Were you a "Born-In", or were you "Converted"?

by Warlock 75 Replies latest jw friends

• daystar
    daystar

My dad and his family had been fringe Witnesses, but he'd not been anywhere near active in forever. My mom was... protestant? before she married my dad, but hadn't been to a church service to my knowledge in for-ev-er.

So after I was born, when I was one year old, an older Witness couple came to their door and started a study with them. This couple became sort of surrogate grandparents to me.

So, raised in, not exactly born in, though the distinction is insignificant. I was out not long after my 18th birthday, never baptised, but shunned nonetheless. YAY!

• Twitch
    Twitch

Born and raised in. Not dunked. Walked away 20 yrs ago, never went back, (well one memorial actually, five yrs after, never again)

• Gayle
    Gayle

Raised in since 9 yrs old. Baptized at 11 yrs old. Pioneered 5 yrs, Bethel 5 yrs, stopped at 38 yrs old,,out for 20+ yrs.

Wow, this is a neat "Stand & be counted" thread,, impressive to see a list of XJW cult survivors. Would like to see this thread grow.

• Gopher
    Gopher

In JW literature, they say conversion is a necessary step before baptism. So even if you were "born in", like I was, at the baptism talk when you stand up as a candidate, they ask if you have turned around from your past life course. What life course could they have meant? I was a mere 16, and had never known anything but life as a JW.

• hambeak
    hambeak

Born in and a third generation of brain washing.k

Made my life miserable and left in the early 80's

A lot of good things but too much control and destroying of families. Not a Christian principal

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Born in...4th generation. Faded around 2000/2001.

Swalker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit