Depressed witness going door to door

by I quit! 52 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

This morning I saw a witness mother and her son heading out into service. From the area they were in I think they were going to be doing some street corner work. I was stopped at a light when they walked in front of my car. The boy was tall, thin and looked about 15 or so. I know I’ve mentioned this before but it never ceases to amaze me how depressed most of these kids I see look. This poor kid was stooped over with his head hanging low. His book bag was almost dragging on the ground. I’ve seen kids going to the dentist who looked more cheerful than him. I wish JW parents could see the harm they are doing forcing their children to embarrass themselves in this manor. I think it is a form of child abuse. If the child believes in the religion and wants to go out that is one thing but I think it should be done on a voluntary bases with no pressure from their parents or the religion. You can’t force a child or anyone else for that matter to believe something they don’t believe in and it is even worse to force them to go out and publicly proclaim what they don’t believe in.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Depression, denial, sacrafice. Having one foot in yesterday the other in tomorrow, pissing all over today. Thats religion. At least the JW brand.

• compound complex
    compound complex

That is really sad, I quit. I know of many that are/were in the lad's shoes. Some time ago I posted to one of Juni's threads about a client whose g'pa talked to a doubtful and troubled JW at his door years ago. He listened to her pour her heart out and witnessed to her. She ended up going to his church!

My outlook on life changed 180 degrees when I realized I could be a happy and productive Christian without the coercive malarky enjoined upon me by the WT. I hope that young people such as the one you spotted find their freedom though still under their parent's jurisdiction. I was one of those well-meaning parents.

May God and my children forgive me.

Thanx for the account, I quit.

CoCo

• changeling
    changeling

I couldn't agree more!

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I remember feeling that way. I was always scared I would knock on the door of a classmate. It was terrible!

• Anony-Mouse
    Anony-Mouse

If I had gone out in service, that could have been me!

I know how that guy feels, every week.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Thanks for sharing, I Quit!

• karnage
    karnage

Wow, I remember the feelings that I had when I "had" to go out in field service. I was on the track team, football team, had a well known (worldly) girlfriend, and was well known in high school. I was always afraid that we were going to be working in an area where someone who would have known of my "second life" and shared this with whomever I was with at the door. Besides being busted, I just didn't want to spend two hours in a vehicle with "super witnesses" and go from door-to-door knocking in other people's door who couldn't care less about what I had to say about religion.

• penny2
    penny2
    I know how that guy feels, every week.

Wow, Anony-Mouse! Does that mean you are still participating in FS? No-one can force you. The sooner you say "no more" the better. It's hard to tell your family that you're not going to do it anymore, but they'll get over it. Your greatest friend is the word "NO". It's as easy as that. They can't drag you out.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

That is very sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit