CIGAR AFICIONADOS?

by nvrgnbk 88 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Amnesty Vendor commented and asked as follows:
    I would like to understand the science behind cigars and scotch/cognac. Me too!
    Why do these usually pair well together? I don't know!

From a practical standpoint, do they really complement each other ? Yes!
  • done4good
    done4good

Working from home this week...Picked up the goodies yesterday. Humidor, lighters, cutter, and an assortment of stogies. Gonna light up a Mac now, in fact.

j

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Working from home this week...Picked up the goodies yesterday. Humidor, lighters, cutter, and an assortment of stogies. Gonna light up a Mac now, in fact.

j

Enjoy d4g! I think I'll join you!

• Frank75
    Frank75
    Elderwho - I guess the ellder will weigh in here, Maconudo's during the week, an Ashton or Cohiba on the weekend.

Thanks for weighing in bro!

That is a well ordered week if you ask me.

My insurance policy says I can have one stogie a month. So that is all I can have. aheemm! cough! ;>D

What is your preference in a smoke, the lighter or darker leaf? Any preference towards size or presentation?

I prefer a Maduro wrapper and filled Petit Corona, Corona, Robusto or La Aurora Preferido's.

Frank75

• Frank75
    Frank75

D4G:

You work fast bro! No time like now to start. Remember to draw the smoke into your mouth and rear throat and try not to breath it in like cigarette. That stuff can kill ya!

The key to enjoying a fine cigar is to first take the time needed to slowly enjoy it (40 -90 minutes depending on the cigar), savouring the rich aromas along the way, and most of all relaxing and enjoying the moment. It is one of those times of meditation where time should really stand still. To the American Indians smoking was a time to commune with those closest to them as well as the great spirit!

Here are some cutting and lighting suggestions. Some insist on a match, however with most of us smoking outside, a match can be frustrating in even a little bit of wind. I use a good torch lighter. http://www.topcubans.com/habanos-attitude/cutting-and-lighting.php

The 4 areas of Cigar enjoyment are in the Hand, the Mouth, the Nose and the Eyes with the 5th dimension being in the emotions that those senses evoke. Many officiandos write down those things in a log book.

Alone or in a social setting with others who can appreciate the experience or just the aroma, there should always be a nice Single Malt or other aged libation such as bourbon, whiskey or Cognac. I even like a good aged Porto on occasion.

You can always go commando as well!

After you have got accustomed to the process especially with finer cigars like a Mac, draw into the mouth and allow some to enter the sinus for additional flavorings. Don't go too hog wild, or you'll be sick no matter how careful you are.

Remember too, that your enjoyment is totally subjective to your personal tastes and experience so don't be surprised if you enjoy something different than the pack, or find your own way to cut, light and enjoy one.

Disfrutalo! Cheers!

Frank75

• Frank75
    Frank75

Gwyneth - OK, I just fished a couple of wrappers out of my boss's ashtray (ugh!), and they say "Don Thomas Maduro" and "Don Thomas Clasico." I'd like to get him cigars for Christmas, but something nicer than these. (And maybe start saving up for it now, or see if other employees will go in on it with me.) Based on his taste, what would you recommend?

Don Tomas is a Honduran cigar. Nice cigar but any "maduro" can be a little on the stinky side, especially spent ash. He probably prefers this brand as it's a quality offering with a low price. A man like that would appreciate any quality cigar especially if it is more expensive than his. That makes it a treat.

Rocky Patel is a good suggestion from NVR. RP's come in vintages 1990 and 1992 that make nice gifts. There is a small sampler gift pack that is sure to please.

alt

If you want to really score, buy a couple different La Aurora's they make a fine Maduro, and real knock out would be their "100 Anos" aniversary cigar. They are Dominican Preferido style and the little casings make an attractive present. (make sure you buy the ones in the case as shown) They have sampler packs that make a nice gift. Beware they can be expensive too!

alt

If you want to buy a box of 25 and give the ultimate gift to a cigar lover, then you cannot fail with Ashton's offerings. I like the Maduro #20.

If you wish to avoid the strong Maduro smell from your boss' present Don Tomas, then opt for the milder (usually lighter tanned) cigar wrappers and fillers from some of the above mentioned hand made cigars. D4G made a great choice in Macanudo, they have nice mild cigars and even some sampler packs at decent prices.

There are some real nice Cuban suggestions I could make but that would just be cruel!

Since you live in Florida you have access to some of the best cigars in America along with the knowledge base there that is supplying the large Cuban community. I am sure you can find a tobacanist who can steer you in the right direction.

Frank75

• gwyneth
    gwyneth

Wow, thanks so much for the suggestions! I have some research to do!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Aint that Frank 75 guy somethin' else?

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Frank75 said "There are some real nice Cuban suggestions I could make but that would just be cruel!"

I live across the river from Canada, where you can get cubans. Which ones would you suggest for openers.

• Frank75
    Frank75

I live across the river from Canada, where you can get cubans. Which ones would you suggest for openers.

I had a real nice post that got lost somehow. Oh well, time well wasted!

I called you a Sith and a Rebel for defying the embargo on Cuban goods.....good for you. Stupid draconian measures anyway!

Yesterday after I ate a glorious lunch at my friends Churrasqueria of grilled beef Fillets slathered in homemade Piri Piri sauce, Portuguese roasted potatoes, salad, and a glass of Casa de Saima Reserva 1997, we then retired to the patio to enjoy the Sun, a double glass of 18 YO Glenfiddich, fresh tal espresso, and a Guantanamera which is a mild but well made Cuban Habano!

Normally I would not drink Espresso with a Maduro, but it is quite a compliment to the milder cigars.

Here is what is said about the Smoke:

Guantanamera's are very mild Cuban cigars originating from the Vuelta Arriba region. This is the ultimate Cuban cigar for a beginner or for any cigar smoker who likes a very mild and light bodied cigar.

There are lots of good Cuban cigars that are a must have before you die.

Some I have had and keep in my Humidor are Partagas, Romeo y Julietta, Bolivar, Hoyo de Monterey, Fonseca, Quintero, Montecristo and of course the REAL Cohiba.

One of those "must haves" is the Trinidad! Here is why:

Since 1980, the Trinidad Fundadores has been produced exclusively for Fidel Castro. The only boxes that left Cuba were gifts to foreign diplomats. On February of 1998, the brand was officially launched as an export in Cuba. The cigars were first made available in Canada in April 1998. This Cuban cigar brand features one the Fundadore, which means Founder. It is similar in size to the Cohiba Lancero. Named after one of Cuba's most beautiful cities, the Trinidad is produced only in the El Laguito factory, and packaged in an 'unusual' quantity of 24.

Now you can bet that a man like George W. Bush, Arnold and even Condoleezza Rice have puffed on one of those Cigars, even ones made before they were released publicly. I'll even bet you $1000 in Hard Currency! LOL

If you can find em, enjoy it!

Frank75

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit