptic or anything......but why in a 5 page thread has only 1 person heard of this announcement? ( unless I missed something).

I was at the Thursday night meeting and there was no announcement.

Gumby

• watson
    watson

Not to sound like a damn sceptic or anything

LOL.

• steve2
    steve2
    The public meeting will consist just of the 30 minute talk, since that is the average person's attention span,

jah1914 you are way too generous in your estimate of the average person's attention span. Advertisers know that they need to grab the listener's attention immediately or they've lost it.

I'd estimate the average attention span as seconds rather than minutes - especially for a topic people have heard over and over and over ad infinitum. Listeners tune it out as soon as they hear the (boring) repetitive opening words.

On the topic of curtailing the amount of time running the system down: About time! This is a big turn-off to most people and has a lot of people thinking, "We agree the world is screwed. Now get to the your main point!"

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Not to sound like a damn sceptic or anything......but why in a 5 page thread has only 1 person heard of this announcement? ( unless I missed something). I was at the Thursday night meeting and there was no announcement. Gumby

One person posted earlier in the week -then I heard from my own congregation - then I went to another and heard it there too, This is confirmed and the letter has been posted on our notice board

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I believe you. Any chance to get the exact wording of the phrase in the letter about not making the public talks focus on the nearness of the End (or whatever that was...can't remember right now)?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit