30 Minute Public Talk-CONFIRMED

by stillajwexelder 112 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I can confirm (as there seems to be some doubt) at the Service meeting last night during the item about the New Watchtower, a letter was read by the PO. The Public Talk is to be 30 minutes long. This is to allow for more association and ministry.

Lengthy negative introductions about the state of the system of things/deep last days etc are to be heavily curtailed.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Lengthy negative introductions about the state of the system of things/deep last days etc are to be heavily curtailed.

WTF? This has been their M.O. for decades.

• choosing life
    choosing life

The part about lengthy introductions about negative things is something to be applauded. I used to come away from some public talks so depressed that I wondered why I came.

I think the downsizing will continue.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    This is to allow for more association and ministry.

Sunday ministry?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• gumby
    gumby

Wow, this blows me away. I thought it was a hoax that they'd reduce the talk 15 minutes. Of all the meetings it's funny they would reduce the talk.

This is to allow for more association and ministry.

What a bunch of horseshit! Do they REALLY think publishers will actually get in more service time? Give me a break!

This will be about as affective as discouraging witnesses from playing sports in school for the purpose of the young ones spending more time in the ministry.

Gumby

• Gopher
    Gopher

Sorry, I double-posted with Gumb-preacher. (Great minds, etc., etc.)

• sir82
    sir82

Our PO tends to hold onto things for weeks or months at a time before releasing them, so I have not heard this yet.

Did the letter mention anything about shortening the WT study? Or is it still an hour? I.e., will the Sunday meeting last 1 hour 45 minutes, or will it shrink down to say 1:30?

I imagine the Society will be sending out revised outlines for all 160+ talk outlines, pared down and with revised timing of sections.

I can hear the grumbling from the elders already...some have been giving the same talk from the same outline for 20 or more years. Their stats always refer to items from the 70's or 80's, as it there were nothing more current. Now they will be forced to revise every last one of the outlines they have, at least as far as timing of each section.

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

Well without that, they should just go on and reduce it to a five minute talk. How many times can you read Rev. 21:4 and Prov. 21:11 in one talk?

Yeah, more time for the ministry , good one.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

My guess (based purely on speculation) is that they're doing this to tighten the society's control on what is said in the public talks, i.e., to lessen the amount of "personal opinions" that the public speaker can introduce into the talk.

As an aside, this will probably come in handy in those kingdom halls where several congregations meet on Sunday. It should give the people more time to get out and let the other congregation come in. I knew of some kingdom halls that had to schedule meetings on Saturdays because they had too many congregations meeting there.

• Gopher
    Gopher

In an earlier thread on this subject, the poster stated that the total length of the Sunday meetings is now 1 hour, 45 minutes.

They had to revise their talk outlines once before.

In the old days, the public talk was 55 minutes in length. This was changed at some point to 45 minutes. I can't remember if that happened in the late 70's or in the early 80's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit