Your View On BREASTFEEDING In Public

by minimus 143 Replies latest jw friends

• choosing life
    choosing life

Breastfeeding is perfectly natural and beautiful. There are ways to be discreet about it and I think the mother should do what she can to not make others uncomfortable. But a bathroom, no way-too dirty.

I breastfed three children and there are times when you just can't find an isolated place. I am pretty shy, but I learned how to get as far away as I could and use a blanket. There is always the chance, though, that the baby will pop up for a look around and there may be a slight exposure, but you have your blanket. Why would anyone object to that?

Do they want the mother to have to stay home all the time?

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

Breastfeeding in publicIt's completely normal. north american society puts too much emphasis on breasts being sexual....makes people uncomfortable with seeing breasts uncovered it seems...

In other parts of the world, breastfeeding is normal, breasts are normal, skin is normal, no one looks with horror or shock at seeing a nipple.

IMHO, if mom or baby happens to show more skin than what is ''normally'' shown, so be it...it doesnt bother me, it's JUST skin.

There are people who are overly sensitive to seeing skin..but that's their problem, not the breastfeeding mother's. just my 2cents.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    First the lesbians and now this???? Does the madness ever end?

Next topic should:

Your view of lesbians breastfeeding babies in public who grow up to be gay who kiss in public

• NanaR
    NanaR

I breasfed all three of my children. I breasfed them when they were hungry, and in public if necessary. It is really very easy to nurse a baby without attracting attention and be modest while doing it. I have nursed my babies in movie theaters, malls, parks, outdoor concerts, etc.

The only place I wasn't able to nurse my children without feeling harassed was the Kingdom Hall. I had to go to the restroom and nurse my baby standing up -- don't imagine it was a very sanitary place to do it either. But none of my children would tolerate a bottle, so I did whatever I had to do.

The situation at assemblies was similar until after my second child was born. Then they started having those "mothers rooms" for us to go to.

A contented nursing baby is much better company than a crying hungry one!

Ruth

• Scully
    Scully
    I would feel uncomfortable if a woman standing next to me in a store all of a sudden whipped out her breast. Most places have a public restroom, and there's usually not a problem with going into the restroom to change the child, so why would it be any different having to go into the restroom to feed it too?

Tuesday, next time you're hungry, why not try taking your lunch or whatever into a public restroom, sit on the toilet and have your meal right there?

Do you think that suggestion is gross and disgusting and insulting?

If you do, then don't expect a mom to feel any less grossed out or disgusted or insulted when you suggest that they take their baby into a dirty, germy and smelly public restroom for their feeding.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I don't mind as long as it's preferably done discreetly, which most mums tend to do.

There was even a mum breastfeeding her baby in church the other week - even though we have a creche room where parents can take their babies and toddlers to play etc if they like. Nobody minded, most didn't even notice

• Brother Apostate
  • Brother Apostate
  • Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

My view of breastfeeding in public is William's face and an inch or so of my breast. Everyone else's view is the back of his head.

I have breastfed in cafes, restaurants and pubs, on top of a mountain, and next to the main arena at a country fair. Most people don't even notice that I am breastfeeding. I am discreet, but William is a neat feeder (or at least he was when he was smaller), but to be honest I don't see what the problem would be if someone did see (GASP!) a flash of nipple. It is what tits are for, for God's sake!

If seeing a woman breastfeeding makes you uncomfortable, feel free to put a blanket over YOUR head.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Tuesday, next time you're hungry, why not try taking your lunch or whatever into a public restroom, sit on the toilet and have your meal right there?

Do you think that suggestion is gross and disgusting and insulting?

If you do, then don't expect a mom to feel any less grossed out or disgusted or insulted when you suggest that they take their baby into a dirty, germy and smelly public restroom for their feeding.

Hmmmm.... I guess my view of what's in a ladies public restroom is only from the places I cleaned when I was in High School. Most of them that I went to had a changing area complete with chairs that could be sat on. I'm not saying all places do, but all the ladies restrooms I was in cleaning had them. As for me taking my lunch in the dirty disgusting restroom, if there's no break room where I'm working (and once again I worked in cleaning for a while) I had no issue with sitting on the sink and eating my lunch or whatever snack I might have. The child is eating off of his mother's breast, I'm not saying she rubs her nipple on the toilet seat before feeding the child, just like I wouldn't be rubbing my sandwich on the toilet seat or the floor before eating it.

And maybe I'm picturing the public feeding incorrectly, the way the original post came out to me was that I'm walking down the supermarket isle and next to me a woman whips out her breast to feed her kid. I would be a bit shocked at that and it would probably make me uncomfortable. If I walked by a woman sitting at a table feeding her child with a blanket as some of the people are suggesting here I doubt I would even think she was doing anything but holding her child.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit