Isn't God Awesome?

by Perry 450 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• trevor
    trevor
    If you presuppose that the universe may have some form of consciousness then what would differentiate it from all the answers above that label it "God"?

This is sensible and interesting question by little Toe.

If we are prepared to allow for this possibility, we have to ask whether universal consciousness is the same as believing in God. Even as humans we recognise the different function of unconscious mind and conscious mind. Is the only consciousness in the universe that which humans and animal experience? Is our collective consciousness the same as the consciousness that the universe may be driven by?

An unconscious intelligence that manifests in the adaptation and evolution of living things is not the same as a God that gives direct commands and warns of Judgment Day. A God that requires worship is a huge step beyond accepting an unconscious intelligence pervading the universe and therefore all living things.

The Atheist versus Believer debate is like arguing about whether heads or tails is the right side of a coin. The existence of the coin that we hold in our hand is a reality, the rest is rhetoric and changes nothing.

I do not have the answers. What I do know is that the more words we use in our search for truth, the more we are prone to get lost in the word games that our conscious minds play and the more we become entrenched in a belief system that we feel a need to defend.

trev

• AlanF
    AlanF

It appears that my goading got Vinny to at least try to answer my question. Good job, Vinny!

Unfortunately, Vinny, you're among the more obnoxiously arrogant Fundies who've shown up on this board. "Trouncing" and "spanking"? LOL!

Cutting through the foam around Vinny's mouth, let's get to the crumbs of food:

: Alan F says:...."All the massive bullshit aside from these apologist guys, neither Perry nor Vinny can answer the simple but basic question (which I've posted before for many years) of: where did the Christian God get his morals? In the face of such complete lack of response from Perry, Vinny and the rest of the Fundy community, an intelligent but skeptical person has but one choice: these fundamentalists have no answers to extremely pertinent questions, and they know it, and that's why they don't answer. Conclusion? Christian Fundamentalists of the Evangelical variety are no different in principle from the admittedly braindead and cult-minded Jehovah's Witnesses.

: . . . Can you show me where you posed this question to ME? . . .

I didn't say you did. I said that you can't answer the question, not that you didn't try. I did, however, pose a similar question to Perry, along with other relevant challenges.

: Where did God get His Morals? Simple, He didn't get them from anybody or any place; HE'S ALWAYS HAD THEM. Nothing difficult about that at all.

I see. So God has always had the same set of morals, and these have not changed.

An answer to a question I did not pose, but relevant to the overall problem at hand:

: Who made God? Simple, nobody and no thing made God; HE'S ALWAYS EXISTED.

Let's keep this in mind for later.

: Nothing difficult about that at all.

LOL! Not when you apply it to your particular god.

: The Supreme Being ALWAYS existed, was ALWAYS the superlative example in Love, Justice, Wisdom and Power, which make up His very Being. Morality, "the principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior" became an issue only after He Created the angelic forces and human beings with free will, with the mental capacity to recognize these differences as well as by giving them a conscience. The basic MORAL PRINCIPLES however, just like love, justice, wisdom and power have ALWAYS been always been part of the Grand Creator's very Being.

: He did not "get it" from anywhere or anyone. It has always been a part of Who He is.

Having established the unchangeableness of God's morals, Vinny quickly contradicts himself.

: Being the Intelligent Designer, responsible for the creation of the Universe, the Earth and all life thereon, he is also the rightful "DECIDER", who has the legal right to determine what is good and bad, what is right and wrong and what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior from HIS Creation. He would be our rightful owner, EARNING the right to decide moral behavior.

Clearly, deciding on what is moral and what is not is quite the opposite from always having the same moral standards. We see in the Bible statements that God does not change, and we see examples of changing moral standards. Which is it, Vinny?

I know, of course, that my statements are going to bring forth a copious flow of foam from your mouth, so I'm going to challenge you with the same question that Perry did not answer.

Perry started a thread some days ago containing an article critiquing "naturalism" ( http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/134161/2389661/post.ashx#2389661 Re: Interesting Critique of Naturalism 11-May-07 22:48 ). I commented:

The interesting thing about the ethics supposedly practiced by Christians is that it is just as arbitrary as the author of the above article argues naturalistically derived ethics is. Arbitrary you say? How can that be?

Christians supposedly get their ethics from God, or more accurately, from the Bible, which they claim is authored by the Christian God in one way or another. But this God can arbitrarily decide that some action is morally good and another is morally bad. Why? Because God is, well, God -- an all powerful, all beneficient, all wise being. Thus, an action can be good one day and bad the next, if God changes his mind. The Bible contains examples of its God doing this.

If this God decides that torturing babies for fun is good, then Christians must necessarily accede that it is good -- even if it is naturaly repugnant to them.

Now, some Christian might argue that God's ethical standards are not arbitrary, but are dictated by what everyone would agree are good ethics and moral standards. But that argument inescapably leads to the conclusion that a set of good ethical/moral standards exists apart from God. Where, then, do such standards come from? From the same sort of naturalism that the author of the above essay is arguing against.

Christians who claim that God's standards are not arbitrary are hard pressed to answer simple questions like, "If God said that torturing babies for fun is good, would you torture babies?"

Let's see how this actually works with our Christian apologist Perry.

Perry, if God said that it's fun to torture babies, and morally right to do so, and it was pleasing to him for you to do it, would you?

Ok, Vinny, I'm hereby posing the same question to you:

Vinny, if God said that it's fun to torture babies, and morally right to do so, and it was pleasing to him for you to do it, would you?

: Now Alan F, no hiding and no running, I have answered your question, please answer MY QUESTIONS now.

: Atheism is The belief that there is NO God at all. Where are YOUR comments then, answering my many issues presented on that subject? My arguments are sure up there, all over many threads. Where are YOURS then?

I'm a busy man and don't have time or the interest to comment on more than tiny fraction of what's posted to this board. Your arguments are common and have already been debunked on a host of other forums.

: 1- Alan F, how does life evolve from lifeless matter? Please tell us.

No one knows. Science is still in its infancy in this regard.

Your attempt at argument falls into the realm of what is called "the argument from personal incredulity". It goes like this: "I can't imagine how this thing can be true. Therefore it isn't." You say, "I can't imagine how life evolved from lifeless matter. Therefore it didn't." I say, "I can't imagine how the Christian God has always existed, Therefore he doesn't." Who is on firmer logical ground?

: 2- Alan F, how does it feel believing that a red corvette simply could arrive all on its own since universe, life and earth (all far more complex) all arrived on their own with no intelligence involved?

I don't know, since I don't believe that red corvettes arrive on their own. But you're comparing apples and oranges here. No one I'm aware of claims that the universe arrived, like your red corvette, in one fell swoop. Rather, the universe evolved in steps over a long period of time.

Now you tell me: how does it feel believing that a God sufficiently complex to design a complex universe arrived on its own?

: 3- Alan F, if its true that all these things just happened on their own, why cannot the same science and technology which sends folks to the moon, create ANY LIFE (even the simplest of living things) from non-living matter today? Or put life back where it ONCE WAS?

What a stupid question. "If they can send men to the moon, why can't they cure the common cold?"

Simple: the technology is not yet advanced enough.

Your question is like some churchman challenging Isaac Newton: "If your 'gravity' and not God holds the moon in place, then how come you can't go to the moon and prove it?"

Duh.

: 4- Alan F, what about the universal fact of life PRINCIPLE that EVERY BEGINNING MUST HAVE A CAUSE CAUSE? What does THAT do for atheism?

That principle is a result of our everyday observations combined with what we call "common sense". But everyday observations do not necessarily apply always and everywhere. The predictions of quantum mechanics are a good example.

It's possible (given our complete lack of knowledge on the subject) that some sort of macro-cosmic universe exists that is infinite in macro-cosmic time and space. In this super-universe, our local 'universe' is an infinitesimal fraction. Given infinite time and space, anything can happen. We just happen to be in one 'universe' where 'we just happened'.

You object to such special pleading? Hypocrite! You pose the same answer when your question is turned upon your God. You engage in special pleading: "God had no beginning!"

The simple fact is that when special pleading is disallowed as a valid form of argumentation, you're on the same ground you establish for atheists when it comes to questions of ultimate origins: you don't actually know anything.

Reference to the Bible does you no good. The Bible is full of false claims. Most of the supposed Messianic prophecies can be shown to be nothing more than misapplications of OT statements by NT writers. I don't think you want to go there.

: 5- Alan F, what does it say to YOU when people such as Einstein, Copernicus, Sir Francis Bacon, Johannes Kepler, Galileo, Descartes, Newton, Boyle, Faraday, Mendel, Kelvin, Max Planck, and thousands of others scientists, philosophers, leaders such as Ghandi, MLK, every single President elected and many other successful people as well as BILLIONS of others believe in a Supreme Intelligent Designer and REJECT ATHEISM OUTRIGHT.

Einstein did not believe in such a designer. He said he believed in "Spinoza's god". I won't try to explain that to you.

As for the rest, some lived in a time and place when it was unthinkable not to be a Christian. Others got religion as children and stuck with it.

So what?

By far the majority of science researchers today put no stock in religion of any kind. Does that somehow cancel out the fact that others do? Of course not. The beliefs of anyone are irrelevant to the questions being discussed here. You're simply too ignorant to know that arguments such as you've posed are old hat, and have been debunked too often to recount.

AlanF

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

LT,

HS:BWAAAAHAHHAAHAHHAHAH has always existed

lol....Just because the Bible says that BWAAAAHAHHAAHAHHAHAH has always existed is not an argument, it is a belief. I have a feeling that even if BWAAAAHAHHAAHAHHAHAH exists, he/she/it would be embarrassed by the erratic, irrational, simplistic arguments hidden behind the mountain of words that Vinny posts.

For the sake of those who cannot be bothered to decipher the nonsense that BWAAAAHAHHAAHAHHAHAH worshipper Vinny keeps regurgitating and presenting as rebuttal to questions that BWAAAAHAHHAAHAHHAHAH has not provided him the answer with, I will simplify them for the readers amusement.

1) No person can prove that something comes from nothing. Simple as that.

2) BWAAAAHAHHAAHAHHAHAH is something, but He did not come from nothing as He always existed. Simple as that.

3) How do we know that BWAAAAHAHHAAHAHHAHAH has always existed?

4) Because BWAAAAHAHHAAHAHHAHAH inspired a bunch of primitive Middle-Eastern sheep-herders, fishermen and farmers to write a book and in that book BWAAAAHAHHAAHAHHAHAH states that he always existed. Simple as that.

5) If you cannot see the simplicity of this argument, then you are all dullards. Simple as that.

6) I win the battle against atheists yet again. With BWAAAAHAHHAAHAHHAHAH help I have been able to ignore any question that I cannot answer or understand. Simple as that.

7) Thank you BWAAAAHAHHAAHAHHAHAH for giving me the strength to face my opposers and win my battles against our enemies again. Simple as that.

HS

• trevor
    trevor

My impression was that LT was introducing a little humour into the debate. Simple as that.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Trevor,

My impression was that LT was introducing a little humour into the debate. Simple as that.

Go back and read the posts between LT and Myself. You have the wrong end of the stick. It was I that introduced the humor and Ross ran with it. Take care - HS

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

1) No person can prove that something comes from nothing. Simple as that.

That would be because it would contradict the laws of the universe

• looseend
    looseend

Vinny,

People have answered your questions. Asking how life came from non life matter is a joke of a question. All matter is living if put the right conditions allow. With the vastness of the universe, it isn't unthinkable that it just happened.

God disobeys all logic, but somehow thats ok.

You find it hard to believe that something came from nothing but it is fine to believe that god came from nothing or somehow never had too.

The fact is, it is impossible to say for a CERTAIN FACT that god exists. You said it best yourself you can't disprove any other god exist "who am i to say they are wrong but i know there is a god". The simple fact that you feel that your religion is right and so do most people.

Evolution is a learning process not a religion. science doesn't claim to know everything, just trying to understand. The fact is we don't know where everything came from or what is going to happen that's the beauty of it. we don't need to know everything.

You say it is impossible for us to be here by luck or something to that effect. It is against all science that there is a mythological battle between good and evil over our souls. You can't talk science when te theory or god can fit in with the same definition of magic.

You responded to my comment about stars blowing up and the sun burning out, only to be make the comment that "I am sure that god can make it happen" or something like that. That goes against science, to make things appear that weren't there before, it must be magic.

It is more logical to think we don't know where the universe came from then to a great magician and we are props in a show.

• looseend
    looseend

Vinny,

People have answered your questions. Asking how life came from non life matter is a joke of a question. All matter is living if put the right conditions allow. With the vastness of the universe, it isn't unthinkable that it just happened.

God disobeys all logic, but somehow thats ok.

You find it hard to believe that something came from nothing but it is fine to believe that god came from nothing or somehow never had too.

The fact is, it is impossible to say for a CERTAIN FACT that god exists. You said it best yourself you can't disprove any other god exist "who am i to say they are wrong but i know there is a god". The simple fact that you feel that your religion is right and so do most people.

Evolution is a learning process not a religion. science doesn't claim to know everything, just trying to understand. The fact is we don't know where everything came from or what is going to happen that's the beauty of it. we don't need to know everything.

You say it is impossible for us to be here by luck or something to that effect. It is against all science that there is a mythological battle between good and evil over our souls. You can't talk science when te theory or god can fit in with the same definition of magic.

You responded to my comment about stars blowing up and the sun burning out, only to be make the comment that "I am sure that god can make it happen" or something like that. That goes against science, to make things appear that weren't there before, it must be magic.

It is more logical to think we don't know where the universe came from then to a great magician and we are props in a show.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Of course, this is the point Vinny gets too 'busy' and runs away...

I've come to like the idea that 'god' is best defined as evolution becoming conscious of itself. Man made god in his own image; the petty, violent gods of the bronze age fitted the times perfectly, the rise of more enlightened philosophies still built upon former belief structures as soceity advanced, and then those same basic moral structures being seen as independent of the former belief structure and secularised leading to modern humanistic thought of today, again reflecting the leading edge of cultural development.

Of course, patterns of belief change with glacial slowness; as they are based upon nothing its hard for them to be displaced by something, as the something is hard put to prove the existence of nothing. Thus we still have bronze-age goat herder beliefs side by side with secular humanism.

What this thread displays well is the hopeless spite of literalistic traditionalists as they try to defend their beliefs using previously refuted hacknyied arguments thy regard as fresh and innovative, and most laughably of all, accurate.

• Vinny
    Vinny

Encore return TO SPANK ABADDON:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit