Depressed witness going door to door

by I quit! 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Missanna
    Missanna

that's so sad. i remember when i would go to my grandparents house (who aren't jw's thank "whoever") they would always ask my mom why we looked so sad and never talked. i believe its a form of child abuse also. It's so sad

• Arthur
    Arthur
    This poor kid was stooped over with his head hanging low. His book bag was almost dragging on the ground. I’ve seen kids going to the dentist who looked more cheerful than him.

In a few years, he'll probably be coming onto this forum. Sometimes I wonder just how many people are in the organization right now who know something is deeply wrong, but haven't gotten to the point where they are ready to start asking the tough questions. The more the borg keeps beating the drum of "avoiding independent thinking", "avoiding the seeds of doubt", and "avoiding the internet", the more it is going to subconsciously tell people to do just that. It's like a husband telling his wife over and over again to never look in the garage. Yeah, that'll keep her out.

• sparrow
    sparrow

God I know that feeling. I remember calling on school friends and trying to hide behind my father. I never heard the end of it at school. I was glad when I found a friend that was a couple years older than I and they let us go door to door together.

We used to either knock really softly or if someone did come to the door say - "You don't want this do you?"

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

The worst feeling in the world, being a child/teen forced to go door to door on a nice weekend day.

• Purza
    Purza

I once told my mother that I was forced into this religion. She denied that I was never forced to do anything. Yeah right. Can you imagine a 15 y/o telling your parents you no longer want to go out in service! OMG the elders would be counseling you so fast it would make your head spin. This kid is probably like a lot of JW teens -- they have no choice in the matter. I agree, it is a form of child abuse. Sad.

Purza

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Street witnessing tends to have that effect on people. At least in the door-to-door work you have a glimmer of hope that you won't have to actually speak to someone.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I love those who are innocents trapped in the cult.

As for the cult? Die cult, die!

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

that's me right there, except the being 15 part.

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

Very good points, I quit. At all the meetings, and especially the conventions, we always see a family interviewed who just LOVE field service. But they are "being paid". They are not typical. I have a degree in Psychology. Of course the kid is depressed. Teens are very sensitive to peer pressure. They don't want to be going door to door. Maybe 60 years ago, some kids found it fun, but I doubt it. But now after all the lies and false predictions, who wants to be associated with this demented cult? I'd be ashamed to have my name associated with the WT. It's the same as being known as the neighborhood Nazi, KKK member, or pedophile.

It most definitely qualifies as child abuse. Unfortunately, it will take decades of lawsuits before this goes to the Supreme Court with enough psychologists getting involved to make the WT extinct. Jesus was baptized at 30 years of age. Why does the WT brag about 9 year olds being baptized? How can a kid who doesn't even know about puberty yet make a decision that if he changes his mind, will cost him his family? How many have ended up in mental hospitals or have committed suicide? I'd sue every JW parent and the WT if I thought I could win. I do know that if I hear of one more suicide that someone in Bethel is going to pay.

My child was raped at the age of nine by a pedophile known to the local elders. They knew he was doing work in my house yet didn't warn me. Since we are always being encouraged to believe the Bible (which I don't) I think I'll use the "eye for an eye" or maybe the Mosaic Law where sexual perverts were killed.

If the kid wants to be a JW when he turns 18, fine. It's his life to throw away. But parents don't have the right to inflict this abuse on helpless children. If the kid argues, he's beat by the father "with the rod". I used to see this all the time at the conventions when I worked security. I know now, since I've been out for years, that if I ever see ANY child hit with a stick, I'm taking the father out. I've seen infants and toddlers SLAPPED ACROSS THE FACE in 100 degree heat because they wouldn't sit still. I knew of babies dying in the sun because their parents were too stupid to sit in the shade. "It's Jehovah's will that we be here for this spiritual food." The only food they deserve is bread and water, served 3 times daily in prison.

Another aspect of abuse is teaching children to hate the world and to be intolerant. They actually gloat over the fact that 6 billion people will die at Armageddon just because they weren't stupid enough to become JW's. What the hell kind of love is that? Does anyone here want to live for eternity on a planet with only these lunatics? I'd rather be dead.

Welcome, sweetface, you remind me of my 22 year old daughter who now won't talk to me because I'm being shunned for writing a book exposing these psychologically sick people. I guess you didn't experience much of that "Christian joy" from sharing your "hope" with the neighbors, did you? I bet you also prayed that the doorbells didn't work or no one was home, right?

Missanna, you might be a classic example of clinical depression. Normal children usually are happy, energetic, and friendly. If we look at JW children, we see so many problems that they could be in therapy for life. (And sometimes they are, IF they don't kill themselves first.)

Arthur, I'm sure that 80% of the rank and file want out, but don't know how. They don't want to lose their families. I lost mine. But it's the price you pay to keep your integrity. My wife defended the elders who didn't warn us, saying that Jehovah will take care of them in his due time. I have no respect for anyone ignorant enough to follow that thinking. The WT attacks other churches the second the news breaks, but when THEY have the pedophiles, then we are supposed to wait for God. Why the difference?

Arthur, you made some good points. "Hey kids, DO NOT look out the front window." Where do you think they will all go? The Internet is the greatest blessing I know. (I'm also a Microsoft Systems Engineer and LOVE the 'Net.) The Internet lets us learn about the old books, the lies, and it gives us and the world the "real truth". That's why the WT demonizes it so much. They know it will bring them down someday. Unless they've changed, their site doesn't have a provision for sending them email. Can you imagine how much they'd receive each day?

The Bible doesn't speak much of Jesus doing anything spiritual until he was 30 years old. I wish the WT would actually open the Bible some day (a real one, not theirs) and see that there isn't much support for dragging kids out in service in the NT. Or maybe I missed something. Did Paul bring groups of kids with him on his travels? I'm sure the parents would have loved it if their kids had been on that shipwreck. Wow, what a story that would make for the next summer's convention.

To all those young ones out there (and anyone else who feels the same): You have my deepest sympathy for what is being done to you.

• Chad M
    Chad M

Greetings. I'm new here and this is my first post. I had to start going door to door when I was about 10. What a drag.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit