Music buffs.Here we go again. List you're all-time favorite Guitarists

by flipper 98 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

How could you all have overlooked Brother George Benson?

Also, Top Jimmy and his Rythm Pigs.

• flipper
    flipper

Thanks all of you for you replies. Bigdreaux , I totally agree with you on David Gilmour. To me he has a very subtle smooth touch for electric guitar as Stevie ray had also. Could let it rip, but be so smooth too. Awesome! Wanted to throw in a couple of other guitar players deserving an honorable mention for our should I dare say new age/ jazz friends. Checked that scene out too. Strunz and Farah a Iraquian and Cuban guitarists were hella quick with their hands, also new age guitarist Ottmar Leibert deserves a little note here, saw him live in Sacramento early 90's very good also. Any more? Keep the comments comin"! Seems like a lot of you like what me and Mrs. Flipper like! Cool. Let's all get together for one big jam session! My 22 year old son plays guitar. I don't, but have been told I can carry a tune! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

Man, there are some other players here, anyone else in working bands??? As for my gear setup, I'm a traditionalist, I like my 335 plugged into one of my tweed amps with a reverb tank, then I use a Danelectro tuned to Open D for slide work, and use a trem and a Fulldrive for slide. I also have a Tele, and a LP with P90's and one with PAF style humbuckers.

• rogerdodger
    rogerdodger

I like all that have been mentioned so far but here are some others in no particular order.. Brian Setzer Hank Marvin Dick Dale Johnny Thunders Danny Gatton Eric Johnson Django Reinhardt Johnny Ramone Leslie West Joe Walsh Jeff Beck Keef Richards Nokie Edwards Adrian Legg Henry Garza Robert Randolph Wes Montgomery James Burton Vince Gill Tony Iommi Eddie Van Halen Slash Randy Rhoads Dave Mustaine

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

George Harrison. Jimmy Page.

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

Jonny Greenwood
    Kirk Hammit
    Johnny Cash :)

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Jimmi Hendrix was, technically, by far and away the best of his generation, but without a doubt STEVE VAI is regarded by most professional guitarists of the genre as currently the best of the best. Vai is even more gifted than his former teacher Joe Satriani.

Vai's albums are de rigueur for instrumental rock purists.

• rogerdodger
    rogerdodger

Forgot a couple (sorry for the formatting of my previous post).. John Mayer is an excellent guitarist - especially blues, Mick Ronson (David Bowie's guitarist thru the Ziggy Stardust era)

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Stanley Clarke

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

yadda,

but without a doubt STEVE VAI is regarded by most professional guitarists of the genre as currently the best of the best.

I would be interested to see some evidence for this statement. I think that he would doubt this himself. His own musical barometer was set by Zappa and Holdsworth, two guitarists who's heights he has arguably yet to reach.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit