CIGAR AFICIONADOS?

by nvrgnbk 88 Replies latest jw friends

• Frank75
    Frank75
    Tell me about it! I got as buzzed off half an Ashton ESG as I would off a six-pack of good beer! Good stuff!

Hey bro, when we talked about the Ashton ESG I was mistaken as I haven't had the pleasure yet.

What I smoked was the Ashton VSG which I bought two of to share during the winter and ended up smoking them both with some Porto!

alt

Rated 93 by CO it is one of those must haves we were talking about.

Frank75

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Yes Frank75! The ESG, Estate Sun Grown, is rated 92 by CO. I have never had the pleasure of the VSG.

We will have to remedy this situation!

Just paired an Ashton Maduro with, get this craziness, a Blue Moon Honey Moon Summer Ale. The Blue Moon is brewed in Toronto! Actually a subsidiary of Coors.

Nvr

• Odrade
    Odrade

It's Saturday night, did you have your smoke? :) I did, had one of my A.F. Exquisitos, but the last 1/2 was kind of rough. Next time I buy a box of shorties, I'll get the Cohiba pequenos, which I usually only have at McMenamins, cause they're so damn expensive (to me). ;)

• Frank75
    Frank75

Just paired an Ashton Maduro with, get this craziness, a Blue Moon Honey Moon Summer Ale. The Blue Moon is brewed in Toronto! Actually a subsidiary of Coors.

Nvr

Not as crazy as you might think! (Blue Moon Honey may be made here so Coors can take jobs away from Americans but I can't seem to find it)

One of the great ways to enjoy a strong dish of food, a good black coffee, espresso or the venerable Maduro is to sweep the palate with something light to contrast it. It is why the Oreo goes well with milk, apple with cheddar and Black Coffee fresh brewed with vanilla ice cream!

Summer beer and a Maduro or Cafe leaf are an excellent pair.

Frank75

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Summer beer and a Maduro or Cafe leaf are an excellent pair.

I thought so as well Frank 75!

As for not finding the Honey Moon Summer Ale, it's a special release. It may be difficult to find.

Peace to you and yours bro!

• done4good
    done4good

Give Nat Sherman's a try. Lots of smoke, good punch, and yes, six pack of beer buzz...My new weekend smoke.

j

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Will check that out d4g! Thanks!

• Frank75
    Frank75

Give Nat Sherman's a try. Lots of smoke, good punch, and yes, six pack of beer buzz...My new weekend smoke.

j

D4G:

You are a smoker for sure! I like the less smoke the better. Cubans and then Dominican are best known for that.

Some of the American and European Cigars and Cigarillos are machine made like cigarettes for the enjoyment of a serious smoker.

Nat Sherman's of course have a long high society reputation in the NYC and claim some movie and book creds! At one time their Cigars even used Cuban Tobacco!

Enjoy!

Frank75

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

The Stogie Guys

Stogie Reviews: Coronado by La Flor Double Corona

Monday, April 16th, 2007

coronado_by_la_flor.jpgI was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that Georgetown Tobacco had the Coronado by la Flor Domicana in stock. This notoriously rare smoke has been getting rave reviews – topped off by a number two ranking on Cigar Aficionado’s “Best Cigars of the Year” list for 2006.

And while I admit to being a bit skeptical about CA’s ratings, particularly when it comes to the difference between a 90 and a 93 (this double corona received a 93), I had heard enough about the cigar to know that La Flor Dominicana maker Litto Gomez came up with a hit with this blend.

So when I first saw them at the shop I picked up two, and after one I went back for a handful more before their stock sold out. I’ve tried the seven inch by 54 ring gauge double toro (and passed on the jaw-hurting seven inch by 60 corona gordas), but this review is of the seven inch by 50 double corona, which is my favorite of the vitolas.

The Nicaraguan wrapper of the Coronado was an oily sun grown leaf with a few veins and a lovely oily sheen. The cigar was adorned with a complex gold and purple band that looked like a crown.

After cutting, I found licorice flavors when I tasted the cigar before lighting it. Once lit I was greeted with toffee, warm tobacco, and very subtle paprika flavors. The cigar produced an abundant amount of dense, rich smoke and the draw was perfectly easy. All five I’ve had have burned evenly all the way to the band.

As the cigar progressed, I found a complex medium to full-bodied blend that featured coffee, earth, toffee, and a little leather.

The Coronado by La Flor took nearly two hours to smoke, but a word to the wise: Don’t rush this cigar! At seven inches long, it might be tempting to try to sneak three or four puffs a minute, but if you do so you will find that the complex flavors quickly turn a bit acidic. However, when I deliberately slowed to one puff per minute, the perfectly balanced medley of flavors was really able to shine.

Available at around $8 a cigar, the Coronado by La Flor is a tobacco treat that would stand out when pitted against stogies that cost twice as much. For its solid construction, reasonable price, and abundance of flavor, this cigar earns a rare five out of five stogies.

[To read more StogieGuys.com cigar reviews, please click here.]

-Patrick S

Just enjoyed one of these. Fantastico!

• Frank75
    Frank75

Great review you posted there NVR. That guy exposes a great smoke (never had one but I like what I see and am heading out tomorrow to the store to see if i can get a couple for the weekend).

He also gives some good advice in order to properly smoke and enjoy a cigar. Don't rush. If you do on any quality Cigar the result is mung mouth and a loss of enjoyment. So any contemplating taking up a stogy should heed the advice.

I on the other hand went for a walk with my 12 month old boy and I smoked one of these 7th on the list you linked to:

Funny looking but a great smoke, well worth the $

Cheers

Frank75

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit