BETHELITES - Whatever Became of?

by Black Man 296 Replies latest jw friends

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Hey Billy ex-b

I finally know someone you mentioned. I knew Laurie DeCarlo who played Tara's mom in Young People Ask Video quite well. Same congo. She was Laurie Bowles then. Canadian. Moved to Palm Springs to pioneer where the need was great! Married an American. Lost touch with her after that until I saw her in the video. Is she and her husband still at Bethel?

• Honesty
    Honesty
    There was another brother whose name escapes me at the moment, who was an artist prodigy. He had real talent in that area and could have been a successful commercial/graphic artist in the real world, but they stuck him in the cleaning department until he just got discouraged and left after so long......... Black man

Mark Sedoma? From New Jersey

Did anyone know Bill Hutter from the 60's?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

What happened to the green frog? Does anyone know his beef with nhk?

• BIG D
    BIG D

Does anyone know chris tullos, or steve conner, and denise conner?

big d

• RR
    RR

Hmmm ... the only ones I can think of off the top of my head were

1. Robert (Bob) Jones

2. John Cavahlo

3. Reggie White

4. Mark Whalen

5. Ralph Jackson

6, Lee Farber

• uninformed
    uninformed

ROBERT JONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that's a story. I knew Bob after he left Bethel. He went to San Antonio, became real sick, seems that he went blind or something??? Can't quite remember.

Anyway, to dishoner the memory of all the good and wonderful things that I am sure he did, or thought he did, I have the following short experience-----------------

In about 94 or so, maybe a little earlier, Bob came out of bethel to San Antone... Our P.O. had been giving truck drivers blow jobs at the rest stop on highway 10, so I asked Bob to move over to our cong. I was acting PO, but told Bob he could be PO if he wanted, we just needed help. He declined.

Anyway, shortly thereafter, he was on the Circuit Assembly giving a talk and he said the following from the platform: (this is all true)

Before I got married, I was going to leave Bethel and go back to may home cong. Well, my overseer (big shot in Service Dept) called me in to his office and asked me,

"Bob, do you like this office?"

Well, I replied that I did.

Then he said, "Bob, if you go home now, you won't have an office like this one ever, even in the 'New System'. Just think, Bob, when armageddon is over and the new order is going, you could be at a desk like this one directing Jehovah's Work, instead of being told by others what to do!!!"

By the way, he stayed on at Bethel, got married and brought his wife to Bethel. Only later, in the 90's did he leave because of health problems, I think. WT threw him away too.

Before that day, and before that talk, I liked Robet Jones. I basically hated his guts, but not personally, after that. What a bunch of ego driven assholes. Him included.

May I please die today if this is not a true story.

Brant Jones

• horrible life
    horrible life

Attention 50+ year old Ex-Bethelites

About 1976, give or take a year, I went on a Bethel Tour, with several witnesses from Tu!sa. 2 women from my cong, and their nerdy daughters. My friend and myself.

My friend and I were so cheap, that we missed out on alot of sightseeing, like the Statue of Liberty, because we wouldn't spend the little bit of money we had. One evening, instead of going out to eat, we ordered pizza, to our hotel room. Seems like the hotel had the name of Three or Green in the name. ??????

After we ate our pizza, I am not sure how it transpired, but... my friend was always a man magnet, Bethel boys were in our room. I think I remember about 6 of them. We just sat on the beds and talked, and laughed. My friend and I on one bed, and the boys around the room, and on the other bed. We told some jokes, the worst one, was something about Noah.

Well, one of the nerdy girls, knocked on the door, we let her in, she stayed for a couple of minutes, and left. We didn't think anything about it. OMG All HELL broke loose, within 5 minutes. 1 of the women from my cong, (She was my prom chaperon, from the prom thread a couple of months ago), came up, with the elder organizer, and told the boys they had to leave. My friend and I then got a lecture, about how bad we were, and the Bethel Boys would get into big trouble also.

When we got back home, there was an elders meeting, with friend and I, and our parents. OMG We did nothing wrong!!!! The elders tried so hard to get something out of us, that wasn't true. I remember them asking the same questions over and over. I always wondered what happened to the boys.

I figure they were called on the carpet also. Could you be kicked out for something like that??

Anyway, does anybody remember us?? LOL OR Were you in our room???

• RR
    RR

The Bob Jones I knew was black, he was sent to my congregation in the Bronx to clean it up. I just got there and didn't know any better, but sisters were giving talks, the place was a mess, nepotism galore. Bob came in like the calvary and disfellowshipped the whole body of elders and servants and we started from scratch. He had a brother name Chris. Always wondered what happened to him.

RR

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

I report with sadness the passing of Mike Smilnak. I'm sure he had no use for me after I left the organization, but I remember him with respect for his example of devotion and hard work at Brooklyn Bethel. Mike worked in the Composing and Linotype Department. Some fellow workers were Russell Armacost, Walter Bennett, Fred Bright, Cal Chyke, Tom Combs, George Johnson, Charlie Fekel, Doug Gielenfeldt, Gene Glazebrook, George Hannan, Karl Kramer, Warren Manns, Bill McInnis, Harry Peloyan, Keith Perkins, Bill Peterson, and Natheer Salih.

Frank

From The News-Herald of Willoughby, Ohio:

January 6, 2008 Obituary

Michael Smilnak

Memorial services for Michael Smilnak, 81, of Mentor-on-the-Lake, will be 1:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 12, 2008, at the Grand River Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, 340 River St., Grand River, OH 44045.

Mr. Smilnak died Thursday, Jan. 3, 2008, at LakeWest Hospital in Willoughby.

He was born July 18, 1926, in Cresson, Pa.

Mr. Smilnak was an elder for the Grand River congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses and a full-time servant of Jehovah for 50 years. He served at the Brooklyn, N.Y. headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses for 27 years.

Survivors are his sisters, Helen Durrell of Parma, Dorothy Drochton of Chester Township and Betty Swenk of Lancaster, Calif.; and other family members.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Michael and Helen.

Arrangements are entrusted to Brunner Funeral Home and Cremation Service in Mentor.

• new boy
    new boy

Speaking of line-o-type does any remember Houston Roberts my first table head in 1970? married judy whats-her- butt?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit