Are ex-JW still gullible or serpent-like?

by BEROEAN 141 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

BEROEAN...in this thread you portray yourself as Mr. Live and Let Live, Mr. Why is Everyone so Uptight....

Do you recognize these comments by a poster named BEROEAN?

So am I getting this right that most of you just want to do whatever YOU want to do and make up your personal rules as you go along?

And if so, at what point do you tell another person what to do?......Say, your neighbor likes having sex with animals....do you intervene? What if your neighbor loved veal and kept baby calves in his basement? The blood-curdling cries at night sending shivers up your spine. What if you found out your neighbor and his "son" were members of NAMBLA? Would you report them?

Do those sound like the thoughts of Mr. Live and Let Live, Mr. Why is Everyone so Uptight?

Maybe you should take the time to hire a good therapist who can assist you with figuring out your own issues.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I've heard blowhards like you before, boasting about telling a cop off, for instance, or telling off your boss. I don't believe you are getting away with much, or that you will for long. You can tell whatever story you want online, no one can check on you, but that doesn't mean everyone on the internet is that easy to fool.

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

Maybe because my background does not allow for me to "blindly follow" anyone. I've questioned CO's during Elders/Servants meetings on things they've said. No backlash or retribution yet. Living so close to Chicago, the friends go to jazz clubs, sporting events, and neighborhood festivals.

BEROEAN...I grew up in the Chicagoland area. There are two types of guys in Chicago. The ones who are tough and the ones who wish they were tough. You are the classic wannabe. I used to chew up and spit out guys like you for breakfast. Because you are a wannabe, you go for what you feel is the easiest target. Then you can feel better about yourself. If you want to compare yourself to someone, maybe you should start with Steve Erkel.

• Gopher
    Gopher

So we ex-JW's can only be categorized into two categories (foolish or cunning), and we must choose the lesser of two evils?

This poster is behaving like a troll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

In Internetterminology,a troll is someone who intentionally posts derogatory or otherwise inflammatory messages about sensitive topics in an established online community such as an online discussion forum to bait users into responding.

http://www.jfo.org.uk/info/new/troll.htm

What is a troll?
    The term "troll" can mean a number of different things, but in essence, a troll is a person who aims to have 'pleasure' at your expense. There are two main types of trolls:

people who are psychologically disturbed, and seek to feel good by making other list members feel bad. This is a sort of "psycho troll", whose deception involves deceiving themselves as well as others. In this respect, they are no different to the sorts of people we meet in everyday life who are disturbed - some of them are easy to spot, and others aren't. Such people may even use their real names on the internet, and they may not even realise that they are "trolling" because it is all subconscious.

people who pretend to be someone that they are not - they create personae that you think are real, but they know is fictitious.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Are ex-JW still gullible or serpent-like?

We only get the two choices?

• eclipse
    eclipse

BEROEAN,

Cut the bullshit, you are not fooling anyone with your holier than thou sh*t, except maybe yourself.

Do yourself and everyone else here a favour, LOOK IN THE MIRROR when you point that finger.

Your other posts have been derogatory, and have absolutley no upbuilding measure in them whatsoever.

You have had nothing nice or kind to say yet.

When you do have substance, humour, witt, kindness, warmth or good advice to add to this forum, please post it.

If you are going to behave like a troll, you will be treated like one. You, the person, are welcome, trolls are not.

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

I think my experience of leaving JWs has made me less susceptible to coercion and less fearful of the unknown. But I'd say I'm still gullible in some ways. I tend to get scammed easily - it's just not in my nature to steal and take advantage of people, so I get caught by surprise when someone does it to me. But I choose to see that as their personality flaw and not mine.

• BEROEAN
    BEROEAN

Flip Mode,

I'm not living a double life. What you see is what you get. I'm the only member of my entire family that is a JW. I studied in my 20's and was baptized years later. I recall bringing "apostate" literature to my study and having many discussions with my study conductor. I guess I saw the Jdubs from the outside looking in when I grew up. At Church, the Pastor would rant and rave about how we should not talk to JW's! "They are from the Devil! They have their own Bible! They don't believe in God!" blah, blah, blah. Which, of course, made a non-conformist such as myself more curious about this "strange demonic sect". Whenever they would knock on our door, my siblings would hide and my mom would yell at us to get away from the window. My dad didn't really care about religion although he believed in God. Once I hit middle school, I would open the door whenever Jdubs knocked. I'd ask them questions concerning what my Pastor would tell me. Which led to phone calls from other relatives (mostly my Bible thumping Aunt) warning me JW's brainwashing techniques and how I would fall prey to their wiles.

I did it more to get a rise out of my controlling Aunt and other "sanctified" church members more than anything else. However, the sincerity of the JW's impressed me. After years of girls, drugs, college, clubbing, traveling, gambling, and "other things" life became more than simple pleasures. I started reading up on different religions, even took a course at a local community college.

I didn't start studying instantly. Looking back, I was a "rainy day" RV. I'd invite JW's in and have one hour conversations with them. One day someone offered a free home Bible study and I accepted the offer. I studied for about 5 years. Live Forever, United in Worship, Creation and Evolution, and lastly Mankind's Search for God. Talk about a conductor having patience! During that time I would blow off my BSC, leave Playboys on the table, friends crashed out on my couch, naked girls in my bed, and "other things".

As the study became more "enlightening" I took it seriously. I started appreciating who Jehovah is, His qualities, attributes, and His love. I culitivated a personal relationship with Him first and found like-minded individuals in the Org. I didn't find such individuals in other religions, at work, in the mall, at school, at the gym, or in my neighborhood. I still keep my eyes open, wondering if there are others that can say they have a genuine love for people. Sure, certain famous individuals stick out: Ghandi, Mother Theresa, Jimmy Carter, Martin Luther King, ect., but not a collective group.

*****Going off on a tangent***** Why isn't there a religious group called the Ghandites or Theresarians? Or even the Elvis Presleyians? I guess this shows how hard it is to reach diety status.******Rambling*****

Hey....Maybe because i'm a proselyte, I get special treatment! I do know that if I had been "raised" in the truth and my parents were hypocrites like most of yours, I would have left the Org. also. My family, (wife and kids) are all baptized. We've had District parts, Assembly parts, Pioneer, and are Overseers. But my family isn't unique. There's groups of Jdubs that ride motorcycles on the weekends, golf outings, cruises, vacations, and charter fishing among "other things". Perhaps the proselytes have taught the Levites how to be "balanced" LOL!

• BEROEAN
    BEROEAN

Who are you,

• BEROEAN
    BEROEAN

Who are you,

Way to take a post out of context. That post was in response to others talking about how they left because of "all of the strict rules" imposed on them. Strict rules like, "I wasn't allowed to have sex in high school." or "My parents didn't let me go Trick or Treating". So, my question was. At what point do they enforce their rules on others. because they wanted a life devoid of restrictions. Nice try though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit