Knocking forum is now open on PBS website

by Jourles 71 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Actually, I am glad they have the rule that you can't paste scripture and literature. While it can serve its purpose for apologists to show contraditions, it also serves to take away the fire of the JWs. If they can't quote vertabim from the Watchtower, they may actually have to use logic and reason. I really doubt there will be many witnesses who post anyway, but if they do, they will have to leave the Watchtower at the door! By the way, I am kcgirl over there. :)

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

I posted something regarding the demographics of the PBS audience. This whole thing is a non-issue because the viewers are either going to be A) JWs or B) ex-JWs. The place where we have the upper hand though is with $$$. Public Broadcasting outlets listen to their subscribers more than the general public. I doubt JWs contribute to Public Broadcasting on a regular basis.

• pollyana
    pollyana

This is lifted right from the PBS site forum (posted here for educational purposes and proper citation given)

<quote>KNOCKING reveals how a misunderstood and often derided Christian group, the Jehovah’s Witnesses, has impacted society in ways far greater and more surprising than a knock on the door.
    </quote>

• rebel8
    rebel8

I agree probably most people who have never been jws would not intentionally look for a PBS forum about Knocking.

I do not agree it's useless to post over there. Some people who saw Knocking or want to look something up about it will go to Google, and our posts will show up in the search results. jws will also see those search results--people have left the Borg after searching Google and clicking links to here or elsewhere.

I get the idea that the mods will remove any posts that are (a) quotes from wt literature if they contradict what they put in their film, or (b) anything that does not directly relate to the topics discussed in the film.

My only reason for posting the quotes about wt racism and Nazi conciliation were to show that the wts is incorrectly portrayed in Knocking as being anti-Nazi, anti-racism, pro-equality. Even those posts were deleted.

If you start posting stuff about jws that are not covered in Knocking, your posts will probably be deleted.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

TAKE IT EASY LET IT DEVELOP SLOWLY DON'T POST RASHLY PBS Knocking thread has opened up,easy one step register Join in.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

http://discussions.pbs.org/viewtopic.pbs?p=550774&highlight=#550774

Below from Moderator interesting

The discussions on these boards are rather heated. Relax everyone! Don't worry about this documentary turning anyone.

1) PBS is not even a ratings contender.
    2) The demographic of public broadcasting is not prone to change religions based on something they see. Also, PBS demographic is has a higher education and higher income than the average television viewer and the percentage of JWs with a higher education is lower than the average demographic which shows a trend.
    3) 80% of the people watching Knocking will either be JWs or people who do not agree with the JWs.
    If you are a paying member of your local PBS affilate, then you can contact them and request whether they should play this show or not. Although anyone can request it, the high rollers have more of a say because government funds make up very very little of a PBS' budget. I doubt many JWs contribute to public broadcasting.

• bavman
    bavman

I have to say. I think the discussion going on there right now is one of the most interesting things I have seen in a long time. Ex-dubs and active-dubs actually talking...

• Jourles
    Jourles

You're right bavman. I haven't had this much fun posting in a looooong time.

JW's are actually conversing with me!! Woohoo! They're not shunning me!

• sf
    sf

Just how long does one wait for the email confirmation after registering?

sKally

• moshe
    moshe

You know that is what JW's need- a conversation with people who can see through their lies and take away their literature and Bible. Let's just talk about how we feel and why we do what we do. I once got a discussion going after a book study ( I was undercover, out of town) about blood transfusions and why people feel JW's are wrong. Just talking. Some people really started to open up a little and they were unsure about the blood issue, too. Well. the elder in charge called an end to the discussion right away.

I posted a few days ago, too. This movie could be a good talking point and and excuse for everyone to make random calls to KH's after it airs on PBS- They are so proud of themselves that I am sure they will eagerly answer any call from us to talk about that movie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit